Quantcast

Outlaws & Tire Mounting

I recently got a set of Azonic Outlaws wheels. Went to mount tires tonight: Hutchinson Octopus 2.5 front, Tioga White Tiger 2.5 rear. Holy bloody hell! :mumble: I have never had so much trouble getting tires on rims! The Octopus was bad; the White Tiger was goddam near impossible!

Has anyone else experience difficulty mounting tires on the Outlaws? I don't know if I just happened to pick the two tightest-fitting tires on the planet or what, but crap, I thought I was going to blow a gasket. And I was out of beer! :redhot: After tonight's experience, those treads are staying on those wheels 'til, roughly, hell freezes over....

At least now getting tires on my Tioga DH rims will seems like a walk in the park... :rolleyes:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It's the rims. Some rims are harder to mount tires on than others - my Rhyno Lites are tough to mount tires on, too.

Try some soapy water, makes it a thousand percent easier.

Thanks Binary. Yes, I've had issues with Rhyno's, too. Box-section rims (e.g. Rhyno's, Tioga DH's, etc) in general always seem to be harder than the V-section rims, like on the Outlaws. Up until last night I've never really had too bad of a cursing-fest with a V-section rim...

I must have been operating on the high-side of the diameter tolerance for the rims, and the low tol for the tires. Plus, for as burly as the White Tigers are, they have a kevlar bead. I've found that kevlar likes to "wrap" itself around the outside of the rim if a tire is a particularly tight fit, whereas steel beads - once persuaded - will POP nicely into place.

...I would have not only been drinking beer last night had I had some, but probably mixing it with the soap and water I was already using... :rofl:

I guess I should check now and see it the tires actually held air... I'm a little afraid to. ;) Cheers.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I require 2 Park metal levers and a beater plastic one, but I have still managed to pinch a couple tubes. Being sober helps too.

Outlaws are worth it though.

BrandonWatts

Monkey
May 4, 2005
raymond, WA
yep definetly a pain in the ass the mount tires on. i ended up brake my tire iron putting on a kenda nevgal. i would agree that outlaws are worth the money though i have put them through hell and back

:thumb: :love: : Park metal tire levers. I never leave home without mine.

Glad to know that I'm not the only one who has found Outlaws rims to be "difficult". They're headed up to Whistler next month, so we'll see if they live up to their rep. I truly hope so, for all the trouble it was getting rubber on them.

I went through two QuickSticks last night as well, and pinched the tube once. That almost pushed me over the edge... :banghead:

...About three years ago I remember being in the parking lot of the lift at the now-defunct Moab Rim chairlift, waiting for a race to start, and laughing at a buddy who was struggling to get some Intense FRO's on a set of, if memory serves, Mag30's. He was having a bugger of a time with it... I hate irony. ;)

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
i've never had any more trouble mounting tires on my outlaws than I have with any other wheels. my kenda tires went on pretty easy, maxxis high roller was fine too.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
In fact I know it was super easy to get my high roller on and off. I had to do it tonight during a ride when I snapped the valve stem completely off the maxxis rim strip.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
dfinn said:
i've never had any more trouble mounting tires on my outlaws than I have with any other wheels. my kenda tires went on pretty easy, maxxis high roller was fine too.
:stupid:

I can tell you that WTB and Maxxis tires go on fairly easy.