Quantcast

Overly vivid imaginations

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I am writing this while sitting on he edge of my bathtub at 11:00pm. I had been asleep since 9:00pm after a very long and tiring weekend in Portland. I finished reading Dragonflight, which is on my list of top 100 greatest science fiction and fantasy novels of all time. I couldn't check out any of the novels I knew offhand from my library at home, so I went to the bookstore and saw World War Z. I know WWZ is on the list, so I downloaded a copy. That was today around 2pm, and I have read over half of it already.

Reading science fiction and fantasy novels almost forces you to have a vivid imagination, because you need to see the worlds and such of your book. The issue that I have is that I usually have great dreams in line with the books I am reading. As I mentioned, I am currently. The story is about a great zombie epidemic spreading world wide. That is now stuck in my head, and creating some awfully vivid dreams that are relatively unsettling and making my sleeping in a relaxed manner impossible.

Does anybody else suffer from this problem? I really want to finish reading the book, but my imaginations makes it very difficult to sleep at the same time. Am I a lone soul with this issue?

Last edited:

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I'm the same especially with my history of severe insomnia. Usually a shot of whiskey and some pron ease my mind enough to go back to sleep.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Yeah I definitely have issues with not sleeping because of dreams. Also my dreams are mostly nightmares so I wake up about 5-6 times a night. Some nights are good, some nights are bad but I've had that problem since I was a little kid so I've just gotten used to it.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
That's why you're not supposed to read scary books before bed.
I read a bunch more this morning, and I think that if I had made it the additional chapter I would have been fine. I stopped at the 'world is ending' part of the book. The next chapter was about the turn around. Positive stories -> Positive dreams.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
My problem is more that if I really get into a book, I'll keep reading until I fall asleep with the book on my chest. Then I have to go back the next day and re-read 20 pages.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
My problem is more that if I really get into a book, I'll keep reading until I fall asleep with the book on my chest. Then I have to go back the next day and re-read 20 pages.
:stupid:

I do that all the time.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i can't fall asleep on my back.