Quantcast

Overtime policy at your company?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
We just got a memo here at Xerox that changes how we get overtime pay. They say it's because the current policy "exceeds what other companies offer" and they are just becoming more in line with what's standard. So the question is, for monkeys who are eligible for overtime pay:

1) If you work a Sunday, do you get paid double time?

2) If you were to take 2 days vacation and then work 3 ten hour days in a work week, would you recieve 6 hours overtime pay?

3) What company do you work for?

If you aren't comfortable posting what company you work for, it would be cool if you could PM it to me. I am only interested in policies for specific companies, I won't tell anyone who you work for.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
SkaredShtles said:
What's "overtime"? :confused:
Then again, what's "working" :think:

When I use to "work" my work week was 35hrs. Overtime was being paid at 40hrs... but get this, from 35 to 40 we didn't get paid at all!!!

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
Technically no, but if I come in for 4 hours I'll charge 6ish or something.

2) If you were to take 2 days vacation and then work 3 ten hour days in a work week, would you recieve 6 hours overtime pay?
Yes. Our overtime goes into banked time (straight rate) to get paid out every 6 months if we don't take it as holidays.

We're a small oil and gas engineering company. About 25 people and privately owned by one guy.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
We have a crapload of different overtime policies, depending on the type of employee and what (if any) union they are a member of. Really, the rules are too complex to list them all here.

But to answer your questions:

1) Some do and some don't. Office folks like yourself do not.

2) Yes. (well I wouldn't but hourly folks would)

3) I work for a hospital and generally speaking their compensation policies are very complicated.

PonySoldier

Monkey
May 5, 2004
Woodland Park Colorado
1.) No its straight OT or I'll offer the minions an alternate day off of their choosing.
2.) No vacation and labor hours are tracked separately.
3.) Spectrum Mapping, LLC.

I'm salaried so none of this applys directly to me..

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
1)no
2)no, basically I have to WORK 40hrs a week before I get OT. If I take sick time or vacation time I don't get OT till my total hours WORKED reach 40. It sucks and I got stuck in that situation last week. Thank god my company is small so we shifted my hrs from last week to this week so I'll get the OT.

Sounds like you are getting what the state minimum allows. That is f'ing stupid that they would tell you they have to lower their standards so they are closer to what other companies do. I'm sorry for you that you are stuck there!!!

I work for a small company so it probably wouldn't matter where I work.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I'm at the highest pay grade in my org that still receives time and a half overtime. Above my grade, it's straight time for time worked.

1: Yes, double time on Sundays. *unless that's a normal work day in your schedule.
2: Have to work 40 to start getting overtime.
3: Local Government

That being said. My department tries very hard to not allow overtime in order to keep their budget in line. At best people get comp time which follows the same rules.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
1) Sunday was just another day of the week.
2) My vacation was limitied to sometime at the beginning of June.
3) Colorspot

Oh yeah. I worked in agriculture and they are exempt from most(all) overtime rules. I had better benefits when I was a sacker at a grocery store --Sundays 2X and Holidays 3X.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I don't work overtime since I've moved, but I'll answer for my previous company:
No. Time and a half, like normal. Double time was for holidays only.

Yes, we were paid overtime based on an 8 hour work day.

PM sent.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I work for the City of NY. Sunday is time and a half, plus premium.. it works out to just under double time.

I work a 35 hr work week. if i take 2 days off (14hrs) those hrs are counted... once i hit the 36th hr in a week, whether im actually in work or vacation for a few days i get paaid overtime

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
1. Sunday is just like any other day.
2. Have to actually work 40 hours before OT can be logged, otherwise it's just straight time.
3. Uncle Bill

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Echo said:
No. It's unpaid if you 've already put in your 40, otherwise, it's just another workday. There are special cases that are approved for overtime, but even then it's only at your regulary hourly rate.

Not sure why you'd do this. If I work 30 hours after charging 2 days (16 hours) to leave, I go back and correct my timecard to only charge 10 hours to leave.

Sparta, Inc.

I think it's important to note that in my case, things are a bit different. We don't have holidays per se, nor do we have sick time. We have a leave pool that we use as we need to. Our work week is 40 hours in 7 days. For most of us that directly support a customer, that 40 hours is M-F, but we have programmers that work interesting schedules.

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
Echo said:
No special pay for Sunday. I would only have to work a Sunday because I wanted to "catch up."

Echo said:
No. We are salary plus commission, no OT pay at all.

Echo said:

If you aren't comfortable posting what company you work for, it would be cool if you could PM it to me. I am only interested in policies for specific companies, I won't tell anyone who you work for.
I'll PM you.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Echo said:
1) If you work a Sunday, do you get paid double time?.
Before the aircraft industry went in the crapper pre 9/11 we would get a comp day the following week. Post 9/11 when we had a huge downturn, you worked Sunday and didn't make a peep about asking for a comp day or getting paid (implication you were lucky you had a job)

Echo said:
No. We are expected to work a minimum of 44 hours a week (but only get paid for 40), this yeilds a "meets requirements" on ones annual performance review. If you want exceeds expectations then you'd better be prepared to work 50+ uncompensated hours a week.

Our salaried policy is if you work less than 40 hours you get paid for howevery many hours you worked, however if you work more than 40 hours you only get paid for 40..........so it's not really "salaried" in the traditional sense........only in the sense that it benifits the company.

Echo said:

If you aren't comfortable posting what company you work for, it would be cool if you could PM it to me.
I'll PM you.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Echo said:
We just got a memo here at Xerox that changes how we get overtime pay. They say it's because the current policy "exceeds what other companies offer" and they are just becoming more in line with what's standard. So the question is, for monkeys who are eligible for overtime pay:

1. No but they did pay doubletime and a half if you work on a Holiday and a shift differential($.50/hr?) for Graveyard.

2. They only payed overtime if you actually worked 40+ hours.

3. I don't work there anymore, but it is called Stream International in Beaverton OR

Where I work no there is a no overtime policy.

schweino1

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
after 47.5 hours during the week, everything is OT...

also, the first 9 hours of OT are double, everything from there is "triple"....

las week i had 31 hours of OT.... 9 doubles and 22 triples... jejejeje

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
1) No.
2) Nopers.
3) Arizona State Gov't.

Since I work for the gov it probably has no bearing on your job in the private sector. I do prefer the way we handle over, though. We don't get paid overtime but we are only "allowed" to work 80 hours/pay period. Hours worked over that 80 are built up as comp. time which we can then take off whenever we want (within reason). It allows me to hit the trails during the week when no one else is around.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Echo said:

I’ve been a salary employee nearly my entire working career—almost 9 years now. However, a majority of our employees are hourly at my work.

1) No one would work Sunday at my company. Although, if a full-time employee works Saturday it is time-and-a-half.

2) No. At my work, an hourly employee gets their vacation check the Friday before their vacation. If an employee works on their vacation, they get paid their normal wage, plus vacation pay. Basically, getting an extra week of pay--no OT time is paid-out.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Looks like maybe we aren't getting shafted so bad.

It is funny though how they decide to save money by cutting the benefits of their lowest paid people, instead of perhaps cutting the $25,000 to multi-million dollar bonuses of managers and corporate officers.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
I'm salary but I get paid OT, but it's not time and a half or double time. It's just regular pay.

I would get paid the 6 hours, but it would be regular pay

I work for an industrial design/interior design company.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Overtime, those were the days...

When I worked compressed work weeks at Intel, it was sort fo strange, but worked out well. You did 3-12 hour days. You got 1.5 time 3 hours out of every day. Then every other week (when busy, or if you asked to work) you got 11 hours overtime.

Doubletime was only for holidays.

My last contract, I got unlimited overtime, but it was straight pay no matter how many hours it was.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Echo said:

It is funny though how they decide to save money by cutting the benefits of their lowest paid people, instead of perhaps cutting the $25,000 to multi-million dollar bonuses of managers and corporate officers.
*YAWN*

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Echo said:

"I have people skills!!!"

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Echo said:
I don’t get overtime here but 5 years ago for a major medical mgt company here:
1. NO. We NEVER qualified for double overtime
2. No you physically have to work 40 hours to qualify for overtime
3. answered.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Double check the OT laws of your state. I worked for a company that paid OT after 8 hours each day due to state law (Alaska).
That same company had an operation in WA and signed a contract with the union members that violated WA state law. That later turned into a settlement with the state and large 'catchup' payments to the workers. So just bcz they're changing the policies, doesn't mean they're following the rules.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Echo said:

welcome to capitalism...my fave is when the Board of Directors (who are mainly (or were) CEOs and officers of other companies) vote on compensation for the CEO and company officers. can you say 'old boys club'? of course they are gonna get huge packages.

for the record, i'm straight salary, so any hours i work over 40, or on a weekend, are not rewarded in any fashion ($ or comp time).

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal

No. I get time and a half for anything over 40 hours per week. I have heard rumors of the elusive double time, but I have never met anyone who has achieved it. This is a recent change. We used to be salaried employees/slaves.

NO. My vacation is counted in hours, not days. If I wanted to take monday and tuesday off I can either use my vacation to make up the hours or work a really long 3 days.

Kaiser Permanente. Which can actually be a good company to work for. We get incredible medical benefits and I get about 28 days off a year.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
We have a general policy of no overtime here. That is, they believe that they have hired enough people to do all work in a work week. So if you go overtime you don't get paid for it. Total BS because it happens all the time because they haven't really hired enough people.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I work for a subsidiary of a large corporation.

I get no overtime.

I have to work long long hours and on weekends.

I get no comp time.

We do get "flex hours" which means we can choose the hours we work per day as long as we start before 8:00 AM and stay until 5:00PM. Seriously, they consider a it a benefit that we can choose to come in early or stay late when working unpaid over time.

I do get 3 weeks vacation, 1 week personal business and like 40 days/year of sick time. Any taken sick time requires a doctors note although I have never known anyone that has been asked to show one. Personal business has to be approved as personal business like doctors appointments or meetings with lawyers.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Echo said:

Since getting my first "real" job out of college I've only been in a situation to get OT once...when I was contracting.

1) Nope, Sunday was same as any other day

2) Nope, you have to actually work over 40 hours to get the OT, vacation and holidays do not count as "work".

3) I was contracing at Microsoft but was employed by Volt