Quantcast

Overweight in need of some bike recomendations

jhoodpa

Chimp
Jan 26, 2011
Hello everyone, my first post and I have a couple of questions. I used to ride street when i was a teenager but really stopped after starting college. I am not terribly overweight at about 305LBS and I want to start riding again to lose weight and enjoy myself. I dont have many trails or anything around me so im looking for a street bmx bike and I just need to know is there anything on the market that will support my weight and my height. So to summarize Im 6'1 305lbs looking for a bmx street bike that can support my height and weight, will be riding street and flatland mainly no trails. And i need to know what to look for when buying a bike and what type of bike to buy. Thanks for the help

nyhc00

Monkey
Jul 19, 2010
CT
definitely go with a metal bmx complete.

But realistically, a lot of bmx bikes will support you. You just gotta build it with strong parts.
Good call, I was thinking Metal would be the best place to start. Or possibly Sean Burns' new comany Bone would deth. But i would try and find a cheap complete on craigslist, then replace parts when they break. See if you can find a bike check from Micah Kranz, he's about your size and shreds.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Hello everyone, my first post and I have a couple of questions. I used to ride street when i was a teenager but really stopped after starting college. I am not terribly overweight at about 305LBS and I want to start riding again to lose weight and enjoy myself. I dont have many trails or anything around me so im looking for a street bmx bike and I just need to know is there anything on the market that will support my weight and my height. So to summarize Im 6'1 305lbs looking for a bmx street bike that can support my height and weight, will be riding street and flatland mainly no trails. And i need to know what to look for when buying a bike and what type of bike to buy. Thanks for the help
with all respect to the Truth and Nyhc who are both respected riders . . . . DO NOT GET A 20" WHEEL BMX !!!!!!!!!!!!! . . . as much as i have loved 20" for 20+ years, i can guarantee you that when you are bigger guy (even myself at 6'1", i used to be 180, now i'm 210 and a decade older) a 20" wheel bike does not suit. Your best buy will be a 24" BMX. You have a lot of options: LIQUID Feedback 24" frame and build, Sunday Model C 24", We The People 24" Avenger, S&M . . . and many others. check out cruiserrevolution.com . A lot of my friends have gone back and tried 20" and although we all still love them, I swear, most of your progression will come on a 24" BMX.

the other thing i would add . . . is go ahead and look for a BMX cruiser that is front AND rear 14mm axles. you will see that the Haro Backtrail and DK General Lee cruisers from a few years ago were both beefier bikes than the current offerings which tried to slim down a little. because you are a bigger guy, there is no reason to focus on a light bike. you want a strong bike. both of these definitely do the job. add also the Mirraco Icon 20Forty.

If you want to go more MTB style, check out the Haro Steel Reserve series. They have an all-rigid that is around $550 complete. Very solid. Phil Sundbaum rides them and he is like 6'5" and well over 200 lbs. Check this:

Last edited: