Quantcast

p.1 vs. cruiser

ncxj

Chimp
Aug 9, 2005
Garner, NC
I know theres been alot of posts about mtb vs cruisers, but I just wanted to know what you guys thought. Should I get an '04 model p.1 or a cruiser like a General Lee? I mostly ride the DJs in my neighborhood and some other DJs in the area, but I will also be using this bike to do some urban at college between classes (its the only way id make it through the day). Ive riden my brothers cruiser and really like it, but ive never ridden a DJ specific MTB and think I would like the smoothness. Any suggestions?

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
I own a 2005 P.1 A1, same thing as the 2004 and I really like it. Its a great all around frame. I have mine set up to do DJ,FR, and Urban and it works great. If your bro already has the Cruiser, then no sense in buying the same bike as him. Get something different from him....like the p.1.

ncxj

Chimp
Aug 9, 2005
Garner, NC
His cruiser is set up for racing, so im looking at something that I can throw around on some urban and not worry so much about breaking it on the jumps. The thing I like about the cruiser is the manuverability of it.

nato

Monkey
Dec 27, 2005
Chicago
I was planning on building something like a P1 after test riding one. In my quest to build the perfect 24" I found the DK general lee and test rode it. Its very manuverable and I found it to be a great overall ride. There are a couple of parts that are crap such as the wheels. The rear wheel will probably have to be replaced if you ride hard. I decided to ditch my previous plan of building and upgrade the general instead.

EricMcFlow

Monkey
Jul 9, 2005
Chicago
nato said:
I was planning on building something like a P1 after test riding one. In my quest to build the perfect 24" I found the DK general lee and test rode it. Its very manuverable and I found it to be a great overall ride. There are a couple of parts that are crap such as the wheels. The rear wheel will probably have to be replaced if you ride hard. I decided to ditch my previous plan of building and upgrade the general instead.

Nate, you would be amazed how much better it feels now with a new headset. And, its quite too!

You get ahold of Trevor?

nato

Monkey
Dec 27, 2005
Chicago
Spunger said:
I love my P1 you can see why

I'm calling him this comming week, I thought that it would be wise to do it at the shop with my boss... he's a little skepticle at the moment and I can't blame him... he doesn't want to be tied down/ screwed with a company he doesn't know. P.S. What headset you put on?

Spunger- dude, thats one attractive P1... BE PROUD.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
nato said:
I'm calling him this comming week, I thought that it would be wise to do it at the shop with my boss... he's a little skepticle at the moment and I can't blame him... he doesn't want to be tied down/ screwed with a company he doesn't know. P.S. What headset you put on?

Spunger- dude, thats one attractive P1... BE PROUD.
I managed to get my as a frame only (thank you internet) for really, really cheap ($150 shipped) So I just used some extra parts I had and some new ones to build it up. It's really light, never had a bike that was so light.

I am using the FSA Pig DH Pro headset with a headlock system. I figured jumping bikes take alot on the headtube, especially since I'm not smooth at all LOL. It was a good headset for the $30-40 you can find them at. Sealed bearings and pretty strong cups. I have on my my DH bike and it's worked fine so I had no reason not to go with one.

I wish I had a different fork than the Minute (LOL Like the Pike or Gold Label) but the minute is LIGHT. Plus it's set at 100mm so it just loves jumps. I think I need a heavy spring though as the SPV pressure is maxed out and the adjuster is turned all the way down :rolleyes:

Lux Interior

Monkey
Jun 18, 2005
wait a minute, how come your P bikes look all nice, and mine has big scratches on the crank arms and chain stays and the derailer hanger is almost ground off?............oh yeah, now I remember, CAUSE I THRASH ON THAT PIG AND IT LIKES IT! Buy the P

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
P bikes are very nice, and a great deal if you can find a P1 used. I absolutely love my P1, very quick and maneuverable. Another vote for the P1

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
damn id go w/ the sruiser for SURE--rigid is better for commute, and 24"s r the way to go fro djs. Also it will make u a MUCH smoother rider. Go w/ the general