Quantcast

P.2 for trials?

oxygen_77

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Kent, WA
I recently test rode a Specialized P.2 (thanks Steve!) and wanted some of your opinions on using it as an intro. unmodified trials bike. I would like to get the P.2 and then a Surly 1x1 rigid fork so I could use the P.2 as a fully rigid bike for trials, and then swap back on the suspension fork for when I want to do some dirt jumping with it... any thoughts?

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
I considered the same thing. My problem was, I couldn't identify with myself, what I wanted to do (Street, DJ, or Trials). I was leaning to the trials side however. I didn't like the P2 because it had disc brakes (not good when you're new to trials). You'll have that rear disc bent in no time. I can't remember if there's a replaceable der. hanger for the rear, but I've already gone through one of those (and a rear der.). Where as the geometry would work 'okay' for a trials riding, I think the P is extremely heavy for that type of riding. What you'll end up with is something that's okay for everything, not not great for anything.

I ended up buying a trials frame"Planet X" and getting a front suspension fork for it. I can use it as a jump bike, or urban bike, but it works best as a Trials bike. I also just use my SC Bullit for Jibbing... its much more fun than a hard tail.

my 2 cents

oxygen_77

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Kent, WA
Ascentrek,

Thanks for the info... I think, from your input, that I'll be ok with the P.2. I don't want a trials specific bike and I want something heavy so know it won't crack if I decide to use the frame for some light downhilling as well. I've currently been building my trials skills on a full suspension Stumpjumper FSR and it's just too difficult to pivot front to rear with the suspension. As for the weight, my FSR is 31lbs so I think the P.2 won't be too heavy...

Thanks again!

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
I blew out my rear triangle on my FSR hopping on the rear wheel. The FSR was definitely not made for trials! After destroying it, I ended up buying the Bullit and a Trails specific bike.

You'll dig the P. bikes. I'd like to have one for skate parks.

African American Pirate

LostBoyScout

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Vancouver BC
Probably the biggest issue with trials in the P.2 is the length - the P.2 is very short, and for trials you want a longer bike! If you put a longer stem, like 100mm, on it, I'm sure it wouldn't be too bad - but a V-brake is generally much preferred over a disc (especially a Hayes Cable! Those just will NOT work for trials!), as you need lock-up. Put a V-brake on the back with a set of trials pads, and a longer stem, and you could get the job done. But it's still no trials bike :)

oxygen_77

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Kent, WA
Originally posted by Enduro
I thought P.2's were not V-brake compatible.
they aren't... at least not stock... I already bought mine and just got the rigid Surly 1x1 fork I ordered for it, unfortunately I haven't been able to ride it because I broke my collar bone a week and a half ago. As soon as I'm healed I plan on riding it nonstop...