Quantcast

P.Grom????

sprouty

Chimp
Aug 27, 2008
Last year I picked up a Specialized Rockhopper Pro. I like the bike but I ride more urban than anything. I have been kicking myself in the ass for not buying a P Series instead. Out of the 300ish miles (I know I barely ride) I have only been in the dirt for about 5 miles. My dad is now looking to possibly buy my bike, He has already put about 150 miles on it so I know he likes it. The bike store can get a P.Grom in by Friday for an out the door price of $640.

Some things I would like opinions on are:
-Is $640 a decent OTD price for the P.Grom?
-Any opinions on the P.Grom?
-I know that the P.Grom is smaller than the rest of the P.Series, but I have never seen or sat on one. I am assuming it would kinda be a cross between a BMX and a mountain bike. I grew up on mostly BMX bikes and think I would feel comfortable on it but any other thoughts on size would be insightful. One of my shops tells me it's a kids bike and the other said it would be fine for cruising. I am 5'11" by the way.

From this,

to this.

I have been thinking about finding a place to post my bike for sale or trade. I guess I will have to take a look at the for sale section.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
I have never checked out a P.Grom. My first reaction is don't buy one--it is meant for kids. I'm not sure how these measurements were taken, but the website says that it's a 21.1" actual top tube.

The discontinued P.Street was 24" wheel specific and I'm pretty sure it had a 22"tt. (center of seat tube to center of head tube).

A bike like the Union Street Molly Maguire is 22.2"tt. That's more what you should be looking for if you're going for 24" wheel specific. unionstreetbikes.com

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=34148

Size L

Seat Tube Length - Center to Top 332mm

Top Tube Length (Horizontal) 550mm (21.65 inches)

Top Tube Length (Actual) 536mm (21.1 inches)

Chainstay Length 390mm

Bottom Bracket Height - Low Setting 295mm

Seat Tube Angle (Actual) - Low Setting 71°

Head Tube Angle - Low Setting 69°

Wheel Base 1006mm

Standover Height 684mm

Head Tube Height 110mm

Handlebar Width 620mm

Stem Length 40mm

Crank Length 165mm

Seatpost Length 300mm

sprouty

Chimp
Aug 27, 2008
Thanks for the response. I am actually looking for a complete bike. I am also on a tight budget. I am not sure what I am going to do. I am really trying to find a DJ/Urban set up for cheap in a 24 or 26. I also don't want a single speed and would prefer front and rear brakes. My local bike shop said they could get a Thread 8 for $750. I am really clueless what I should do at this point. A 24 does sound nice though. I am gonna keep researching.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Thanks for the response. I am actually looking for a complete bike. I am also on a tight budget. I am not sure what I am going to do. I am really trying to find a DJ/Urban set up for cheap in a 24 or 26. I also don't want a single speed and would prefer front and rear brakes. My local bike shop said they could get a Thread 8 for $750. I am really clueless what I should do at this point. A 24 does sound nice though. I am gonna keep researching.

you can still have a bmx-y feel on a 26". a true DJ bike will feel a lot different than your Rockhopper. specialized p2, giant stp, and Easterns are all excellent completes.

not to question your preferences.... but are you sure you want gears? if you have a bmx background, you're used to standing up and mashing to get up hills. if you're riding 'urban' doing 180s and rollbacks, hopping on ledges etc. the gears will just get in the way and constantly require maintenance especially on an entry level bike. i have seen a lot of people take their gears off once they get into jumping, but i haven't seen anyone say they wish they had them. unless you're doing xc rides and trying to keep up with xc'ers or want a really fast commute or something. (even on xc rides i usually keep up with or beat weekender-type-riders except for serious climbs) ......... anyway just my 2 cents.

Last edited: