Quantcast

P2 or MOB?

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
845
0
San Jose, CA
So I want to get a new jump bike, and the bikes that I am looking at are the new Specialized p2 and the Black Mrkt MOB. I can get the Specialized through my shop, and I would have to pay more for the MOB. I would like gears, but they are not necessary, I would rather have a better frame. I really just want to bike for jumping, any ideas?
 

RobsterCrw

Chimp
May 13, 2005
32
0
Palo Alto, CA
I'm getting a sinister DNA. despite being such a huge company specialized's new P. frame is some hawt shiat. 4.75lbs with same chanstay lenght as the BM Mob (5.5lbs). If you wanna look cool or just support the little guy then the Mob is the right bike, but if you just want the better frame, the P. is soo choice, but not by much. Bear in mind that I am only talking about the 06 bikes. I'd take a Mob over a 05- P. any day.
 

RobsterCrw

Chimp
May 13, 2005
32
0
Palo Alto, CA
mobius said:
P3 isn't necessarily the nicer frame. the blackmrket is handmade by S&M and 4130
I used to diss on the quality of specialized because they were mass produced. Not anymore. I'd probably go with the MOB still, but the new frames from specialized are something else.
 

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
2,160
0
Around DC
Robster i wasn't i used to ride a specialized and now ride a giant, a cannondale, and a santa cruz. But the mob is definetly gonna be a nicer frame just looka t S&Ms bmxs.
 

RobsterCrw

Chimp
May 13, 2005
32
0
Palo Alto, CA
I was originally gonna get a Mob. One of the guys who had an 05 said that they were having problems with the disc brake mounts breaking off and the frame had tire clearance issues. Even still its one of the best frames out there and supposedly they have fixed the problems with the 05 in the new 06. Whether you get the P. or the Black Market, in all likely hood you will never regret your choice. I only decided on the Sinister DNA because it comes available in the color I want.
 

Palilla

Monkey
Jul 20, 2004
102
0
RobsterCrw said:
I was originally gonna get a Mob. One of the guys who had an 05 said that they were having problems with the disc brake mounts breaking off and the frame had tire clearance issues. Even still its one of the best frames out there and supposedly they have fixed the problems with the 05 in the new 06.
They have added a booster in between the seatstays and chainstays :thumb:

 

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
2,160
0
Around DC
If money is an issue i think blackmarket is coming out with a more affordable MOB but not sure when it will be available.
 
Aug 22, 2004
981
0
FEAR ME ^
ive heard nothing but good things about thre mob, as to the P it looks sweet, like and enduro-esque style hardtail. Id still take the mob but the P3 comes standard pretty loaded...
 

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
845
0
San Jose, CA
What I might do is buy the P2 and then a MOB frame and switch all the parts over if possible. Does anyone know if the MOB can take gears?
 

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
9,890
4
Hypernormality
Diamondback are gay in the butt. No offence to anyone who owns one. You know you'll all be buying a better bike when you can afford it.
 

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
1,813
1
LI, NY
Changleen said:
That's sick. Your component choice is very similar to mine. Scarily similar, actually. You just need some 24"s...
not mine. just one i happen to see on unrealcycles that had gears
 

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
1,054
0
SC
Dirt Jumper said:
Does this frame even stack up at all? :(

I actually saw some guy ride up to our trails with a bike like that. oddly he didn't really ride, so I didn't see the bike in action. How he knew how to get to our trails I'll never know. It was a really nice bike tough, especially for the price. I'd take one over a p-bike any day. Diamond bike has been know to be pretty lame in the past... but I swear this bike looked damn good to me for the value.
 

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
570
0
Catonsville, MD
Li'l Dave said:
What I might do is buy the P2 and then a MOB frame and switch all the parts over if possible. Does anyone know if the MOB can take gears?
It's available w/ vertical drop outs or you could use an axle mounted derailer hanger on a frame w/ horizontal dropouts
 

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
2,258
0
805
I just picked up a P1 (very similar to a P2, just a hair shorter chainstay's) and I am going to build it up, hopefully cheap, and go from there. The Black Market bikes look pretty sick but I don't think you could find one for the price of a new P2 (your shop cost) or online for that matter.

Both make great bikes, I'd have no issues running either one. Just whatever apeals to you more (like anything bicycle related)
 

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
845
0
San Jose, CA
Okay, I'm settled on the Black Market, but I'm not sure if I want to run a singlespeed, and I'm not sure what size to get. I don't want to use the bike for anything besides jumping, but I just dont know if singlespeed is the way to go. Also, the two sizes that are made are very similar, I am about 5'9", which one is good for me? Thanks.
 

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
1,054
0
SC
run it single speed, its a much better option for dj's. I've cased jumps, and had it throw my derailer out of wack on a # of occasions. There is noting worse then sprinting at a jump, and having your derailer "POP" on you.
I've had the best luck running either 33/15 and 36/16 gear ratio's on a 26" single speed jump bike. If you're 5'9" I would suggest the regular size frame ESPECIALLY if you are using it for jumping.

The MOB is a wise choice, be sure to post lot's of pictures once it's built!
 

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
3,501
0
six five oh
Spunger said:
I just picked up a P1 (very similar to a P2, just a hair shorter chainstay's) and I am going to build it up, hopefully cheap, and go from there. The Black Market bikes look pretty sick but I don't think you could find one for the price of a new P2 (your shop cost) or online for that matter.

Both make great bikes, I'd have no issues running either one. Just whatever apeals to you more (like anything bicycle related)
The p1 and the p2 are the exact same frame.
 

kidwoo

Celebrating No-Pants Day
Aug 25, 2003
22,446
2,122
In my pants
Li'l Dave said:
Okay, I'm settled on the Black Market, but I'm not sure if I want to run a singlespeed, and I'm not sure what size to get. I don't want to use the bike for anything besides jumping, but I just dont know if singlespeed is the way to go. Also, the two sizes that are made are very similar, I am about 5'9", which one is good for me? Thanks.
Singlespeed fo sho. How many times do you find yourself shifting while dirtjumping? I used to run gears but found that the only time I used them was during an accidental shift/derailleur flop.

The small mob frames are really small, like hitting your front wheel on your pedals small. I personally wounldn't get it. I've seen 3 of them owned by friends and they are really nice rides.