Quantcast

P90X Program

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
So in two months my gym membership ends and i move to TX. Although i will ride a lot more (from the proximity to trails, the influence/pressure from friends, plus group rides where i can learn more)...i'm still wondering what to do about a new gym membership versus doing something at home. a new gym membership could give me a venue of meeting people in the new town...but financially i'm not sure i can afford it after the move...atleast any time soon (i'm also not going to have a car immediately). i've seen the P90X infomercial, ironically at the gym while working out. Based on the little i know about weight training, it would seem there's definitely something there with this program. AND it could definitely be cheaper than a membership.

Has anyone tried this and if so, gotten results?

dhzion

Monkey
May 4, 2008
Mighty Zion
My brother and his wife have used it with amazing success actually. I have been two years off the bike now and am seriously considering it to get back in shape.

The thing I like about it is the versatility of the workouts...everything from yoga to kenpo to strength building.

From looking at the diet side of it it's nothing out of the ordinary other than it's structured to get you through the workouts if you do both simultaneously.

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
My brother and his wife have used it with amazing success actually. I have been two years off the bike now and am seriously considering it to get back in shape.

The thing I like about it is the versatility of the workouts...everything from yoga to kenpo to strength building.

From looking at the diet side of it it's nothing out of the ordinary other than it's structured to get you through the workouts if you do both simultaneously.

did they do it for the entire 90 days? how quickly did they start seeing results? any idea on how much it cost in additional weights and pull up bar to do the workouts?

dhzion

Monkey
May 4, 2008
Mighty Zion
He still uses the workouts almost a year later. He commented on results after the first phase during the rest week. I'm not sure exact overalls but I know the body fat loss and strength gains were tremendous.

Pretty sure the weight investment was minimal. I picked up a multi-function pull up bar for 40 bucks a couple weeks ago and not sure on the bands. Beachbody.com peddles the program as well as bands etc., probably a lot of info there.

The food budget should you choose to follow the diet is the $ killer, he said his food budget went up almost 300 dollars a month but he went full organic. But if you're already in decent shape and eating well I wouldn't sweat it too much. Like I said near as I can tell the diet is structured just to get you through the workouts alive and shred fat.

I've watched the commercial and still wouldn't go for it if I didn't see him. He did it religiously and it worked no questions asked.

My father, who is grossly overweight, is using just the eating regimen so far with great success as well until he can get more mobile.

Hope that all helps. :)

2xplosive

Chimp
May 23, 2008
P90x is really just dancing but flexing at the same time. If im not mistaken that program comes with a diet plan that does more then the actual workout does.

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
P90x is really just dancing but flexing at the same time. If im not mistaken that program comes with a diet plan that does more then the actual workout does.
really? my impression was that it was more about using your bodyweight to work your muscles in moves more like in bootcamp...pull ups, push ups, crunches, etc...but combining them in a routine so that you are always working something and that the 90 day program was intended to work your body out differently every 4 weeks so that you keep your muscles from getting used to the work out and therefore avoid plateauing.

i never really looked into the diet aspect.

dhzion

Monkey
May 4, 2008
Mighty Zion
I am actually now in possession of the program and Day 1 is tomorrow.

Umm, dancing, no. Most of it is resistance but also incorporates Kenpo, Yoga, Plyometrics, and a Cardio routine.

The nutrition plan isn't anything new, high protein, low fat, quality carbs. The difference is it's split into three phases like the workout program but they encourage you to use whatever phase of it works best for your body/goals with the program

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
I am actually now in possession of the program and Day 1 is tomorrow.

Umm, dancing, no. Most of it is resistance but also incorporates Kenpo, Yoga, Plyometrics, and a Cardio routine.

The nutrition plan isn't anything new, high protein, low fat, quality carbs. The difference is it's split into three phases like the workout program but they encourage you to use whatever phase of it works best for your body/goals with the program
what kind of accessories did you have to buy with it? weights? the pull bar? i'm curious at how much it cost in total.

dhzion

Monkey
May 4, 2008
Mighty Zion
what kind of accessories did you have to buy with it? weights? the pull bar? i'm curious at how much it cost in total.

Program, pull-up bar, resistance bands, and mat approx. $200

They recommend a heart rate monitor which I already had.

Supplements and nutrition will vary and are totally optional, I'm adhering to most of it to ensure I don't die the first week.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
My neighbor bought the DVD's off of CL. He came out of hiding after phase 1 and there was a definate change for the better. He's looking thinner and he's finally cleaning up his front yard.

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
My neighbor bought the DVD's off of CL. He came out of hiding after phase 1 and there was a definate change for the better. He's looking thinner and he's finally cleaning up his front yard.
i'm curious...by CL you mean craigslist? why would he buy it off of there instead of their website directly?

i am leaning towards doing this once i get to texas versus joining a gym right away.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Yup, craigslist. He said he got all the DVD's and diet stuff for $80.

edit: Just looked at the website and it said 3 payments of $39.99 ($120), so i figure $80 for everything isn't bad. Checked out CL for San Diego and someone's selling it for $50.

Last edited:

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
Yup, craigslist. He said he got all the DVD's and diet stuff for $80.

edit: Just looked at the website and it said 3 payments of $39.99 ($120), so i figure $80 for everything isn't bad. Checked out CL for San Diego and someone's selling it for $50.
the only thing that would make me think different about getting from someplace other than the site itself is that i thought it also came with the ability to register on their site and get added benefits from it.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
the only thing that would make me think different about getting from someplace other than the site itself is that i thought it also came with the ability to register on their site and get added benefits from it.
true... I never thought of that. The only thing I don't like is when I do buy stuff like that from overly commericalized websites, I usually get a bunch of telemarketing calls, spam, or junk mail soon after I buy or sign up.

I've seen the infomercials too and have been meaning to try it. I'm going to get call that person from CL to see if it's still avail. Who knows, I may have a new body before my bday.

dhzion

Monkey
May 4, 2008
Mighty Zion
Well, day one down.

Exhausted but content! I hope my energy levels get better, barely made it through work. To think 5 years ago I was a rough and tumble Marine. :(

I haven't got into the site much, not much spam coming in but the site just doesn't seem to offer the kind of motivation I'm after.

It is nice to get the lifetime disc replacement for 12 bucks if you buy it new I think.

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
i've started a "social group" for this where we can keep track of progress.

i was also talking with someone from the gym today who's uncle has used the program with great results. all he said was that it was pretty hard core right out the gate.

question...is it a daily routine? and how long does it take to do it?

dancorley

Chimp
Apr 20, 2008
Colorado
I completed my program in May. Did a little modification...worked out the 6 days and then took 3 days off (work schedule). Did measurements at the gym before and after w/good results: down 11", 22 lbs, 6% body fat, and am loads stronger. Blew my shoulder up in the first DS race of my season, and really avoided more serious injury due to the added muscle mass, flexibility and reflexes. Almost ready to repeat and go heavier on the weights. Highly recommend it.

dhzion

Monkey
May 4, 2008
Mighty Zion
Well, having some trouble sticking to the nutrition. Not that I'm eating bad my schedule is just really busy so I'm actually not eating enough and eating too late, getting in SEVEN servings of protein a day is not easy believe it or not. It's also like a zillion degrees here and I work outside so while I'm getting plenty of water my appetite just sucks.

I love beer as well and that just won't go away, ha! I know what kind of six pack I'll be showing off for life. :clapping:

Workout wise I feel alot stronger this week already and not so tore up sore on recovery.

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
Well, having some trouble sticking to the nutrition. Not that I'm eating bad my schedule is just really busy so I'm actually not eating enough and eating too late, getting in SEVEN servings of protein a day is not easy believe it or not. It's also like a zillion degrees here and I work outside so while I'm getting plenty of water my appetite just sucks.

I love beer as well and that just won't go away, ha! I know what kind of six pack I'll be showing off for life. :clapping:

Workout wise I feel alot stronger this week already and not so tore up sore on recovery.

i'm with ya on the beer...although for me it's wine. :biggrin: so i'm figuring if using their guidelines on diet and doing the program AND having my wine = 120/150X Program...i'm ok with that too.

good to hear you're feeling the affects of the workouts though. i have always found that to be a great motivator to keep pushing on!! :thumb:

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
Just started with the g/f yesterday. I'm sore as hell. Starting at 230 with what I'm assuming to be 18-20% bodyfat. If I get down to 200 I'll be around the 12-13% range. 3 months should be ample time to drop 30lbs despite mass increases.

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
I could barely walk yesterday because my obliques hurt so bad. I've honestly never been this sore in my life. Today my arms are toast.

We do the yoga portion tonight so that'll help things a good bit. I need to pick up a couple more sets of dumbbells because the 25s and 35s aren't cutting it so far.

I really thought the videos would be much cheesier and poorly done than they are. Given, it would be nice to have Tony Horton refrain from his lame joking around, he has a bit of decent advice.

I'm dedicated to the full 90 days so we'll see what the results are come April.

bandit350

Chimp
Aug 28, 2008
i run, ride, do training on the power tower, etc. to say p90x is just dancing is ridunculous. i started doing it as the local ymca is always so crowded that it isn't worth going. that is a tough program.
when i did plyo i was amazed at how sore i was. cyclists typically have some powerful legs but i was in for a rude awakening.

i got about 1.5 weeks in and had to stop due to injury (non p90x related). i have just begun a modified workout based off of p90x. it looks like some ankle surgery is approaching so i am very limited.

simply based off of the theory and then watching the workouts i would say it is worth it. it is a balanced approach to fitness that spells out what to do and when to do it.

one more thing. if you have room, i recommend picking up an ironman power tower for about $125. there are many other brands at different price points but they are a handy home gym.

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
since moving to texas last year july i haven't had the money to apply to any type of workout regimen (ie gym, p90x, etc.) and i'm really missing that. i used to love going to the gym and i miss that.

so now i'm thinking i'll use my tax return to buy something....just not sure how to go. can't do the gym thing still cause it's just too expensive. but i'm debating the p90x, a bowflex home gym or the bowflex selecttech dumbbells.

edit: bowflex gyms are out...maybe i will just buy a membership to the gym afterall. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
P-90x is more than worth the money IMO. You'll need either bands or dumbbells and possibly an in-frame pullup bar. I've given up on gyms for good. I'm tired of going to an overly crowded place where people hog machines and weights and insist on using their time to socialize rather than do something productive. I'm a fast mover with the weights and nothing pisses me off more than seeing people with three sets of dumbbells next to their bench taking 5 minute breaks between sets.

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
How about trying Crossfit, Simplefit or Gym Jones?
Minimal equipment needed.
i tried crossfit briefly. honestly...i found it difficult to "learn" on my own. i can't seem to wrap my brain around all the language of exercises...all the different names for the various movements, what they mean, etc. it seemed like i had to do all this research just to figure out a few moves.

thcrob

Chimp
Jan 22, 2009
P90x is good for the average person. It's really not on par with quality athletic workouts. In a sense, it's just a circuit training program made for the average joe. Unless you follow it strictly (by doing a ****load more than the video says) and eat correctly, you wont get the "look" that the guys on the video / commercial have.

If you arent an athelete, dont have a personal trainer, gym membership, or knowledge to reate your own program, P90x is great.

I would recommend a mix between crossfit and P90x once you get in shape though.

Atheletic training... P90X is no good
Average Joe... P90X is good for the price, if you want to spend more you can get a much better workout plan.

JayCee

Chimp
Jul 17, 2008
i tried crossfit briefly. honestly...i found it difficult to "learn" on my own. i can't seem to wrap my brain around all the language of exercises...all the different names for the various movements, what they mean, etc. it seemed like i had to do all this research just to figure out a few moves.

This sounds really assholeish, and I apologize in advance, but if you don't have the drive to research some excercise movements how motivated are you to make a change in yourself?

I know that sounds harsh, and I'm sorry for that, but I pretty much got myself into crossfit - its not that much research.

BikeLuvR904

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
I've been trying to decide whether or not to start P90x as well. I hear great things about it but haven't heard from anyone 1st hand. Its always a friend of a friend who knows someone who uses it.

Crashtest

Chimp
Jan 26, 2010
P90x is good for the average person. It's really not on par with quality athletic workouts. In a sense, it's just a circuit training program made for the average joe. Unless you follow it strictly (by doing a ****load more than the video says) and eat correctly, you wont get the "look" that the guys on the video / commercial have.

If you arent an athelete, dont have a personal trainer, gym membership, or knowledge to reate your own program, P90x is great.

I would recommend a mix between crossfit and P90x once you get in shape though.

Atheletic training... P90X is no good
Average Joe... P90X is good for the price, if you want to spend more you can get a much better workout plan.

LOL!!! have you actually tried it. There is no way you have done it if your laying out statments like that...lmao.

Sorry I love this statement...."If you arent an athelete, dont have a personal trainer, gym membership, or knowledge to reate your own program, P90x is great."
Because I'm on it right now. Im into my third week. and its not for average joe. It is tough as HELL. You need a certain level of fitness to do this program.
I ride 5x a week with a mix of DH, AM, XC and urban freestyle. I used to lift 4 days a week hard, until I started this program. I consider myself in very good shape. With a very healthy food regiment.
I started this because I could never reach that level of fitness Ive always strived for. And this is the ticket.
I am seeing amazing results. Abs being sculpted at an incredible speed. Dropped an inch in my waist. and thats three weeks.
So until you actually gone through hell dont say anything about it, because this program is crazy hard.
If you are very serious about getting in shape this program is well worth the dime. But you have to stick with it and do the diet, you will get some sick results quick.

Last edited:

Al C. Oholic

Monkey
Feb 11, 2010
FoCo
I have it and loved it. however, like any workout, it works different for different people and i built up way more muscle before really starting to burn fat. The army wasn't happy with my weight gain and made me quit.
However, my muscle gain was really rapid, about 10 lbs in three-four weeks, and it's an amazing workout being that you do it in your living room