Quantcast

BikeLuvR904

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
I was hoping to get started on p90x soon... does anyone have any great stories/ suggestions/ criticism with it? I'd love to hear anything you've got!

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I too am interested. A lot of guys I ride moto with swear that it kicked their @sses...but a lot of guys I ride moto with aren't in fantastic shape to begin with. Not all, but a lot. I'd be interested to hear input from someone who is already a fit cyclist of some kind.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
I've done some of the P90X routines. They are brutal. I thought I was in decent shape, but this proved to me that I was way out of shape.

A lot of the exercises are body weight exercises, which my wife (an exercise physiologist) says is good for you. You do need some weights, we have 2 sets of adjustable weights that we use.

My wife likes the routines, but she wants to edit all the DVDs so she can do a full body workout, instead of targeting areas.

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
i just finished phase 1 and now i'm starting phase 2 tonight...so far i have lost 12 pounds. the key to it, is diet and focus...if you don't change your diet then you won't see the results...i also suggest starting out slow...before i went into the full program i did a week of the cardio, and then a week of plyo cardo and kepo mixed up...i think that helped a lot when i went into the full program. i also suggest a recovery drink, they have one that obviously they suggest, but i used this and i make a shake with milk banana and peanut butter...it taste awesome and really helps...oh yeah DRINK WATER!!!

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
Been on it since Nov 1. Modified the diet (a little) but stick to it for the most part.
I'm doing the "classic" (there are three tracks you can take, classic, lean and doubles).
I have noticed a HUGE improvement in my cycling, espcially since I am now losing some lbs. The core strength routines have also helped enormously, it almost feels like my bike weighs 10 lbs less sometimes. I did derail on diet during Thanksgiving, but have gotten back on track this w/e. The combination of mixing up workout routines and just slight diet changes (more protein, less simple sugar carbs) has helped a ton also.
If you go for it be ready to work hard. It's worth it big time.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have tried to start it a number of times, but I can't get past week 3 because of time and I'm fat. :rofl:

The issue with me is time. Now that I am not in school, I am going to try it again. It is an ass kicker and by far the best program I think because of the way it's arranged.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
p90x is a good routine, what I like best about it is that it focuses on total body fitness and functional training.

I can't tell you how much excersize I see in the gym on a daily basis is so useless in the other 99% of your life as compared to the "not so fun" stuff involved in functional training.

With the diet and excersize combined p90x is a great routine for those that need a little creativity and motiviation thrown into their workout.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
My brother did the full 90 days. Lost 20 pounds, but definitely gained some muscle mass/weight, so he probably lost a lot more in body fat.

I hope to start it soon, but have been doing push-ups, pull-ups, and riding as much as possible to get ready for it.

The problem: I'm going to hate the diet.

skunkty14

Monkey
May 29, 2007
has anyone tried this vs crossfit?
+1. I riding buddy swears by Crossfit and is a pretty decent cyclist, adventure racing nut and runs marathons whenever he likes so my fat ass is obviously curious is I can turn this pile of pudge into even half of that.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
"somewhat" similar.

I do kinda whatever I want I use a mix of mountain biking, running, powerlifting, kettle bells, and strength endurance excersizes, but then I eat whatever I want and just make sure I don't gain any weight when I don't want to.

I'm naturally lean so that helps, curretn 5'10" 186, I'll cut back to 175 in the spring.

Crossfit type workouts and p90x are both great, I think with crossfit you will find it transfers over to biking/hiking/running/rock climbing and fun outdoor type activities better.

Another good resource for functional strength training is www.gymjones.com they post a lot of their workouts and the workouts intended purpose daily. very good for overall fitness.

plyo's and functional movements transfer over to real life very well, machines and strict lifting movements not as much. But a good cross of both combined with actual running around and stuff are the best mix in my opinion.

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
two different animals. p90x is an intensified version of Les Mills fitness classes. Crossfit focuses on olympic lifts, gymnastics moves, and over all functional strength. i honestly believe that you will get more out of crossfit. that being said, i would suggest not venturing on your own into crossfit unless you've participated in the essential classes at a minimum.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
For me it looked like P90X was a better fit personally because all I needed was a pull up bar, bands, and push up bars (optional). I use my ball at times for some of the stuff, too. But Crossfit looked like you needed more equipment like the bells and stuff.

Now I need to get off my ass, I feel like a slacker having not done the P90x for a while.

BillT

Monkey
I am half way through Phase 2 and I have seen great results. I have lost about 15lbs and over 2 inches off my waist and my riding has gotten much better (my friends curse the day I started doing p90x). For the program, I would suggest going with a couple of dumbells instead of bands if you can, a pull up bar, and maybe a set of perfect push-ups if you have any wrist issues. I would also suggest replacing the Yoga routine (90+ minutes long) with Core Synergistics if you find yourself a little low on time.

BikeLuvR904

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
You all have been a lot of help! obviously I'm not expecting this to be a miracle, but I want to mix up my normal excercise routine and try to do some core targeting. Building muscle mass at this point would be great.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Can anyone tell me that has the nutrition guide if there is and specific schedule to eat with? I got the DVD's sans nutrition guide, but I did manage to figure out the amounts I am supposed to eat, but I don't know when to eat them....If that made any sense...

HOOWAH

Monkey
Sep 16, 2001
portland, maine USA
Along the same lines as P90x (as in a structured time-constrained fitness program), Insanity is a pretty good 60 day program. No weights, just cardio plyometrics. The DVD set is really well done and fairly entertaining. I've lost about 5 pounds in 6 weeks, and nearly doubled every portion of the fitness-tests. I'm not trying to lose weight because I'm already skinny, so I eat a lot, another guy with us has lost nearly 10 pounds. Overall, I feel way stronger, and my cardio is through the roof.

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
Crossfit>P90x

With that said, I would echo the sentiment that you need some basic coaching in Olympic lifts to ensure proper form and stay injury free. Yes it does take more equipment however depending on your desired goals, it may be worth it. The functional strength/stability gained from crossfit is impressive. There are also many variations, like Crossfit Endurance, Starting Strength, SEAL Fit so you can tailor it to your liking.

In regards to diet, favorites from the Crossfit boards include Zone and Paleo amongst others. Generally eating "clean" is the standard, but it is hard to meet the caloric requirements if you're looking to build mass.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Crossfit>P90x

With that said, I would echo the sentiment that you need some basic coaching in Olympic lifts to ensure proper form and stay injury free. Yes it does take more equipment however depending on your desired goals, it may be worth it. The functional strength/stability gained from crossfit is impressive. There are also many variations, like Crossfit Endurance, Starting Strength, SEAL Fit so you can tailor it to your liking.

In regards to diet, favorites from the Crossfit boards include Zone and Paleo amongst others. Generally eating "clean" is the standard, but it is hard to meet the caloric requirements if you're looking to build mass.
P90X=60 bucks>Crossfit 100 bucks a month

I'd love to do crossfit, but its too expensive.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I paid $40 for P90x off Craigs List. If I could stick with it, it would be awesome. I hope this winter I will make it thgouh.