Quantcast

PA results

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
trailhacker said:
????

As far as ski racing, I am pretty sure they have timing equipment ($$$$) that they are able to use multiple times a year, for multiple years.
That type of equipment is pretty spendy for a guy putting on one race a year.
When Amy and I put on the races we considered buying Randy Bactels timing equipment (CPR series) but it would have set us back $5,000. If we wanted to buy Atomic's timing equipment (WIM) it would have cost us $10,000. That would have included the motorhome too though?
As far as hiring a timing company, ala WIM, I believe the cost would start around $2,500 a day. It goes up depending on number of participants.
Now, hand timing works but you have to make some mistakes and learn a few things first. Unfortuneatly JM had to learn most those things as the first run was going off?
Thank god you didn't buy that motor home! Amy was mad enough when you bought that last blazer and that's just what you need, car number 15 in the front yard! :rolleyes:

HE-HE!

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
$2500 for a day of timing? So thats what WIM spends thier money on.

Obviously it can be done for cheap. Trailhacker did it. Hell, even Kackley figured it out.

May 9, 2003
Burien at Crappiss' House
I think Jason is really feeling badly about how things got mixed up. It's my opinion that the weekend was still really fun for most riders and we ought to make sure Jason knows we appreciate the effort, it looked a lot like a one man show from where I was watching. I'd hate to see the guy give up doing events because he's too scared to take a chance on running a dh race again because he might get internet flamed for it.

That said, MOST of you seem to be understandably frustrated, but civil, as for the rest, well, you know what they say about pleaseing all the people all of the time......

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
holliswood said:
Thank god you didn't buy that motor home! Amy was mad enough when you bought that last blazer and that's just what you need, car number 15 in the front yard! :rolleyes:

HE-HE!
God tell me about it! :help: You should see what he has hiding in the back yard behind the fence :eek:

Drat! This IS Amy :o:

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Summer, Donna.
Translation:
It was an old SNL skit (I think)
It went something like:

Female Customer #2: Donna Summer?
Nadeen: Now how do her name appear in the phone book?
Female Customer #2: Summer Donna?
Nadeen: Stretch it out now, stretch it out!
Female Customer #2: Summer, summer don-na..
Curtis: Loud and clear now.
Female Customer #2: Summer don-na.
Nadeen: Keep going.
Female Customer #2: Summer don-na!
Curtis: Summer Donna that's right simmah down now! That's it! Now get! Get before I take a weapon to you! Come on now simmah down now!

I would hate to think that this race wouldn't be put on because the guy responsible for the timing felt bad. Better to have a race with lousy timing than no race at all, that's for sure. I just wish there was an easier solution, but wishing will get us nowhere. Can timing equipment really cost that much? Seems like if you simply had some atomic clocks and gave people exact start times, and noted finish times along with rider numbers, it wouldn't be hard to get correct times at all. Radios might help.

Certified Drunk

SVT-Lightning
Feb 17, 2002
Zippy's Burgers
Why do some people have to be arse holes?
You dont need to call Jason and be a prick!
Dont call him at 6am
Dont call him and use profanity
Dont call him and say your going to get into a fight with him.

This will not fix the problem. Jason already knows about the timing problems and feels very bad. If you want to help thats one thing, but if you want to call him and complain, you should go ride your bike instead!

Sh1t happens and at this point it cant be fixed.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Who called him to complain? I agree, that is whack. In a race like this, where it's a grassroots effort, hating on the guy responsible for trying his best is not the solution. I know I can't contribute much, but I made the suggestion that was in my head. Besides pointing out the problem, complaining won't solve much.

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
Don't forget that not only did he bust his b*lls to do this race, but he worked so hard and so much of his time on getting theses trails/mx courses dialed. I think alot of the monkeys that are really angry don't know JM that well to realize he needs to be given a break...He tried his best with what he had! Let's not make him never want to do this again....

ride

Monkey
Jan 11, 2005
I for one would rather go to one of his races any day of the week over a Wim event. A few small delays or not.
Next time we'll just keep the shuttle truck going after the race to keep everybody occupied! :thumb:

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
Certified Drunk said:
Why do some people have to be arse holes?
You dont need to call Jason and be a prick!
Dont call him at 6am
Dont call him and use profanity
Dont call him and say your going to get into a fight with him.

This will not fix the problem. Jason already knows about the timing problems and feels very bad. If you want to help thats one thing, but if you want to call him and complain, you should go ride your bike instead!

Sh1t happens and at this point it cant be fixed.
Someone really called and did all of that!?? Friggin Idiots!!!! Jason should just not let that person register for his events anymore! or come to anymore of the ride days.

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
Well I am sure the people who are complaining have or are building a 4x course and downhill trails on land that the owners will let them conduct public races on, and are planning on having races with entry fees 33
% cheaper then the competing series and are willing to hang there bike up race weekend to run around and direct all the volunteers they recruited to help them for free on race weekend, or else they wouldn't have the nerve to complain?

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
Tootrikky said:
Well I am sure the people who are complaining have or are building a 4x course and downhill trails on land that the owners will let them conduct public races on, and are planning on having races with entry fees 33
% cheaper then the competing series and are willing to hang there bike up race weekend to run around and direct all the volunteers they recruited to help them for free on race weekend, or else they wouldn't have the nerve to complain?
:blah: no kidding!

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Tootrikky said:
Timing was done wrong, it was pointed out, and hopefully we can all work to correct the errors that happened. Harping on it will not solve anything. However, I do not think that we should all be required to put on our own race before we're allowed to voice a negative opinion about mistakes made. Racers pay race fees, and in exchange for them, expect to get at least one accurately timed run on a race course, preferably 100% of all race runs to be accurately timed. People who pay money in exchange for goods or services and do not receive what they paid for definitely have a right to complain. But once the problem is pointed out, excess complaining is only detrimental as long as a solution is in the works.

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
erikkellison said:
Timing was done wrong, it was pointed out, and hopefully we can all work to correct the errors that happened. Harping on it will not solve anything. However, I do not think that we should all be required to put on our own race before we're allowed to voice a negative opinion about mistakes made. Racers pay race fees, and in exchange for them, expect to get at least one accurately timed run on a race course, preferably 100% of all race runs to be accurately timed. People who pay money in exchange for goods or services and do not receive what they paid for definitely have a right to complain. But once the problem is pointed out, excess complaining is only detrimental as long as a solution is in the works.

Believe it or not, everyone knew that even with out it be pointed out, but THANKS FOR THE INPUT!