Quantcast

Pacific is screwing GT/Schwinn race squads

R

RideMonkey

From Velo News:

Another indication that Pacific's support of racing will be slim or none came last week when riders and staff of the existing Schwinn and GT squads (approximately 60 people) were informed they would not be receiving their final-quarter paychecks. This is completely within the rules following the purchase of a company that's declared bankruptcy, but still came as a surprise to some of the riders.

Downhiller Steve Peat was reportedly the hardest hit, with Pacific opting not to pay him nearly $70,000 that would have been owed him if Schwinn/GT had not filed for bankruptcy. Overall World Cup dual champion Leigh Donovan was owed about $25,000 that she won't be receiving, and Alison Dunlap won't be getting her bonus for her win at the world championships in Vail.

If you love the sport of Mountain Biking, do not buy a bike from Pacific!! This includes GT and Schwinn brands!!

R

RideMonkey

Time to show Pacific the power of the Internet. Spread the word. As RM grows, more and more people will see this thread. Maybe one day we can force them to pay these racers what they are owed!!

AND DONT JUST LOOK AT THIS THREAD, SAY A WORD OR TWO ABOUT WHAT YOU THINK!

mikec918

Chimp
Aug 22, 2001
Virginia
You can Write or Email then but I daught they will really care. Pacific more then likely bought Schwin and GT for the name only. Expect them to close what little USA facilties Schwin and GT had and to only continue importing the lower end models. Of course with a few changes to bring down the quality to just over Huffy.

You Don't need to have a race team when your competing against Huffy and Murray at Walmart.

R

RideMonkey

I'd also like to point out that the World Championships at Vail took place less than a week after the WTC attacks. It was just so amazing to see the world to come together for peaceful competition during such a sad and tragic time. Being there was one of the best experiences of my life.

Can you think of any other time when America needed victories more than it did after the attacks? We had heroes out there giving us those victories. And Allison Dunlap won't be paid for her Gold medal in the XC???? Heres a great big **** you America straight from Pacific!!!!!!

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by ridemonkey
I'd also like to point out that the World Championships at Vail took place less than a week after the WTC attacks. It was just so amazing to see the world to come together for peaceful competition during such a sad and tragic time. Being there was one of the best experiences of my life.

Can you think of any other time when America needed victories more than it did after the attacks? We had heroes out there giving us those victories. And Allison Dunlap won't be paid for her Gold medal in the XC???? Heres a great big **** you America straight from Pacific!!!!!!

Bin Pacific?
Pacific Laden?
I agree, I was moved after reading the article in the new VeloNews about the beauty of the Worlds - a bunch of cyclists coming together.
________
BMW N63

Last edited:

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
Originally posted by Acadian
I feel like a dick now with all my GT bikes :(
You bought your bikes when GT was a great company...
It's a shame to see it being destroyed in such a manner by a crappy company.

What dicks not paying the racing staff...These guys and gals have been training and racing their butts off and they get shafted.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Is probably sitting with his feet up. A Guiness in one hand and a cordless phone in the other. Question is, who is he talking to?

Intense?
Brett Foes?
Chumba? (Shaums is out for a while)
Cortina?

hmmmm........

wonder where Lopes will wind up?

K

kitchenware

No racing team = No race tested inovations.

Their bikes will not evolve (or will evolve poorly) and will surely become extinct without the racers and teams.

On a side note, looks like some of the local Trek team here in Boulder got new cars. I've seen two brand new Trek/VW Jettas in the last couple of days, one at a house where an older Trek/VW used to be parked.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by Damn True
Is probably sitting with his feet up. A Guiness in one hand and a cordless phone in the other. Question is, who is he talking to?

Intense?
Brett Foes?
Chumba? (Shaums is out for a while)
Cortina?

hmmmm........

wonder where Lopes will wind up?
I have heard that Giant is making big moves to secure Peat for next season. Time will tell. D

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Like I said...I love my GT I-Drives...I will ride them until they break, but I will never by another GT bike again. I've been riding GT bikes for like 13 years! This year was the first time I ever bought a bike other than GT (my Planet-X), but that is about to change....I guess change is good sometimes :think:

"CORTINA" Just in case you were wondering.:D D

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
WOW...where did you get this rumor from?

I have been sworn to secrecy...I will tell you in person when I get there I'm betting on Giant though. My friends and I have a pot going. Care to join? D

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
cool....I'll pass on the betting, I suck at that type of stuff...always end up loosing and did I ever told you I'm a bad looser ;)

I don't think anyone I know is a good loser:think: D

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Like I said...I love my GT I-Drives...I will ride them until they break, but I will never by another GT bike again. I've been riding GT bikes for like 13 years! This year was the first time I ever bought a bike other than GT (my Planet-X), but that is about to change....I guess change is good sometimes :think:

I'll tell you what though...
Thank GOD for Yeti.
I get so many of my parts from them.
Extra shock mount bushings
old 12mm rear Linkage
and they are always so cool to me.
DAMN I LOVE YETI..

M

MuDHoG

yeah if the treatment of thier riders is this crappy I can just imagine what kinda junk they're gonna pump out for the public to buy!!!!!!!!! what a shame, as with acadian the two bikes I do own are GT..what a shame :(

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Originally posted by MuDHoG
yeah if the treatment of thier riders is this crappy I can just imagine what kinda junk they're gonna pump out for the public to buy!!!!!!!!! what a shame, as with acadian the two bikes I do own are GT..what a shame :(
Imagine being an employee. Pumping yourself into the design of a product that you take pride in and ownership of. To help in developing the brand identity to have it taken to the lowest common denominator.

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
yeah...that is why I'm gonna keep on riding my current GT bikes and keep my head high! Man I just hope I can get spare parts for this upcoming racing season!
I don't own a GT myself but I've heard and read many good reviews on the I-drive system. I would be surprised if someone didn't buy the rights to build a similar system.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
yeah...that is why I'm gonna keep on riding my current GT bikes and keep my head high! Man I just hope I can get spare parts for this upcoming racing season!

As soon as it breaks...and it will...Charlie has a brand new....dare I say it....Cortina ....waiting just for you.:rolleyes:

skiba

Yah Mon
Sep 24, 2001
this blows, gt made a great bike, i never owned one but plenty of my friends have them, schwins also, the new straight 8 was a pretty nice bike, just as they whip out something cool everything goes to hell. murphy;s law sucks (at least i think it applies in this situation, correct me if im wrong)

Babar

Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Colorado
All the bike ive owned was GT, Im riding GT Zaskar X... now i have no pride in my bike but just shame....

All the kids will laugh at me for riding a pacific...

Future doesn't look very good.:crying:

Im going sleep too depressed...

vernon

Chimp
Oct 2, 2001
Singapore
arrrgh, I just bought my GT about 2 months ago....

Hope Peat finds sponsopship with a great team.....it sucks that he won't be paid, according to the rumour.....:confused:

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Ah GT. Seems everyone is most upset about them. I too am a GT fan, or shall I say was.

When Mongoose was bought and and sold to the masses was the response similar? It seems like we should be able to at least
INFLUENCE somebody over at that slum lord of a bicycle company (Pacifier) to do the right things...................alas.

I'm not even sure what bikes to dream about buying now......

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Well once again my theory on how the big company's work is sadly proven correct once more.
that the only way companys get big is buy playing mean nasty and dirty.
"So to the pacific crowd I say up your's C**t .":angryfire
I only buy from the small guy's these day's, any way 90% of the time it's the small guy's that come up with the inovative idea's the improve the breed so to speak.
:angryfire :crying:

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
from Mountainbikedaily.com

"We will honor the warranty on past bikes. Technically and legally, we are not obligated, but it's academic. We will honor the warranties."

Well, at least that's somewhat good news....They'll honor the warranties...

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
yeah but what does it really mean? When my $3500 Team frame breaks...they will replace it with a $500 bike ;)

Good point...

I've seen guys riding Pacific bikes with dual crown forks around here...I'm sure they make great downhill bikes...:rolleyes:

Oct 2, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Pacific is screwing everyone, racers, current GT and Schwinn owners, and bike shops that have been carrying GT and Schwinn for years. Any self respecting mountain biker should steer clear of GT, Schwinn, Mongoose, and especially those dual crown Pacific bikes.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by Captain Cogset
Pacific is screwing everyone, racers, current GT and Schwinn owners, and bike shops that have been carrying GT and Schwinn for years. Any self respecting mountain biker should steer clear of GT, Schwinn, Mongoose, and especially those dual crown Pacific bikes.
Hey, I know you!!!!:love:
________
No2 review

Last edited:

LPARK

Chimp
Oct 16, 2001
San Jose, CA, USA
Hearing that big team sponsored riders will not be
paid for their outstanding performance by their so called big name sponsors is extremely disappointing. Most of us are aware that these competitors would strive toward excellence in their own performance beyond the fact of simple compensation by their sponsors; BUT the fact remains that the companies would not be what they are, without these riders and the valueable input they provide.

This is really a ridiculous blow in light of some other bike companies pulling out of pro/sponsored DH racing, refering to the big S of course. Luckily it is nice to see that the big T is getting the program started again.

I sincerely hope that the industry will wake up and realize that success as a bike company does not come with size, volume, and sales numbers alone. It comes with their dedication to good products, loyalty to the sport (their teams), and most of all listening to people like us, the riders/supporter of the sport of mountain biking.

Thanks to RM for the opportunity to put some word on paper. RGDS LPARK

G

Gutty

Pacific did not buy a race team. They bought some designs, some patents and two names. I know you will all hate me for this but it is the very sad fact.
Lets say no one bought Schwinn/GT. What would we have? No race team, no GT, no Schwinn. Who would you abuse then?
As i have said to someone else on this board already, Vegemite was bought out by a U.S company that sacked half the workers(alot more than 60). Should i now bouycot Vegemite? No way. I was born and bread on that stuff.
I know i would hate it if i was under contract and the owner pulled out leaving me short, but in this case the owner went broke. Pacific did not sign up any riders.

I know i'll cop it for this but i stand behind what i think is right and wrong, and although Pacific may not be right in all they do,
they are deffinately not bad or evil just because they bought a dieing/dead company.

Oct 19, 2001
Of course it is pretty lame for them not to pay the riders, but what if. . . no one had bought Schwinn/GT, and it just folded, the riders wouldn't have gotten any money that way either. You must remember that the owners of Pacific don't give a rats ass about cycling, they just want to make money. They are in it for money, and if they can save some, they will.
Who knows the future for GT and Schwinn, they may be in department stores in a few years, but then again, they might carry on making smoking bikes. At least they now have a chance.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
read this on MTB daily this monring..

Pacific Retains Two Key GT Employees
With a smell of hope in the air, word came down this week from Pacific Cycle's Richard Wittenberg that former GT product development gurus Barry Burke and Mark Peterman have been hired on as Pacific employees for the long haul. Both Burke and Peterman had been contracted after the Schwinn/GT layoffs to aid Pacific with the development of the GT line during the ownership transition, but were slated to be on their own in 2003. The two will reportedly be setting up a So-Cal design office in Orange County California later this month, but the intentions of the facility at this point are unclear. More as information becomes available.
it would be nice to see these guys set up a design shop... that would rock... i'm sure they have a bunch of ideas up their sleeve... they probably foresaw much of this, so i assume they held back on some goodies.

- dump

I think that it will be very hard for them to overcome rejection by bike shops. I've seen several Schwinn or GT dealers just replace the lines with something else. Many would see selling GT, even high-end GTs as lining the pockets of the enemy. Any sales that they make would profit Pacific and, well Huffy makes high-end BMX frames, but can you think of a bike shop that sells them? I mean, who would buy a 600$ carbon fiber BMX frame that said Huffy?

Around here, though, the demise of GT\Schwinn has been a good thing for Rocky Mountain and Kona as dealers in the area have picked up both brands. It's just my opinion, but I think GT\Schwinn will be the same laughing stock that Mongoose is, despite all their 3000$ titanium bikes.

G

Gutty

Originally posted by espen
It`s a shame!! Pacific sucks! They`re gonna ruin a great company with great products and a great history. This is really really bad!!
Are you serious :confused: "They're gonna ruin a great company" Have a think about what you say before you shoot your mouth off. Pacific didn't ruin Schwinn/GT. Schwinn/GT was already ruined,dead,broke,bust......need i go on ???

Probably a bad example but it's kinda like saying some one's gonna bomb the WTC.......too late it's already gone. Just like Schwinn/GT.