Quantcast

Pacifica in the Rain?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
While Mr. Amydalayna submits himself for drug testing in his latest scuffle with the law, Amy and I are going to hit some trails in the meanwhile.

Unfortunately, it looks like rain, so I am trying to figure where to go. Rockville is my plan, but I think it will be the rainiest in the North Bay (although I know you can still ride there). JM is the second choice, but it might be too soggy.

What is Pacifica like in the rain? Do the trails hold up, or should it be avoided if wet? Considering its location, I would figure rain does not affect it.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
I'm also curious about how pacifica is in the rain.
The dirt seems like it would hold up well.. but I've been wrong before.

And, as you stated, Rockville is perfectly rideable in the rain. Just stay away from the slimy green rocks.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I went riding there a few days after a rain about a month ago. It was sloppy and not very much fun to be honest. I wouldn’t bother driving out there again - especially after a rain. But that’s just me. The dirt turns into sloppy mud that cakes onto your bike.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
you better not be bailing on our ride!
i am very much looking forward to pedaling around after some months off of the bike.

Go to bed early tonight, cause you're picking me up in Sacto at 8.30 sharp.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
you're not made of sugar. you will not melt in the rain.

i'll buy you a hot cocoa afterwards too.
So, Rockville it is? It better be fun. Or I take back my hot cocoa offer.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
sadly, no. i'm not racing.
i couldn't justify spending the money on racing when i haven't even looked at my bike in 5 months.
that, and i didn't feel like driving out that way solo.
i'm chock full of excuses actually.

and if steve bails on me to play hold 'em... this will be true yet again.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
You can get my drinks from the bar, and I will tip you a dollar each time. If you put a pillow under your shirt and pretend you're pregnant, I'll give you $100 tips.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
sanjuro said:
You can get my drinks from the bar, and I will tip you a dollar each time. If you put a pillow under your shirt and pretend you're pregnant, I'll give you $100 tips.
ONLY after a nice long rainy bike ride.

nothing would be more pathetic than a muddy, pregnant coctail waitress.

*note. i STILL cannot find my bike shoes. Therefore, I'll be riding platform pedals. I do not like riding platforms.
add that to my 101 reasons why i'm too lame to race this weekend.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I might be giving Sanjuro too much credit ( :) ), but for me it's not about melting. The upper portions of Pacifica are ok when wet but stay out of the lower (Boy Scout) part. The trails get destroyed when everything is soft, and more importantly the owner of the property hates to see riders out there when it's wet. As I understand it permission to ride there is already on shaky ground, show some respect and stay away until things dry out. Since I like the Boy Scout section the best I usually stay away during the few months of what we in the yay area call "winter." It's game on for the other 9 months of the year...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
OGRipper said:
I might be giving Sanjuro too much credit ( :) ), but for me it's not about melting. The upper portions of Pacifica are ok when wet but stay out of the lower (Boy Scout) part. The trails get destroyed when everything is soft, and more importantly the owner of the property hates to see riders out there when it's wet. As I understand it permission to ride there is already on shaky ground, show some respect and stay away until things dry out. Since I like the Boy Scout section the best I usually stay away during the few months of what we in the yay area call "winter." It's game on for the other 9 months of the year...
That is what I was really getting at. I don't care about getting dirty, but I don't want to mess up any trails...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Ride Report: After picking up Amy in front of the Sacramento County Men's Prison, when Mr. Amydalayna was going to spend his morning and possibly 6-12 months for his Superbowl rampage earlier this year (ask him about how he broke his arm), we drove to Rockville.

As we were setting up, 20-30 other riders made an appearance. Not exactly what you want to see in a 25 acre park. They were a mountain bike HS class, mostly beginners, so it was cool they were riding.

The weather in Fairfield was very strange. It was very bright and sunny when we started, so we left our rain jackets in the car. As we made it up to the lake, it started p*ssing rain, resulting in plenty of "good thing we left our jackets in the car" and "not made of sugar" comments.

Amy is definitely a talented rider, and she did a nice job hitting all the technical stuff in the park, and climbing extremely well on her Bullit. Personally, I rode like a girl, uh, a girl not as good as Amy.

The toughest part about Rockville is the drive back to San Francisco. Using my secret shortcut to the last on-ramp before the tolls, I was able to make it back to the city in about an hour. Unfortunately, the Amydalaynas got a flat tire on I-80, and was forced to have it fixed in the bowels of Oakland (although they did comment that the service they received was much faster than the what they would get in Tahoe. Ghetto car service is much better than suburban/vacation town!).

With all the traffic and getting lost around Cesar Chavez, their drive to SF took 4 hours!

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
thanks so much for picking me up in sacto. the ride was very lovely. i had a wonderful time, rain and all. except for those crazy cow gates at Rockville! more of an upper body work out than i though having to lift my bike over those suckers. maybe i should be hitting the gym more and hanging out in the snow less.

the weater yesterday was STUNNING.
getting out of the snow this weekend made it painful to come home too last night. and it says the chance for more snow this week. yuck.

i might venture out to reno saturday and do some pedalling around. you're invited, but i know it's a long drive for you... even longer now that i know how gross the traffic on the bay bridge can be.