Quantcast

Packing a bike for a plane trip

CU-Murph

Chimp
Apr 9, 2004
Huntsville, Ala.
Hi,

I'll be taking my bike with me on my flight and wondering what is the best way to pack it. I'm using my club's Performance Bike plastic case. IT has two large pieces of foam in it.

Do I sandwhich the wheels next to the frame, or on the other side of the foam? Do I ned to take the rotars off the wheels? Should I secure the frame to say a large piece of cardboard to prevent it from moving around too much?

Thanks!

-Robert

neurostar

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Rochester, NY or Boise, ID
I didn't have problems with the frame moving when I shipped my bike.

Definitely take the rotors off though.. one of mine ended up being bent to the point where I had to order a new one.

As for the foam, I'm not sure exactly. The box I had came with 3 pieces of foam...

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I just returned from Germany with my DH bike. I took it just in a normal cardboard bike box but got my LBS guy to pack it for me. I haven't put it back together yet but everything appears OK. I didn't take my front wheel for weight reasons (I borrowed a wheel from Partsbara) as the baggage allowance here isn't as much as in the US. I didn't take the rotor off my rear wheel but it seems pretty much OK. If you're taking it in a hard case I can't see you having any problems. If you wanna be extra careful and secure it to a piece of cardboard to stop it moving around make sure you get the little X-shaped plastic thingies that stop the zip ties from pulling thru the cardboard. Good luck.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I dunno about packing it, but once you do get it packed, disguise the box. I dont know if it will work if you are using a bike carrying plastic box...... But tell them you are an artist, and it is a sculpture, and they wont charge you the extra $$ for a bike :)