Quantcast

Padded shorts???

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
Padded shorts???.. Ok I have Baggy padded shorts... but in todays heat (close to 90) I hate wearing them.. it just gets sooooo hot. and, even If I had the best body in the world I refuse to wear normal cycling shorts. does anyone out there just wear mesh shorts when they ride on the road??? they are much more cooler.

plus the breeze feels good!!!!

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I sweat like a mofo regardless, so I quite worrying about clothing quite so much. I used to wear regular baggies... don't really notice a difference between them and the padded lycra I wear now.

J

JRB

I like me some lycra shorts when it's hot. Good fabric breathes well and matters.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Find an LBS that carries Cannondale and see if they carry the "Fitness Baggy Shorts". They're much lighter than typical baggies. The material is more like gym shorts. Stretchy and light. Good padding also. I love these shorts. I found them at Supergo on sale for something like $25.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jacksonpt said:
I sweat like a mofo regardless, so I quite worrying about clothing quite so much. I used to wear regular baggies... don't really notice a difference between them and the padded lycra I wear now.
well I noticed a difference.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I can't stand to sit on a bike seat anymore without a quality pair of padded shorts. I have found no baggies that have padding that can compare to a good set of lycra shorts. Sometimes I wear regular shorts over them sometimes I don't. Get some good bike shorts and if you don't feel comfortable smuggling your plums in public wear something over them.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
yeah sometimes i wear the cycling shorts with a light pair of mesh ones over them.. I guess it depends on the length of the ride.. anything over 15 miles I probably should wear some padding

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jacksonpt said:
SWEEEEEET :thumb:
Just messin with ya man! I'm seeing more and more of my friends wearing lycra... maybe it's because we're all getting older and fatter and thats when the lycra wearing gene rears it's ugly head.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
stosh said:
Just messin with ya man! I'm seeing more and more of my friends wearing lycra... maybe it's because we're all getting older and fatter and thats when the lycra wearing gene rears it's ugly head.
lol... I started wearing them because I got tired of my baggies getting caught on my saddle when I'd try to move my weight forward and back on the bike. A couple of times they snagged on the saddle after a descent making it difficult to get back up on the saddle.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
jacksonpt said:
lol... I started wearing them because I got tired of my baggies getting caught on my saddle when I'd try to move my weight forward and back on the bike. A couple of times they snagged on the saddle after a descent making it difficult to get back up on the saddle.
Word! That's what I hate about baggies. I have a pair of REI brand that do that all the time. That's also what I love about the Cannondales (see post above). They're baggy, but not too baggy and don't get hung up on the back of my saddle.

splat

Nam I am
I've been wearing Lycra for the past 25 Years riding bikes , I don't see any reason to change now, Plus there comfy.

also many times I have made a stop on a ride at a lake and just gone swiming right in my lycra shorts . they work great for that too.