Quantcast

Paddlein' Vacation with Bikers in tow...

JerseyDave

monkey wrestler
Apr 9, 2002
Stowe, VT
So I'm planning a trip to the southeast around the ashville area. We are thnking early May, so what kind of weather can we expect in the upstate that time of year? We're looking paddle some III+ IV water and hit any park and play. I've been looking at the AWW page and have some good leads, but would love to hear from some locals about the two or three must do rivers in the area. Not really looking for creeking, more river running and play boating. Then in the mean time we were gonna hit up some indiginous single track and some thought from locals would also be welcome. So, Anyone out there goin' boatin'?

CharlieM

Monkey
Aug 7, 2004
My roomate is all about riding in his Kayak...He's been down to the Asheville area several times. Theres also another guy on my team that worked down in the Asheville area as a rafting guide. I will mention it to them

ztlh13

Monkey
May 9, 2003
East Tennessee
The upper Nolichucky is great and its between Asheville and Johnson City, TN towards Burnsville, NC, but there is so much to do. The Russel fork is mean, but with all the rain some of these are quite dangerous. Definately ask about water levels!

Along with much water, trails are abundant for XC at least. Anyplace you go will have trail nearby.

JerseyDave

monkey wrestler
Apr 9, 2002
Stowe, VT
I scoped the nolichuchy on AWW. Alos thinking of doing the Chatooga one day and riding at Issaqueena. Plus a ride at Bent Creek, some Pisgah (not sure which trails yet, but looking for the most singletracky, bang for the buck, fun factor type stuff). Then we'll paddle some play spots in W.V. on the way down and back, with maybe a ride in northern Va. at Elizabeth furnace. Any suggestions on the sweetest Pisgah loop would eb appreciated.