Quantcast

Paging all Sherman Slider 170 owners<!?!>

dma528

Chimp
Jun 28, 2004
Central Coast
Paging all Sherman Slider 170 owners<!?!>

Has anyone out there had problems with there SPV valve on there shermans<?> I have been through a couple of valves on my fork and I would like to know if anyone else out there has had the problems that I have. The guys over at :heart: Answer :heart: have been more than generous with new parts for my fork but it seems a bit odd that I have been through so many valves.

Peace

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Yep. The SPV stuff develops a 'clunk' and some roughness, and eventually blows. I just had them send me TPC+ parts for my 5" fork. Unfortunately, there's no 170mm TPC cart to fit your Slider, unless the cart from the new Stance Kingpin will fit...and that won't be available soon, anyhow, I think.

The 05 SPV Evolve stuff might be better. I can't really say...but I'm not holding my breath. I want a smooth and reliable fork, so it's TPC+ for me. (I have a 04 Firefly, now with TPC, and a 03 Slider).

MD

Edit: 9 valves?? What air pressure were you running, and how often did you check it??

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Nah, seriously, there's a difference between SPV and stiction. Not that much, but it's there, lol. But once that valve starts going out, there's a definite sticking and crunchiness to the beginning of the travel. In practice, out of the parking lot, your hands start to sting when you hit fast stutter bumps or ripples.

My TPC+ parts came in today! I'm psyched.

MD

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
MikeD said:
Nah, seriously, there's a difference between SPV and stiction. Not that much, but it's there, lol. But once that valve starts going out, there's a definite sticking and crunchiness to the beginning of the travel. In practice, out of the parking lot, your hands start to sting when you hit fast stutter bumps or ripples.

My TPC+ parts came in today! I'm psyched.

MD
stable platform is a purposely built $200more-than-without-priced stiction.
:p

dma528

Chimp
Jun 28, 2004
Central Coast
Is what the SPV valve has been doing to me is collapsing; therefor the valve is essentaly closed. After that happens the platform in stuck and the compression is ramped so high that the fork refuses to track. Pressure builds up around the valve assembly and once the pressure is high enough the valve collapses the feeling is instantus.

The new Evolve valve is the newest valve that I broke. I got it and ran it one day in Big Bear the weekend before Fall Classic. and once more race day at Fall Classic. My first run the Sunday after the race I was blowing corners re adjusted air pressure with no avail. So here I am now on the market for a fork the I hopefully won't kill. or atleast have to service a little less.

And on the air pressures never ran the the fork out of the 40-45psi range. The fork never ran long enough for the pressures to differ.

AD

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
That sucks. I was hoping the Evolve would be better, but my intuition told me otherwise. I'll be staying away from anything SPV, myself...

MD

vincent

Monkey
Aug 22, 2004
Bromont, Quebec
my slider just come from answer and it's locked, it take like 200lbs to take it down of 1 inche and it does'nt even come out. I was hoping keep this fork for another year but I don't it worked well 1 time so I consider selling it.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Personally, I'd look at the newer Manitou Stance Kingpin...like $500 with the proven tpc+ damping in a similar chassis to the slider, albeit with heavier cromo stanchions.

What really matters is what you value in a fork...Shivers are dead reliable and super sensitive, but lack a little torsional stiffness to some users...Dorados (the older ones) are IMHO incredibly damped and smooth, really easy to work on, but again, some people don't think they're the best...people love their 888s, but there have been issues with the lowers seeping oil from micro-pores in the casting and they're super-tall...

MD

dma528

Chimp
Jun 28, 2004
Central Coast
Well the guys at Answer took care of me, I just got in :drool: a TPC+ conversion kit for the Sherman Slider Plus 170. I was going to upgrade to a Dorado TPC+ but it sounds like the parts for them will be in rare form in the near future. Not sure what that means. But for now I have a totally killer conversion kit for slider.

I'm going to wait until Monday to install because I have no idea what kind of oil level to run in the fork and I want to talk to one of the engineers. I also have a nasty case of poisn oak and it is keeping me rather down. There will be updates as the fork progresses. :sneaky:

Peace
AD

dma528 said:
I'm going to wait until Monday to install because I have no idea what kind of oil level to run in the fork and I want to talk to one of the engineers. I also have a nasty case of poisn oak and it is keeping me rather down. There will be updates as the fork progresses. :sneaky:
Definately keep us posted. I've been thinking about another fork because of the "clunk" that I now have. However, if the TPC thing works out for the Slider+, then I think I'll go that route first.

dma528

Chimp
Jun 28, 2004
Central Coast
Well the TPC+ is in and it gives the fork a totally differnet feeling, atleast what I can tell in the drive way. I will get it out on the trails some time this week and give an update.

surfinguru best of luck with you on the evolve I hope that it will work for ya. My evolve valve gave out on me after 2 days of riding but I am putting that one to the wayside hoping that it was just an obsure fluke.

Peace
AD

dma528 said:
Well the TPC+ is in and it gives the fork a totally differnet feeling, atleast what I can tell in the drive way. I will get it out on the trails some time this week and give an update.

surfinguru best of luck with you on the evolve I hope that it will work for ya. My evolve valve gave out on me after 2 days of riding but I am putting that one to the wayside hoping that it was just an obsure fluke.

Peace
AD
Yeah, my fingers are crossed as well. BTW, what oil level did you end up running?

The Rose

Monkey
Aug 2, 2004
pine barrens N.J
I was under the impression that the sliders where doing well. I have had mine for a season and it did great. I wonder if this has been a problem for other slider riders. I am going to send mine back to manitou this year for service, we'll see what they say when they get it.

Not sure if I should have started another thread, but I figured it was still relative here.

I received the replacement SPV Evolve kit for my Slider+ on Friday. Turns out they sent me a 150mm Firefly Plus kit. With a little help from goin-medium, we were able to swap out the SPV assembly and put it on the original 170mm rod. (Surprising how easy the whole maintenance process actually was.)

I have to say, my fork has never felt better. Smoother than it had ever been in the first 10 months I've had it. The jury is still out on the final verdict though since I've yet to really put it through the paces. (Still recovering from wrist surgery.)

Anyway, I'm still looking forward to hear dma528's impressions of how the TPC+ is working out.

dma528

Chimp
Jun 28, 2004
Central Coast
Well all I have an update on the TPC+ conversion<!> So far so good<!> The fork is plusher than ever the only thing that I have noticed is that on bigger hits the fork goes through the travel much faster. I have been riding the fork on my local trail and the bike really hasen't seen a "downhill" trail yet. I will give another update after the fontana race next weekend, for what ever that is worth.

Peace
-AD-

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I too have an SPV evolve assy on the way for my slider plus. I will try it and if it's not good I'll go for TPC+, I loved my 6" Slider with TPC+ it was dreamy!

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Update folks?

I rebuilt my Slider+ yesterday and when I put it back together the rebound knob crapped out. I called Answer and they are sending out a new damping kit. I hope it works. I have a Minute with the Evlove and it feels great. I'm just worried about getting it all back together and it working.