Quantcast

Paging IH Hollowpoint Owners - questions for you....

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
One of the FS frames I'm considering is a 2004 IH Hollowpoint Team with Fox Float AVA shock, but I have a few questions so here goes. Hopefully some of you IH riders can help me out with answers.

A) The frame in question is a Medium which according to IH equates to a 23.7" or so Top Tube length - but in a separate thread on another forum there are several people 5'8", 5'9", 5'10" tall riding this size frame. If I purchased it, I'd run a straight Thomson post and a 90mm Thomson Stem. I noticed that the stock small frames run a setback Easton post and what looks like a 100 or 110mm stem - so perhaps I could still get the same effective cockpit length from the medium with my seatpost and stem combo - whattya think? For those of you with Hollowpoints, how tall are you and which size frame did you opt for, and why?

B) For those of you who have Hollowpoints with the AVA shock - is it easy to set up the proper sag etc. etc. with the DW Link design? I've noticed that in 2004 most of the bikes come with Manitou Swingers or 5th elements, but for some reason this frame comes with the Float AVA shock. Any advice here?

C)Which travel setting are you running your rig in and why?

D) What are your Hollowpoints coming in at weight-wise? Ballpark estimates are fine here as well.

That is all - for now at least - thanks in advance for any help you can provide me.

Cheers,

MMcG

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I have a HP Team frame, which I really enjoy for times when the FR bike is too much bike.

a) I'm 6'4 and ride a large. 175 cranks, Thomson straight post, 75mm stem with low-rise DH risers.
b) I have a 5th air on mine. My buddy has a HP Team with the Ava and a MTX with a 5th. He prefers the Ava shock.
c) the longer setting
d) somewhere around 32# with Pike Air, 2.5 front tire/2.3 rear, FR wheelset, Holzfeller dual ring cranks and DRS guide etc. It's not built to be light by any stretch. I think by friends HP Team weighs in around 28 with the more XC build.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
dan-o said:
I have a HP Team frame, which I really enjoy for times when the FR bike is too much bike.

a) I'm 6'4 and ride a large. 175 cranks, Thomson straight post, 75mm stem with low-rise DH risers.
b) I have a 5th air on mine. My buddy has a HP Team with the Ava and a MTX with a 5th. He prefers the Ava shock.
c) the longer setting
d) somewhere around 32# with Pike Air, 2.5 front tire/2.3 rear, FR wheelset, Holzfeller dual ring cranks and DRS guide etc. It's not built to be light by any stretch. I think by friends HP Team weighs in around 28 with the more XC build.
Thanks - any idea how tall yoru buddy is and what size frame he rides?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I had my uncle Freddy pick my bike up from my grandma's house in NJ to save on tax.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
berkshire_rider said:
I thought you were getting a steel hardtail? Now an IH? :confused:
I'm all over the place actually. I think I want to stick with Full Squish for a geared bike and maybe eventually replace my Marin Nail Trail SS with a steel HT frame when I can afford to do that.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
I'm all over the place actually. I think I want to stick with Full Squish for a geared bike and maybe eventually replace my Marin Nail Trail SS with a steel HT frame when I can afford to do that.
I heard you are in love now.......Do you ride enough to own all those different bikes? :think: :p :sneaky:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
berkshire_rider said:
I heard you are in love now.......Do you ride enough to own all those different bikes? :think: :p :sneaky:
yes I am and yes I plan to ride as much as last year if not more.......and my girlfriend is interested in riding too.

We went for a ride on New Years day - it was a blast. Gotta get her a proper MTB too though! :devil: :dancing:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
As you know, I've got the HP Expert frame. You're welcome to try it out if you can get it built up. If I remember correctly, shipping on the frame is about $30. I could ship it to you, you could keep it for a couple of months... get some decent time in on the bike and see what you think. If you don't like it, ship it back to me. If you do like it, we can work something out.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
jacksonpt said:
As you know, I've got the HP Expert frame. You're welcome to try it out if you can get it built up. If I remember correctly, shipping on the frame is about $30. I could ship it to you, you could keep it for a couple of months... get some decent time in on the bike and see what you think. If you don't like it, ship it back to me. If you do like it, we can work something out.
Thanks for that offer Jackson - yours is a 2003 correct?

I've become interested in a 2004 Team frame that is up for sale - just a little beefier rear triangle and a few other small updates to the frame from 2003.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
well just thought I would mention...I took mine out of the box today and starting building it...everything was going ok until I tried to adjust the travel. It seems I can only get one setting becasue the linkage hits the shock in the longer setting...I'm not happy about this but maybe I'm doing something wrong. I plan on calling Iron Horse and possibly contacting Weagle to see if there is some kind of fix for this...D

HypNoTic

Man Whore
Aug 3, 2004
Montreal, Qc
@BMXman : take a look on the MTBR forum. The exact guide on how-to install the link for the longer travel is pretty well explained. Didn't changed mine tough - still riding the 3.75" setting.

@Mark : IH Expert 04, Swinger 3way, short travel setting, 5'9"-10" for 170 pounds, riding the small (17") with stock components for now. Just got it before snow started here in Quebec so not much saddle time yet. Feel just at home on this puppy. For the rest, refer to the email we exchanged previously.

-HypNo

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Thanks Hypno - I've got my eye on a 2004 Team in all black with AVA shock - it is a Medium, but I plan on running a straight thomson post on it and a 90mm Thomson stem.

That is I plan on doing that if the seller agrees to my offer that I made on it.

I asked around a lot and -BB- right here and several other riders in the 5'9" 5'10" range are riding comfortably on Medium Hollowpoints - so I think I'll be good to go - again if the seller accepts my offer.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
MMcG said:
Thanks Hypno - I've got my eye on a 2004 Team in all black with AVA shock - it is a Medium, but I plan on running a straight thomson post on it and a 90mm Thomson stem.

That is I plan on doing that if the seller agrees to my offer that I made on it.

I asked around a lot and -BB- right here and several other riders in the 5'9" 5'10" range are riding comfortably on Medium Hollowpoints - so I think I'll be good to go - again if the seller accepts my offer.
Can I ask what you offered as the deal, and what he was asking? I only ask because I thought my price was pretty reasonable, but there as been zero interest in my frame. Just wondering if perhaps I'm asking too much, or are there just too many of these bikes/frames around, and the issues they had in 03 left a bad taste in people's mouths.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
well I looked on the MTBR site and mine still doesn't fit...I will take pics...maybe I'm doing something wrong...perhaps ska todd or BB can offer any help...D