Quantcast

Paging Kanter RE: Heim Guide

Bullit21

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Socal
Kanter,

I noticed in a post that you are running a Heim and mentioned a custom inner plate. I run a triple on my Bullit and my problem is losing the chain off the small ring when I do any kind of drop of 3' or more. How much did this cost? Would it be cheaper to take off my big ring and get an Evil guide for two rings, because I don't really ever use the big ring. Thanks.
:D

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
Definitely go for the DRS if you only use two rings!! They work amazingly well and i know guys who have used them for DH with no issues. Bashguard rocks too!! If you want to keep that third chainring, evil now makes the 3RS guide which works with three rings and no bashguard!!

mtnbikej

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
So. CAL.
I agree. I ran the HEim guide on my Bullit for a year. Worked pretty well. Had issues with the chain dropping from mid ring to little ring.

The new E13 3ring guide looks to be a much superior product. Not sure about the cost of the E13, but the Heim runs about $70.

mtnbikej

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Originally posted by mtnbikej
I agree. I ran the HEim guide on my Bullit for a year. Worked pretty well. Had issues with the chain dropping from mid ring to little ring.

The new E13 3ring guide looks to be a much superior product. Not sure about the cost of the E13, but the Heim runs about $70.

mtnbikej
Looks to be? Cute.

Getting the Heim 3-Guide adjusted correctly is not difficult, but is really important.
If you are able to, post a photo of your setup and I'll let you know where you need to make your changes.

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
I run a DRS on my Bullit. No problems yet. I got a Heim on a deal form a guy going to a DRS. I've yet to try the Heim. I may install it tonight. I wanted to try the Bullit w/ a single ring and the HEim for tension. My opinion w/o trying it is this: DRS for all out freeride and DH. Heim if your trying to keep a trail bike on the light side. It has got to be quite a bit of weight savings. Particullary like I'm going to try it w/ no front der., small ring or cable.

Can't go wrong w/ the DRS though. Solid product and excellent service.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I do run a custom inner plate. Heim made it for me. All he did was take one of his old guides and cut it up. It works great. I never drop a chain onto the BB and the guide works with all 3 rings.

Another thing you do is get a E type derailer mount and put it on. It will do the same thing.

Call Heim and he will know exactly what to send ya.

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
I have a Heim 3-Guide on my Bullit which I run with two rings and a bashguard. I've been using it for going on a year and have never once dropped a chain. Once it is adjusted correctly you can just forget about it and it has to be the lightest chain guide on the market.

I also run a LRP on my Stinky and it has worked faultlessly as well. The LRP is quieter than the Heim due to the different material used on the roller.

I know the DRS guides work very well too. Seems like everyone using the DRS raves about them. They do have a certain cool factor lacking on the Heim and LRP if you are into that sort of thing.

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
I ditched the DRS for the Heim guide. No front derail, shift, or cables. One ring and a light guide. We'll see. What is the mounting procedure for the Heim. I just kind of threw it on there seems to work though.

BRacing

Monkey
Feb 3, 2003
NorCal
I, too, run a Heim guide on a Bullit and use all 3 rings frequently.

I have had only a few problems with the guide falling off to the OUTside - but only after large crashes and stuff.

I wouldn't use any other chain guide, especially for the price.

-B

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
Hey, I am probably not telling you something you don't already know but Heim makes a really sweet bashring to go with a three chainring set up. He also makes a 2 ring bashguard. If you add that bashguard I really doubt you will ever drop another chain to the outside. The Heim bashguards are unlike any others I've seen. They are extensively machined and drilled to fit virtually any crank set up.

Something to consider! I know I've been considering getting one and putting back on the big ring for a full range of gearing for going downhill.

Jon Heim makes some great guides and he is a really nice guy as well. You will run into him often if you ever ride in Pacifica. He rides an Ellsworth Joker and of course, it is set up with his Heim guide.