Quantcast

Paging Maxxis or Mavic

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Mavic, could you please make the outside cirumfrence/diameter of your rims bigger, say the size of MTXs.
Or
Maxxis, please make the inside circumpfrence of your tyres smaller.
This might stop the tyres blowing off the rim as easy.
Tanks :thumb:
Oh and you could send me some free tyres(Minion 2.5) and rims(823s) for helping you out.

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I had this problem for a couple of years with 721's and minions but then haven't really had the problem since. I found it was a combination of wheels that had been trued/tensioned a few too many times (probably reducing the radius in a lot of places if not all round) as well as possibly a bad batch of tyres.

I'd just try some fresh rims/rubber - neither maxxis or mavic are going to care about your post on RM unfortunately.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I had this problem for a couple of years with 721's and minions but then haven't really had the problem since. I found it was a combination of wheels that had been trued/tensioned a few too many times (probably reducing the radius in a lot of places if not all round) as well as possibly a bad batch of tyres.

I'd just try some fresh rims/rubber - neither maxxis or mavic are going to care about your post on RM unfortunately.
New 721, new 823, new 2.5 Minions, all purchased within the last two months. Trying to convince a mate Mavic's the way to go, as he's tired of the MTX denting too easy. Rims last him a couple of months as he rides every day.
MTX stands taller than both Mavics. he's not blown a tyre off a MTX 33.

I've not done it for ages myself either.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Continental. All my Maxxis burp/tearing issues are gone. (Cause they aren't Maxxis. duh!)
Guy I ride with had a pair of Der Kaisers and he said he liked them but they wore like they were made of bubble gum. Thoughts?

I've been really happy with the Geax Neuron. The rubber could be a little softer, but they're made really well and the tread pattern is good.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Guy I ride with had a pair of Der Kaisers and he said he liked them but they wore like they were made of bubble gum. Thoughts?

I've been really happy with the Geax Neuron. The rubber could be a little softer, but they're made really well and the tread pattern is good.
I really like the Kaiser. It wears slower than a Super Tacky for sure, but I can't compare to a 3c. They need a compound similar to the 60a I would say, but they last well enough for where I ride.

I like to skid a lot too. ;)

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I really like the Kaiser. It wears slower than a Super Tacky for sure, but I can't compare to a 3c. They need a compound similar to the 60a I would say, but they last well enough for where I ride.

I like to skid a lot too. ;)
Interesting. Tires tend to wear fast here, there are lots of rocks and cement like hardpack. I've been running a Minion 2.5 ST front and a Neuron 2.5 rear for a while which is working great.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I don't tear beads cause I don't use Maxxis UST.
Happy with Maxxis, as they're cheap and easy to get here in Oz, just not happy they come off Maxxis rims, makes it scary.
Seems it's Mavic causing the problem mainly but.
Anyone rolled any other brand tyres off Mavic rims?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I don't tear beads cause I don't use Maxxis UST.
Happy with Maxxis, as they're cheap and easy to get here in Oz, just not happy they come off Maxxis rims, makes it scary.
Seems it's Mavic causing the problem mainly but.
Anyone rolled any other brand tyres off Mavic rims?
The only tires I've had real problems rolling off rims have been Maxxis single plys off everything on my trail bike.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
I always have a b*tch of a time getting Michelin's onto Mavics (which would lend the thought that if Maxxis are too big but Michelin is too small, maybe Mavic is a good diameter). But at the same time, I've also never even broken a sweat getting ANY specialized tire onto any rim. They run the loosest of any tire and are also the only tire that I've never heard any of my riding buddies roll. Maybe the problem lies with Maxxis?

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Yeah in my experience Specialized tires run even looser. I didn't quite get a big whip back a few years ago at whistler after they turned the gapotron into a double and it ripped the tire straight off the rim (721). I've botched similar whips with Minions and never had the same thing happen.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah, I've taken Maxxis SPs off rims just cornering. Never had a problem with their DH tires.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I really haven't experienced what you guys speak of. I have three sets of Mavics (DeeMax, CrossMax SX and ST) on three different bikes all running maxxis meat (Mostly Minions DH ply and ADvantages or Highrollers UST). At first maxxis' are a bit difficult to get on, actually. I've never had one come off while riding.

What kind of pressures you guys running? With tubes or tubeless?

Of course I don't botch my whips....:D