Quantcast

Paging T-Pro/Snowshoe UCI

Nov 3, 2003
Virginia
Hey Trevyn
Is there any talk of Snowshoe hosting the UCI World Cup Downhill event since Angelfire Resort dropped it?
Snowshoe definitely has World Cup caliper courses and facilities.

UCI World Cup DHI/4X #1 12-13.05.2007 Vigo (ESP)
UCI World Cup XCO #3/DHI/4X #2 09-10.06.2007 Champ�ry (SUI)
UCI World Cup XCO #4/DHI/4X #3 23-24.06.2007 Mount-Sainte-Anne (CAN)
UCI World Cup XCO #5/DHI/4X #4 30.06-1.07.2007 TBD (USA)
UCI World Cup DHI/4X #5 07-08.07.2007 Schladming (AUT)
UCI World Cup XCO/DHI/4X #6 15-16.09. Maribor (SLO)

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I think the only downside will be the road coming in from the major freeway. I believe that was the central issue with Angelfire this year.

Would be cool to have on there though...

Mr Ridiculous

Margarita my slippers
Apr 21, 2006
Morgantown, WV
I could see them potentially getting a World Cup, since they hosted a NORBA race for several years, as well as Monster Park. However, given how much just putting Monster Park together affected the normal trail maintenance and new trail development, wouldn't the effort to host a successful World Cup make them basically forget about normal everyday riding during the summer?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I could see them potentially getting a World Cup, since they hosted a NORBA race for several years, as well as Monster Park. However, given how much just putting Monster Park together affected the normal trail maintenance and new trail development, wouldn't the effort to host a successful World Cup make them basically forget about normal everyday riding during the summer?
They could definantly do it, they have top notch trail crew up there, and plenty of terrain to work with, but you are right, it would probably take away from the everyday riding stuff, which from other posts is what I think SS is trying to get back to this year.

Bearmntpicnic

Monkey
Oct 23, 2005
charlottesville
they have already said that they arent going to host 4 races up there becuase of time issues with basic trail maintanace. They are planning on concentrating on new trail development this year.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Massanutten put on a successful World Cup Race, and you guys think that Snowshoe can't?
They could have it no problem.
my thoughts exactly.

their whole facility is set up perfect for such a large event.
and getting there isn't as big a problem as you think.
the big silver bird could set your happy azz right down in richmond.
and just rent a car.

how cool would that event be, so close to home ??

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
they have already said that they arent going to host 4 races up there becuase of time issues with basic trail maintanace. They are planning on concentrating on new trail development this year.
we were there enough this past year to see that their trails are deteriorating quickly.

their biggest problem is such a short building season.
they have to wait til the snow melts then build before riding season begins.
not near enough time to build.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
my thoughts exactly.

their whole facility is set up perfect for such a large event.
and getting there isn't as big a problem as you think.
the big silver bird could set your happy azz right down in richmond.
and just rent a car.

how cool would that event be, so close to home ??

Thats a long ass drive from Richmond, surely there is a closer airport?
(Or, like Dart said, just land them at the top of the mountain!)

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
It will never happen for reasons beyond what you guys have mentioned thus far............hosting mtb events simply doesn't turn enough revenue for a resort (Whistler being the exception) to make it something they want to strongly pursue. Simply put, no matter how much we all want to see Snowshoe be a huge success and the mtb program grow by leaps and bounds, the powers that be are only concerned with the bottom line of the budget and what turns a good revenue.........and the mtb program is at the bottom of that list.

Not raining on anyone's parade, but just giving my observations as someone that's been on the inside looking out in the past.

Bearmntpicnic

Monkey
Oct 23, 2005
charlottesville
I dont know if its neccisarly a bad thing that snowshoe isent hosting a UCI. everyone who rides (maybe not everyone) in the area knows about snowshoe and im not sure if the gain to expendetures would be worth it.