Quantcast

Paid Memberships

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ok, I know I've tossed this out before. Got some other ideas rolling around my brain that I figured I'd throw out.

-I know that ad-free is a no go for this. What about some kind of control over the ads we would see? Like, no flashy blinky ads, no roll-out ads, only ads from certain product categories.

-Rep. Allow to give rep to members more frequently. IE, no more "must spread rep" popups. Maybe different rep levels? Like, Normal, Large, XL, depending on the quality/comedy of the post.

-larger size allotment for PM's.

-eliminating/decreasing the 30 second rule for posts. I know this could pose an issue for flooding, but I doubt I'm the only monkey that has more than one forum of RM open in tabs at a time. Would obviously require some sort of review / approval process for granting paid memberships to keep spammers out.

-allow user editable custom titles

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
And I know this one is still a pipe dream (translation: software limitation), but I'd LOVE to be able to customize the order that the forums appear. So I can put the ones I frequent up top and the ones I never visit lower.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I disagree here. The "earning" of a custom title is always a source of great amusement. It denotes someone going the extra mile, for good, ill or teh stupid. For example, every time I see mandown's "poopdeck repost" I :rofl:
yea I know.

PS you should +rep me for facepalm jesus in the global warming thread

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
I disagree here. The "earning" of a custom title is always a source of great amusement. It denotes someone going the extra mile, for good, ill or teh stupid. For example, every time I see mandown's "poopdeck repost" I :rofl:
I agree. HOWEVER, RM could institute a method of PAYING for a title change. That should bring in some $.

Paid bans?

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
-Rep. Allow to give rep to members more frequently. IE, no more "must spread rep" popups. Maybe different rep levels? Like, Normal, Large, XL, depending on the quality/comedy of the post.
I'd be top 3 if this was true.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
did we not have premium memberships just a few years ago??
Yes, but it was an absolute money loser. The memberships were $20/year but the only people who would buy them were our most frequently-visiting members. The ad impressions were worth a lot more than $20/year, so while money isn't the driving force behind everything, giving away money didn't seem like a good idea.

I'm still willing to discuss some kind of premium membership, I'm just wondering how many people would really participate. I mean, such customizations to the rep system are impossible without back-end coding changes, so that can only be a possibility if it will offset the cost of actually coding customizations.

There were few enough premium memberships and that actually had a real tangible benefit. Are enough people really going to pay money so that they can rep more often, to make it worth the time/effort of managing that money/recurring membership/modifications to the board config/maintaining mods through upgrades/etc.?

clarkenstein

Monkey
Nov 28, 2008
why not just have a fund raiser? the whole "put your money where your mouth is" argument usually works. i know i just started posting on here so my opinion is as important as you caring that i even woke up this morning, but i'll toss whateva out there.

one of the other forums i frequent - a local mtb board - just ain't doin' it for me anymore. i have given scratch to them for three years, even this year even though i am really not liking what's being posted all that much; but i donated just because i use the site daily.

anyway, they have an annual fund drive and it works out pretty well i think. they set up a paypal account, open up the fund raiser for a week, and see what happens. they will use stickers/pint glasses/free crap for incentives for donation levels.

clarkenstein

Monkey
Nov 28, 2008
this isn't about making money for the site. this is about me wanting to be special and have powers that others dont
ahhh. i got nuthin' for special powers.

maybe watch the twilight trilogy 1000x and you'll become a vampire? then you could have special powers, or just end up really gay.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
ahhh. i got nuthin' for special powers.

maybe watch the twilight trilogy 1000x and you'll become a vampire? then you could have special powers, or just end up really gay.
my girlfriend has already dragged me to see the movies. I made it out without gouging my eyes out and I'd like to keep it that way.

I have been tempted to buy some ad impressions on here just to put up some ridiculous pictures.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I'm not interested in a subscription, but I know a way for RM to make some money.

I think you should be able to edit anybody's custom title (including your own) for a fee, say 3 dollars.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
On another forum for costs we do:

$5 for custom title
$20 for ban credit
$50 to ban someone for 7 days and in RM's case, rename The Lounge for a month