Quantcast

painkillers

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Westy said:
I stick with Aleve. I have never been perscribed good pain killers by a doctor no matter how bad the pain was. I have a friend who get prescribed pain killers when she gets a paper cut.
Yeah. I got prescribed something when I got my tonsils out when I was 18, but I don't know what it was. Since then, only Vitamin-I and the occasional aspirin, acetominophen, or naproxin.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
SkaredShtles said:
Yeah. I got prescribed something when I got my tonsils out when I was 18, but I don't know what it was. Since then, only Vitamin-I and the occasional aspirin, acetominophen, or naproxin.
I actually started going into shock in the ER after a doctor ended up putting a stitch through a major nerve in my thumb. They yanked the stitch out and told me to pick up some tylenol on the way home.

I didn't need anything I guess, but it sure would hav been nice.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
Whiskey. The more the better.

When I broke my collarbone, the doctor said "yeah, that sucks. Wear this sling and see me in 4 weeks." That was it. Of course I didn't have insurance at the time so I could barely afford the orthopedic visit, but no meds.

I usually take as few pills as possible. Maybe an advil or 2 for big headaches or tooth aches. I hyperextended my elbow snowboarding last night and its hurts like hell right now. Nothing like a fast good run and then slipping in the lift line. I sure could go for some whiskey. But alas, I'd lose my job. Maybe a couple of advil for lunch.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
amydalayna said:

this didn't require any immediate surgery. but i still cried like a little girl. i've never broken my leg, but i don't think i could ride with one.
What bone did you break in your arm? It looks like the same one I broke in August. I got some Morphine at the hospital (we were in Canada:) ) but other than that I only took some OTC PM pills to help me get to sleep.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
That looks like a humorus fracture...which is impressive being that its a really big strong bone.

Advil is my DOC. Its' weird cause its really really effective for me. Other drugs, especially Naproxen does absolutely nothing for me, even at prescription doses. Does anyone else have something like that?

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Anything with codeine in it. If in doubt raid your old girls medicine cabinet. Guaranteed she'll have a wonderful assortment of pain relieving medicines for you to choose from.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
valve bouncer said:
Anything with codeine in it. If in doubt raid your old girls medicine cabinet. Guaranteed she'll have a wonderful assortment of pain relieving medicines for you to choose from.
True dat. My wife is like a frikkin walking pharmacy.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
surfinguru said:
Bingo! Only downside to those is they have alot of caffine. Refrain from using before bedtime or you'll be up all night.

My MO is a couple of Advil for the normal bumps and bruises. Vic's for anything bigger. (Gotta be the real deal though. No generic crap or I get really pissy. :mumble: )
Apparently there's a way to separate the codeine - :confused: there must be instructions on the intraweb... :think:

I use the tylenol with codeine for my headaches and advil for aches pains and bumps. When a trip to the ER is imminent, I haven't/wouldn't bother taking anything as it won't make any difference compared to the shizzo they're going to give me.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
SuboptimusPrime said:
That looks like a humorus fracture...which is impressive being that its a really big strong bone.

Advil is my DOC. Its' weird cause its really really effective for me. Other drugs, especially Naproxen does absolutely nothing for me, even at prescription doses. Does anyone else have something like that?

Indeed a humerus. Mid shaft disloacted fracture it looks like. Not necessarily hard to do at all, given the right forces applied in the right places.

Want to talk about tough....I want to see someone snap their femur mid shaft.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
I Are Baboon said:
I can't imagine any OTC meds are going to help ease the pain of a freshly snapped wrist.
Yes there is, it comes in a fifth or 1.75, many different flavors.

On topic - I use Ibuprofen almost exclusively. However, it didn't do $hit recently for the stress fracture in my knee.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
my understanding is that when the pain is caused by inflamation, meds are good to try and get that undercontrol to keep it from swelling and damaging bursa or something like that. Seems that the medical industry agrees that painkillers and alcohol used together will put your liver at greater risk so I go for the tequila right after an injury and save the painkillers for any chronic pain like tendonitis. Fortunatley, I don't have chronic pain except during a long term heal from an injury. Broke my femur as a 15 year old kid and there aren't enough pain killers in the world to ease that pain....unless you're talking about fatal sedation.
Tore my hamstring last summer and did the immediate tequila treatment then lots of massage for several weeks. Still isn't back to 'normal' but close.

A snapped wrist probably induced some shock so that could be part of why he didn't want more for pain. Guessing he'll be experiencing more pain off and on until it's healed.

The following excerpt from this article might be worth a shot:
6 - Sex Is the Opiate of the Masses
Sex is nature's own pain reliever. Orgasm doubles the pain threshold, although the effect doesn't last long enough to serve as a treatment.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I like the 800mg perscription Ibuprofen. Same as taking 4 otc. I also like Percocet. One of my wisdom teeth is in serious pain right now and they're the only thing keeping me sane right now. Coming out friday though.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
1 or 2 aspirin, if that.

Occasional ibuprofen, if there is inflamation.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
robdamanii said:
Want to talk about tough....I want to see someone snap their femur mid shaft.
I've been unlucky enough to see a guy do that. Snowmobiling accident where the guy tried to snap a power pole in half with his quad at 50mph. :dead: I was way behind so I saw it but never got very close after as there was plenty of help already. He snapped it in two places, trashed his knee up real good, dislocated his hip, broke his other tibia and fibula. I think it was pretty much instant shock because he apparently didn't make a peep. He's still pretty messed up from it, from what I hear.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
SilentJ said:
I've been unlucky enough to see a guy do that. Snowmobiling accident where the guy tried to snap a power pole in half with his quad at 50mph. :dead: I was way behind so I saw it but never got very close after as there was plenty of help already. He snapped it in two places, trashed his knee up real good, dislocated his hip, broke his other tibia and fibula. I think it was pretty much instant shock because he apparently didn't make a peep. He's still pretty messed up from it, from what I hear.
Yowza. Didn't Wade Simmons break his femur? I remember that was a pretty clean break though, not a whole lot of complications.

Then there was that guy in "Into The Void" that drove his femur into his tibia and fibula, shortening his leg by 6 inches. Then crawled out of a crevasse and limped for a few miles in the middle of nowhere to his camp. Hardcore.

While we're on the topic of horrific breaks, this woman at a horse ranch near where I live got bucked and the horse landed on top of her. She broke her femur, broke her pelvis in a few places, and shattered the socket in her pelvis. Horses are dangerous things.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i think the aleve is primarily an anti imflammatory.

i can ride out the pain for a while, but nagging pain doesn't do any good.

i was pretty blitzed out after i broke my leg, but after awhile i'd use the pain killers to kill the pain after i would do physical therapy early on.

Worked out perfect for me i walked around a lake with crutches, used the last pill i had in the prescription when i got home because it was killing me. Sure enough after that the pain went down to the tolerable level.

You use it for whatever works for you. i have an addictive personality too so i have to be careful with it, it's not just about being tough or anything.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
Snacks said:
What bone did you break in your arm? It looks like the same one I broke in August. I got some Morphine at the hospital (we were in Canada:) ) but other than that I only took some OTC PM pills to help me get to sleep.
humerus. but not all that funny. ha ha ha.

i hate most pain pills because i end up saying a bunch of dumb stuff. not that i don't when i'm not on pain pills....

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
amydalayna said:
humerus. but not all that funny. ha ha ha.

i hate most pain pills because i end up saying a bunch of dumb stuff. not that i don't when i'm not on pain pills....
I just talked to Mr. Amydalayna. He seems to be a little out of it on the stuff he is taking now.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
sanjuro said:
I just talked to Mr. Amydalayna. He seems to be a little out of it on the stuff he is taking now.
dooood. he was totally wrecked after surgery yesterday. not good. yellow oval-shaped pain killers made him sleep lots.

i guess no sea otter for us :(

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
amydalayna said:
dooood. he was totally wrecked after surgery yesterday. not good. yellow oval-shaped pain killers made him sleep lots.

i guess no sea otter for us :(
I suggested you guys should still go, even if only you race.

And he has a little nausea as well. I suggested a readily found herbal remedy...

Getting in late on this, usually nothing. A single Advil if something's going on that makes it hard to get to sleep. After arm surgery to reduce fracture last June, two hydrocodone the first night. The rest got dumped in the toilet.

People dose themselves with way too many "pain killers" when they don't need them.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
Jabuttri said:
when I ride or ski I keep an RX painkiller in my backback. It would come in handy if i really messed myself up
how long do you think the pain killers last? don't you think they might go bad at some point?

sanjuro - still might race sea otter even if the mr. amydalayna is hurt up. but it's alot more fun if both of us are racing. we'll see. i'll cross my fingers and hope i can make it through the rest of the winter injury free. i think you might be right about the high altitude weakening the bones....