Quantcast

Paint Question

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I recently started restoring some old lionel trains (1930s) They needed a complete re-painting, so i got some metal safe fast dry spray paint and went to work, I have finished (painting) 4 of them already and am almost done with the last 2 (pair) This is where the problem begins, I have been painting the exact same and doing everything as i did, but i keep running into problems. The tops of the trains wont "dry" I figured the first time i sprayed too heavy, so i stripped them and started over, same result (and i didnt spray much) They come out looking great and dry to the touch, but it leaves fingerprints in the paint (only visible in the light, if i wipe it off it screws up the gloss) I left dry for 2 weeks and they are the same, i also tried baking in the oven at 100 degrees for 5 hours, same result. The paint drys to a sticky rubber (but not soft to the touch, mostly just sticky)

The second problem is that the bottom of the trains is sprayed with the same company paint in the same compound, but doesnt come out glossy, looks matte/satin, sort of like if i were to spray it with sand in the paint (but i havent finished all the coats yet)

1. What am i doing wrong? (both parts)
2. Is there a fast dry super hard clear coat i can just spray over the "sticky" paint?
3. Why is the second ones coming out so grainy (so far?)

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
are you using a primer?
This... for metal you need primer, for plastics you need an adhesion promoter.

Also, sounds like the quality of the paint your using isnt all that great...... Usingan airbrush? Or rattle can?

That or you have something on the material before you are spraying.... IE material isnt clean

Last edited:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
This... for metal you need primer, for plastics you need an adhesion promoter.

Also, sounds like the quality of the paint your using isnt all that great...... Usingan airbrush? Or rattle can?
Rattlecan, did not primer (but didnt primer all the good ones either)

Using Valspar gloss paint

*only having trouble with blue and dark blue(the only blues i used)

spraying new blue over old blue (color is pretty close)

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I will try the 2nd one with a primer (recomendations?) Can i prime over the paint i already painted on? Is there a fast dry glossy clearcoat i can put over the "rubber" paint?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Well, Ideally you would have not removed all the original paint, but scuffed it and allowed the new paint to adhere right to it...... I would be stripping and starting over myself.

You answered alot of your own questions with the rattle can..... Alot of materials and paits will work alot better with different spray patterens, and different pressures. If you really want these to come out really nice, its time to start using an air brush.

In an answer to the question... yes, you can get clearcoat in a rattle can...... it will give you a nice orange peel looking finish whe your done. You can make or break your clearcoat job with the delivery, different types, different brands all lay differently when spraying, most have a reccemended Nozzle size and pressure to give you the best results...... BUT reguardless your underlying paint must still be properly cured before laying on a layer of clear

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Well, Ideally you would have not removed all the original paint, but scuffed it and allowed the new paint to adhere right to it...... I would be stripping and starting over myself.
The original paint from lionel is on there, when i ****ed up i removed all my paint (with acetone) which doesnt take the old lionel paint off, i can use steel wool to scratch it up a bit (and i did) it worked the same way, i get awesome results, but i cant touch them :mad:

Right now i have 2 roofs that are sticky, and 2 bottoms that are "sandy" looking and sticky. What would be the exact steps to fixing this? Is an air brush necessary, i hate to be cheap, especially when it could come out nice, but i dont want to sink 10X what i paid for them into them. I am a complete rookie to this, and most of the sites i read said spray paint or have them sent out somewhere to get painted. (which im not necessarily against)

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
an airbrush isnt nessecary.... just better. Take it down to the original paint... leave it for a week or so... wash it really well to make sure you get all teh acetone off.... Lay down some primer, leave overnight and paint..... That should help alot

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Aren't those old Lionel trains in demand by collectors? Serious question, I know nothing about model railroading.

If so wouldn't you want to maybe take the trains to a hobby shop or look for Lionel train enthusiasts online and ask questions? Trainmonkey dot com!

Inanswer to your question about the paint.. try a hobby shop or a game shop that sells gaming miniatures. They may be able to recommend a good paint to use.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I can pretty much tell you that you ruined all the value when you started to repaint them.
They didnt have much how i got them, the local train shop "reserves" all the trash that isnt savable and i go and fix it, these were rusted beyond belief. While im not bat**** crazy about collecting them, im pretty knowledgeable on the trains themselves, just not how to fix them. I got them for 20 each, in good condition they are around 250 each. The guy says that if i were to restore them and do a good job, i would be looking at 100 each. I am not doing it for value though, its actually a christmas present for my grandfather, he is really into trains and restoring them, his collection is unbelievable, i still cant believe the **** he gets his hands on :eek:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
my $.02.

You could be laying the paint on too think, too quickly. Most paint cures through an evaporative process. If you lay it on thick the paint can 'skin', drying on the surface but in turn sealing the paint from elements and keeping the paint from fully hardening.

If you're using spray can paint, lay it down in very light layers. Minimal warm moving air can help the paint flash quicker and cure. Then you're ready for another coat.