Quantcast

Paint Stripping Izimu

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
Alright, i feel like im going crazy here.

2 or so years ago i stripped my IH S.G.S with Strip-X stripper and worked beautifully. gave the stripper about 10 min and the paint just bubbled off.

2 days ago i bought the same stripper for my 06 MW Izimu, and it's BARELY working. The paint is prob VERY different from S.G.S, seems like there are alot of layers on my frame. its not powdercoated, it had a golden-ish paint to it. I do not want to continue to use a steel brush to the paint/ aluminum frame because you can see the tiny scratches.

any tips?
any tips on removing the paint up in the headtube/ gusset / shock mount area?

meh,
jordan

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Chemical paint stripper didn't do Sh!t for my Morewood. I had to take it somewhere to get media blasted. Someone on here stripped an Izimu a couple of weeks ago and suggested a chemical stripper called "DADs" if I remember correctly.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
Chemical paint stripper didn't do Sh!t for my Morewood. I had to take it somewhere to get media blasted. Someone on here stripped an Izimu a couple of weeks ago and suggested a chemical stripper called "DADs" if I remember correctly.

yeah " Bicyclest " I beilive was his name.

i keep on buying these strippers and they dont cut it

i need a better stripper:rimshot:

greengreer

Monkey
Apr 27, 2008
NC
aircraft stripper should still remove the paint, if you have to use a wire brush you can remove the little scratches with 3M scotchbrite, should be available at any auto parts place, go for the red/burgundy colored pads. also you can put on some heavy gloves and use scotchbrite pads instead of a wire brush to rub the paint off

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yeah, I stripped my Izimu a few weeks ago. I used the Dad's brand aircraft paint stripper. It took a lot of coats, but I never even took a brush to it, I just kept scraping off the bubbling paint. It was a 2008 with white paint.

Now I want to polish it though! :D

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
the stip-x just makes the paint moist, and when i brush it off all the bits and peices of paint fling everywhere and burn me haha. but even brushing the "moist" paint off does not strip all the paint off, there is still a translucent "film" of the golden color still on the frame. baaah

i want to stop using the steel brush, and the paint to bubble off. I WANT!:panic: