Quantcast

Paint vs. Powder Coat?

XJman07

Chimp
Aug 28, 2007
Folsom, CA
So im deciding whether or not i want to paint or powder coat my frame. What are the biggest differences? I know that powder coat is stronger and tougher but what does it cost? How hard would it be to just strip and paint it in my garage? Any special paints?
any help is appreciated
thanks

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
What paint is on there now? If it's powder coat, you'll have to use something like aircraft stripper.

I'm not exactly sure on prices. I know it's usually a bit less than anodizing. Maybe $80 to powder coat a frame? The advantage to using standard paint is you can touch it up and have it match...unlike a powder coat which can't be touched up with powder.

kuksul08

Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
Powder coat is paint. Think of it this way...paint you are thinking of in a can is just a pigment suspended in a liquid solution. Powder coat is utilizing only the pigment in pure powder form and making it stick through electrostatic charge.

Powdercoat is more resilient because it adheres to the aluminum better (One of the processes in powdercoating is a chemical bath which etches the surface of the aluminum). It still scratches though.

I'd say some chemical stripper either way. If you have a pro do it for around $100 they will deal with most of it (acid bath for the old paint, etching, clearcoat, etc).

In your garage I'd say give it the chemical stripper, then sand it lightly everywhere so the paint can stick. Use primer and a clearcoat as well. Should be a bunch cheaper and last a little while. As for touchups, you could touchup powdercoat and regular paint the same way. (On my black PC frame I use either sharpie or a black crayon because I don't have any black paint)

GL!

seanyboy760

Chimp
Dec 2, 2007
powder coat is heavy but sturdy paint light not as sturdy but now a days pretty good i suggest paint its cheaper to

Mar 1, 2005
Man screw that , look on line they sell powder coat guns for 50- 100bucks do it your self . you will be able to powder coat all types of parts when ever you want just find and old electric oven.Im about to order myself one and use a toaster oven for pedals etc.Look online youll be surprised how easy it is. You can buy a hand held bead blast gun cheap to go to harbor freight inexpensive or paint stripper.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
You could probably have it stripped on the cheap. Aircraft stripper is really easy to use at home just wear protective gear especially on your eyes. When youre done I suggest wiping it down with a little laquer thinner to clean up any residue should you choose to paint it.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
As far as strippers go, gasket remover works amazing. I have found that a hot water pressure washer works well for removing the loosened paint. But for whatever stripper you use be prepaired tp get high. . . that sh!t is potent

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I had my Imperial media-blasted and powdercoated for $75. My buddy got his frame painted (in the same town) for $125 and that didn't include stripping. From personal experience, don't waste your time chemically stripping the frame, its a hassle and the supplies almost cost as much as most places charge for stripping(if they charge at all).

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
alot of powdercoat places now are asking for bare frames if they are aluminum. It all depends on how lucky you get and who has what equipment. Of the 8 shops I called in the baltimore area 7 said they wanted bare aluminum if they were to do anything, the last one said that there was a guy down the street from him that would chem strip it for him. Powdercoat is actually softer than paint and therefore absorbs some of the energy of the media to get around this alot of places would just turn up the pressure like they do for steel, but in the case of a bike frame that has been proven to weaken the frame. Chemical stripping is the safe way to get around this.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
its also hard to compromise the strength of an imperial though. My giant dh team was powdercoated and sand blasted to strip. Its now a kitchen ornament due to cracks. Looks good though.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
alot of powdercoat places now are asking for bare frames if they are aluminum. It all depends on how lucky you get and who has what equipment. Of the 8 shops I called in the baltimore area 7 said they wanted bare aluminum if they were to do anything, the last one said that there was a guy down the street from him that would chem strip it for him. Powdercoat is actually softer than paint and therefore absorbs some of the energy of the media to get around this alot of places would just turn up the pressure like they do for steel, but in the case of a bike frame that has been proven to weaken the frame. Chemical stripping is the safe way to get around this.
That sucks, the place I take my stuff to chemically strips, bead blasts then powder coats.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Yeah makes sense since the chemically stripping would probably remove the majority of the material. A light media blast to touch up any tough spots probably is still common practice.