Quantcast

Painting - Bike related

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Anyone know of a good frame painter/powdercoater that's pretty reasonable? I have a Cove Handjob (steel XC bike) that needs to be made all nice and shiny again. I'm thinking single color (pearl white or gloss black) w/ clear over decal (or stensil) and 2 forks (Z2 Atom 80 and a RS Sid Race, both '01s) of the same color. I used some carb cleaner on the frame to clean one time and it took the existing finish right off at the seat collar area. :(
I'm in CO, close enough to Spectrum Powderworks to drive it there in a day. I've also looked at AirGlow (both kinda expensive, like around the $400 range!).

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
WELL...since you are asking...and you are relatively new and probably weren't around with my dilema with my V10 last year...I sent my frame to Spectrum Powder Works in Colorado...they did a KICK ASS job and look how friggin PIMP this is! I will shamelessly post yet another pic (or 3) of it for you.

frame:

close up...yes, the flames and flowers are pc'd:

the final product:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Pau11y said:
Anyone know of a good frame painter/powdercoater that's pretty reasonable? I have a Cove Handjob (steel XC bike) that needs to be made all nice and shiny again. I'm thinking single color (pearl white or gloss black) w/ clear over decal (or stensil) and 2 forks (Z2 Atom 80 and a RS Sid Race, both '01s) of the same color. I used some carb cleaner on the frame to clean one time and it took the existing finish right off at the seat collar area. :(
I'm in CO, close enough to Spectrum Powderworks to drive it there in a day. I've also looked at AirGlow (both kinda expensive, like around the $400 range!).
Drive to the hardware store. Purchase 4 cans of Rust-Oleum gloss black. Spray the crap out of frame.

HTH

-S.S.-

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
dh girlie said:
WELL...since you are asking...and you are relatively new and probably weren't around with my dilema with my V10 last year...I sent my frame to Spectrum Powder Works in Colorado...they did a KICK ASS job and look how friggin PIMP this is! I will shamelessly post yet another pic (or 3) of it for you.
I am a friggin' n00b :D
What kind of $$ did that baby blue job run you? I've seen their handywork on their site and it IS really tasty. But their prices...

SS, I actually have access to a blasting/spray booth. I thought about wet painting it, but it just doesn't take a beating like PC does.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Pau11y said:
What kind of $$ did that baby blue job run you? I've seen their handywork on their site and it IS really tasty. But their prices...

SS, I actually have access to a blasting/spray booth. I thought about wet painting it, but it just doesn't take a beating like PC does.
Who cares what kind of beating it can take? I told you to buy *4* cans of Rust-Oleum. 2 to paint the frame and 2 to touch up the scratches and flakes about once a month. :think:

-S.S.-

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Pau11y said:

Four fitty. They stripped the old pc off, too. But if you're going with a solid color, I doubt it would be anywhere near that much. I think they told me around 200 when I was considering painting it one color.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Pau11y said:
...plus 2 forks which might have to be wet painted.
Just wet paint the forks yourself... It'll cost you $20 for the spraypaint, and the savings from that will allow you to get your frame PC'd the way you want. Figure, the forks are essentially disposable, but the frame will last a long time.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
binary visions said:
Just wet paint the forks yourself... It'll cost you $20 for the spraypaint, and the savings from that will allow you to get your frame PC'd the way you want. Figure, the forks are essentially disposable, but the frame will last a long time.
Pau11y - spray the whole goddam thing and use the savings to buy beer at Golden City Brewery when you move to town. :thumb:

-S.S.-

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
binary visions said:

Every time you post...I imagine what you write being spoken in Professor Frinks voice with that tick he has where he makes that sound...hahaha!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Pau11y said:
No thanx. Got plenty of that on my own, don't need more. BUT, dhgirlie might be able to help you out there LO :thumb:
uhh, I thought she had dibs on you? You are one sexy otter.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Pau11y said:
I had BREW powdercoat my 575 and it came out great. They charged me $100 and did it while I waited. They didn't have to strip it. www.brewracingframes.com

336-246-8555 ask for Kim or Steve.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
DRB said:
I had BREW powdercoat my 575 and it came out great. They charged me $100 and did it while I waited. They didn't have to strip it. www.brewracingframes.com

336-246-8555 ask for Kim or Steve.
Ahhhh now that's more like it! Thanx man, I'll give Kim or Steve a shout.

Edit: Called. They use a burnoff oven to strip; 8-900 degrees for 1.5 hours. Hum... Navichrom is an air hardened steel tubeset. I wonder if that heat will change the tempering of the tubes.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
DRB said:
They didn't have to strip it.
:think:

Didn't have to strip it...

Wouldn't that make for a very weak/easy to chip powdercoat? If it's bonded to paint instead of the frame, won't it only be as durable as the paint when it comes to chipping? Of course, it'll still be tougher to scratch/rub...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Pau11y said:
Sexy otter, no follow... :think:
you need more SeaLab 2021 in your life.

As for DH Girlie, I don't remember, but I think she posted pics. BurlySurly is hot for her and he's one shallow mofo ;)

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
binary visions said:

Wouldn't that make for a very weak/easy to chip powdercoat? If it's bonded to paint instead of the frame, won't it only be as durable as the paint when it comes to chipping? Of course, it'll still be tougher to scratch/rub...
Burnoff oven. Kim told me it turns the existing paint to dust, then they bead blast the weld area to finish the "stripping". Then they scotch bright to get to bare metal, then pc.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
binary visions said:

They didn't have to strip it because it was already stripped.

DHGIRLIE posted photos of herself with 2 monkeys somewhere. I remember because the "monkeys" were quite nice :devil: .

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Pau11y said:
Burnoff oven. Kim told me it turns the existing paint to dust, then they bead blast the weld area to finish the "stripping". Then they scotch bright to get to bare metal, then pc.
Even better. They couldn't do that to mine because it was aluminum. I had to strip it myself but with a chemical stripper it took me a couple of hours.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
DRB said:
They didn't have to strip it because it was already stripped.
:thumb: Gotcha!

Pau11y, I'd guess I'd still consider that "stripping" - no matter how you manage it, you're still going through a process of removing the old paint. I thought DRB meant that they just PC'd over the existing paint.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Krylon es muy bueno....

Unless you want it fancy schmancy or durable (powdercoat) paint her yourself. It's easy. Many coats of clear give you that deep buffed/waxed look. Just stay away from glitter. ugh! Difficult to work with.

Here is one of mine....

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Ciaran said:
Krylon es muy bueno....

Unless you want it fancy schmancy or durable (powdercoat) paint her yourself. It's easy. Many coats of clear give you that deep buffed/waxed look. Just stay away from glitter. ugh! Difficult to work with.

Here is one of mine....
Humm.. a Pepto pink rig... Might prove useful for rides during hunting season.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Maas Bros, here in Livermore, Ca. does awesome work, I've had several frames powder coated from them and its always awesome!!!! Reasonably priced. I believe it runs between $125-$179 depending on what you want.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Ciaran said:
Yours is still the best I've seen. Just beautiful. Almost a crime to ride and get scratched and such. Almost.
I know...it is beautiful...turned out better than I ever thought possible.
Thanks to launching myself otb at Downieville two rides into the dh season last year and busting my hand, its hasn't been riden much with that paintjob...I figure this season, should I choose to not break any bones, it will get scratched and such. :( it will be a VERY sad, sad day...

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
dh girlie said:
I know...it is beautiful...turned out better than I ever thought possible.
Thanks to launching myself otb at Downieville two rides into the dh season last year and busting my hand, its hasn't been riden much with that paintjob...I figure this season, should I choose to not break any bones, it will get scratched and such. :( it will be a VERY sad, sad day...
They make this stuff called Ski Coat, or something like that. It's a thick vinyl plastic clear tape in about 4.5" widths. It's for scratch protection on ski top skins. It won't stop a big ding from a rock, but will stop scratches from laying her over at lower speeds. Just a thought.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
dh girlie said:
Could be dangerous too...being a fella on a pink bike during hunting season with all those drunken homophobic rednecks out there...:eek:
Good thing I live in So Cal. Where even the rednecks are metrosexual. The pink frame looks pretty cool with all black parts.

Yeah.. "linky" is ghey... "bikeys" is ghey unless you are skookum. :D

Pau11y, don't forget to post pictures when you get your frame done.