Quantcast

Painting frame and forks...any help?

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Hey guys, since I am out for quite a while because of a recent injury to my shoulder I figured it were time to overhaul my DH bike. I have a 2005 Santa Cruz VP Free. I am pretty excited about finally giving this bike some much needed attention. I have a new complete wheel set, Fox 40-RC2’s, new bearings/bushings, etc for the bike. But I wanted to repaint the frame to give it an even better new look.

I wanted to know if anyone had any helpful tips on the process. I have a friend with a bead blaster for getting paint off of the parts I want to paint. But I am not really to sure on the process from there.

Another thing I wanted to do was paint the lowers on the 40's. I have never seen it done and was curious how the best way would be to go about doing it? I also have a family friend who does anodizing. I don’t think that would work on the fork lowers – or would it?

My main goal is to have the fork match the frames color. If I can’t anodize the fork, I will just paint both and scratch the idea of anodizing because I want them both to have the same look.

I am also trying to think of what color I should do it. The links on the frame are already red so I was thinking about just leaving those and painting the frame/forks to match. I have all of the factory stickers for the frame and fork so it should look pretty clean when it’s all done.

Any ideas, tips, suggestions are welcome.

Here is my bike as of right now with the old forks on it:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Your best bet would be to have everything you want painted, powdercoated. It's far more convenient than painting yourself.

But if you insist on doing it your self, take your time. Here's a few tips:

- Many light coats of paint is better than fewer heavy coats.

- Prepwork is the most important thing. If your primer coat is not smooth like glass, then your final coat won't be either.

- When sanding, use fine sandpaper, gradually moving down grades getting finer and finer till your using fine steel wool. You can always spray more primer on if you sand too much off.

- When your primer coat is smooooooooove like buttah, then spray your color coat. Use just enough to get the color you want. Seal it with clear acrylic.

Ghetto Krylon paint jobs can come out good if you take your time...

P.S. : There is not one drop of red paint on my frame. The red is all from glitter. :D

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The factory powdercoat on the SC bikes is heavy. You will need to use a chemical stripper to get it off and you don't want the srtipper to be on there too long, or it can harm the aluminum.

Use a good metal wash in a spray bottle and a hose to get the goop off. It's a huge pain in the ass and you may need to do it 2-3 times to get all of it off. It's best to work in small sections like one tube at a time.

Good luck with that. I have done about a dozen SC frames and each one took about 2 days worth of work. I also had an old dog wash sink and sprayer, so that helped.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Just so you understand, wet paint WILL NOT hold up like powdercoating does. If you want to change the color, just know that the wet paint finish won't take the same abuse and yo umay end up needing to repaint it.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
jimmydean said:
Just so you understand, wet paint WILL NOT hold up like powdercoating does. If you want to change the color, just know that the wet paint finish won't take the same abuse and yo umay end up needing to repaint it.
:stupid:

This is very true. If you are looking for durability then it's powdercoat all the way. When painting I use many many coats of claear acrylic to help protect it. Still doesn't compare to powdercoating though.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Take it to a professional. It won't cost much $$$ at all. SLO PowderCoating was doing frames one color for between $40 and $60, and they looked great. They used to do all of Mountain Cycle's work until they moved production up to Oregon. Honestly, it's worth paying 50 bucks for a frame that looks brand new... I just Kryloned a frame, and it looks like a traffic cone. You don't want a traffic cone. Go to SLO PC.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
bikenweed said:
I just Kryloned a frame, and it looks like a traffic cone.
You need to work on your ghetto skills. Mine was done with Krylon and looks awsome. (It's a "bass boat" red glitter).

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
i would use 20-40 grit sandpaper
if yuo have a compressor, get an air brush(20 bucks)
get a gallon of paint, or something
get primer and put that on(use a rattle can one maybe)
do about 5 coats, just cover it the first time to get some paint, then start going mroe and more, wait about 1 hour between each spraying or it goops, don't do it at night (fvcking nats get in the paint)
use a respirator
use 1 or 2 clear coats (for airbrush)
and don't use paint w/ latex in it(house paints have that)

if you don't want to do that

rattle can baby!

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
habitatxskate said:
i would use 20-40 grit sandpaper
if yuo have a compressor, get an air brush(20 bucks)
get a gallon of paint, or something
get primer and put that on(use a rattle can one maybe)
do about 5 coats, just cover it the first time to get some paint, then start going mroe and more, wait about 1 hour between each spraying or it goops, don't do it at night (fvcking nats get in the paint)
use a respirator
use 1 or 2 clear coats (for airbrush)
and don't use paint w/ latex in it(house paints have that)

if you don't want to do that

rattle can baby!
Is it difficult to put together a post like this or does it come naturally?

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Shyrmp said:
Aircraft remover rocks.
:stupid: Seriously. I used aircraft remover on my Heckler front triangle to remove the black PC. I was done in less than an hour. The finish practically turned to plastic and lifted away from the frame. Had mine shot with one color and then a clear PC over that for $100 by a local guy.

The fork might be a little tougher. Should you PC fork lowers?

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I agree. Powder coating it would be the next most durable thing to anodizing. I'm pretty sure you could anodize your lowers on your fork (aren't they magnesium?).

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
moff_quigley said:
:stupid: Seriously. I used aircraft remover on my Heckler front triangle to remove the black PC. I was done in less than an hour. The finish practically turned to plastic and lifted away from the frame. Had mine shot with one color and then a clear PC over that for $100 by a local guy.

The fork might be a little tougher. Should you PC fork lowers?

Powdercoat IS plastic :D The problem with aircraft stripper is it can damage the aluminum. If it's left on too long, or isn't wash off properly, you will see discoloraition in the metal (that would be bad, m-kay). If done correctly, your fine.

Depending on where your frame was shot, milage may vary. I know the frames that used to be shot here in Portland for SC were done very well and took a lot to get clean.

As for using 20-40 grit sand paper, your an idiot if you think you can get the powder off without taking any metal with it. A bike frame is structural, not like the rusted fenders on your redneck truck. Thin the metal and your looking at more than a new paint job.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
i had to put thatin my profile jimmydean

i know of many people who have used 20-40 grit sandpaper to remove all of the paint on his bike..though, i just re-read his question, and noticed his bike is aluminum, and i'd trust that a lot more using that technique on steel., though it is durable to an extent...

still, it wouldn't be out of reason to use sandpaper, though maybe a little finner sand paper won't hurt..

and with your response with my "redneck truck's fenders" i actually did use some 40 grit today to remove a layer of bondo on the thin steel door, and it would take a lot of time to mess up the aluminum..it was on the door, which is made of sheet metal, a lot thinner then a bike frame..personally, if i was to do so, i would do it by hand then using a palm sander which can be used on such things as "redneck trucks"

the 40 grit doesn't rip it apart like you may thing, my truck before i bought it was red when when it was bought new in 87..then someone painted it blue directly over it..it took about 10 minutes to get all of the red paint to show in the selected area..i personally think you would be fine, but may prefer a thinner paper.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
All I'm saying is I went through a very painful process of being approved by Santa Cruz (among others) to refinish bike frames back in the day and sandpaper is out of the question for any frame, steel or otherwise.

Media blasting can only be done with low air and a soft media like walnut shells, silica, or garnet. Because most frames are built to spec, if you remove metal, you risk weakening the frame.

You will also void any warranty by refinishing your frame, so I guess how you do it is up to you anyway. Very few companys, if any will honor a warranty on a repainted frame.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Im not to concerned with the warranty considering im not the original owner of the frame. I also know a few employees from Santa Cruz that could help with with getting things replaced.

So if I were to go with the aircraft stuff where do you get it? How expensive is it?

So you guys think I could anodize the lowers?

You guys have brought up a lot of valid points and good tips. Keep them coming.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
You can get aircraft remover at Lowes or WalMart usually. Its not too pricey.

I always wanted to get a can of it and spray curst words into peoples' cars. Man that'd suck.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Powder coat your frame, Send the Fork to My Brother Spleenless!!! Excelent work, He is the guy that Painted DAvid K's cast last year. Also For those that know Foes Junky He Did his Boxxer

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
BurlyShirley said:
You can get aircraft remover at Lowes or WalMart usually. Its not too pricey.

I always wanted to get a can of it and spray curst words into peoples' cars. Man that'd suck.
NAPA is best for the real deal. The stuff you get at a hardware store isn't as good. It's about $10 for the small can and that should be more than enough to do it. Use gloves and some cheap horse hair brushes and go at it. As it bubbles, use a paint scraper to get it off.

Chunky Munkey

Herpes!
May 10, 2006
is ALWAYS key I say...
Color Suggestions? Umm how bout HOT PINK with LIME GREEN FORKS and YELLOW BARS with PURPLE SEAT POST!:rofl:

Paint it US MARINES DESERT CAMO!!! THAT would be cool. Airbrush the heat sheild look with the holes on your forks to look like a gun barrel!

What's the big deal with painting bikes I keep seeing on here. Why in hell would you want to paint your bike over? Just leave it and ride it I say. Any method to the madness?

What's the big deal to painting your bike over?

curious... it wont' make you ride better or the bike last longer or ride better so why bother. Cuts scrapes etc are battle scars, they look cool.

Chunky Munkey

Herpes!
May 10, 2006
is ALWAYS key I say...
Anyone ever think of just stripping it to the bare aluminum, then pollish the aluminum lightly till it sheens and clear coat it?

Oh one more color suggestion... GREATFUL DEAD TIE DIE AIR BRUSHED LOOK! And glue what looks like a pipe bowl coming out of the fork ends so it looks like two long bongs!

:D

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Chunky Munkey said:
Anyone ever think of just stripping it to the bare aluminum, then pollish the aluminum lightly till it sheens and clear coat it?

Oh one more color suggestion... GREATFUL DEAD TIE DIE AIR BRUSHED LOOK! And glue what looks like a pipe bowl coming out of the fork ends so it looks like two long bongs!

:D
I have a nickel metal flake clear powder that looks great over raw aluminum or steal. In the shade it just looks sort of like a polished finish (shiny, but not chrome looking), but in the sunlight it explodes with a disco 70's style! I have a 24k gold too, but it doesn't look as good over raw.

There was someone in the DH forum who was doing camo anodized finishes. That was sort of cool I thought.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
the only problem with pollishing it would be the heat marks from the welds, it would show redish, but hey, it'd look badass.

camo anodized finishes would be hardcore.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
jimmydean said:
I have a nickel metal flake clear powder that looks great over raw aluminum or steal. In the shade it just looks sort of like a polished finish (shiny, but not chrome looking), but in the sunlight it explodes with a disco 70's style! I have a 24k gold too, but it doesn't look as good over raw.

There was someone in the DH forum who was doing camo anodized finishes. That was sort of cool I thought.
That's Bullcrew. He does some really cool stuff.

Was it Spleenless that painted that fork gold? That looked so cool.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Chunky Munkey said:
What's the big deal with painting bikes I keep seeing on here. Why in hell would you want to paint your bike over? Just leave it and ride it I say. Any method to the madness?

curious... it wont' make you ride better or the bike last longer or ride better so why bother. Cuts scrapes etc are battle scars, they look cool.
The only reason I thought abut painting the bike is because I am not going to be riding for a few months while I am letting my shoulder heal and also while doing physical therapy. I figured paiting it would give me something to do while I have so much free time now that I'm not riding 6 days a week. Plus having a unique bike is always cool to see out on the trails or at races.

Oh here it is by the way:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
DirtyMike said:
Powder coat your frame, Send the Fork to My Brother Spleenless!!! Excelent work, He is the guy that Painted DAvid K's cast last year. Also For those that know Foes Junky He Did his Boxxer
Was that the black boxxer with the green flames?

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Chunky Munkey said:

It was a vanity thing I guess. My bike is going on 4 years old and I wanted to refresh it a bit. I guess if I really wanted to have my way I would have purchased a new frame. Repainting was a lot cheaper and it looks like I have a new bike now anyway.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
jimmydean said:
Powdercoat IS plastic :D
No it isn't.
(not sure if you meant that due to the smiley)

I am all for the DIY attitude but I believe the best way to go about doing the frame is to have it bead blasted (glass, plastic) then immediately re-powdercoated. Wet paint can CERTAINLY be made to be a very durable finish as well.

I painted the lowers on my '03 Super T to match my frame a couple of years ago. Sanded off the old paint, spraycan primer, sand, repeat until I got a nice base. Then about 5 coats of spraycan auto paint. (this was way before the deluge of white forks on the market. I guess I'm just a trend setter. :D )

The finish looked good but was not very durable. If I did it again I would consider p.c. if the lowers could withstand the heat required.

I hope your shoulder heals up quick. :thumb:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Nick said:
No it isn't.
(not sure if you meant that due to the smiley)
Yes, as a matter of fact it is. Powdercoat is pulverized extruded plastic. It starts out as a sheet of pigmented plastic that is ground to a fine powder. I have been using powder for nearly 10 years now. I have also been a part of the color process and have seen it from start to finish. I hope this makes sense.

Web definition for powder coating:

powder coating : uses very fine dry particles of resin with the pigment color of your choice. The resin powder is applied with a spray gun similar in concept to applying solvent based paint. The difference is this spray gun and it's resin contents are electrostatically charged. When the resin powder is sprayed onto a part it sticks to the metal because it's grounded, attracting charged resin powder like a magnet. The charged powder adheres to the metal then melted by baking at 400F degrees in special industrial sized ovens. The melted resin fuses to the metal, providing a uniform, thick and durable finish. The result is a beautiful glossy finish that is very resistant to chemicals, wear and chipping, 3 times stronger than solvent based paints. Powder coating simply provides a quality finish that can be seen and felt for years.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Nick said:
I hope your shoulder heals up quick. :thumb:

Thanks man! Your bike looks freaking good by the way.

I really want to have the 40's look nice. I havent seen anyone else with custom done lowers on those forks yet.

Does anyone know for sure if I could get the lowers anodized? Does anyone know what they are actually made of? I really would love to have the frame and forks anodized black.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Total Heckler said:
Thanks man! Your bike looks freaking good by the way.

I really want to have the 40's look nice. I havent seen anyone else with custom done lowers on those forks yet.

Does anyone know for sure if I could get the lowers anodized? Does anyone know what they are actually made of? I really would love to have the frame and forks anodized black.
the lowers are mag and I think it's just paint. You can powder mag and the heat process is fine for that. But you will have to strip the fork down to nothing but the shell. No seals, no bushings, no oil, no nothing.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
jimmydean said:
the lowers are mag and I think it's just paint. You can powder mag and the heat process is fine for that. But you will have to strip the fork down to nothing but the shell. No seals, no bushings, no oil, no nothing.
I was pretty sure I would have to do that. I am most likely going to have the fork rebuilt so it would be a perfect time to get it painted. Can you anodize that or am I going to have to stick with paint?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Total Heckler said:
I was pretty sure I would have to do that. I am most likely going to have the fork rebuilt so it would be a perfect time to get it painted. Can you anodize that or am I going to have to stick with paint?
I know jack about ano, sorry.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't annodizing actually etch the surface, in essence removing a super minimal amount of metal rather than layering a coating on top?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Nick said:
someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't annodizing actually etch the surface, in essence removing a super minimal amount of metal rather than layering a coating on top?
I was told it was a form of contamination of the existing surface. Not a removal of material, but an alteration of the existing.

skibum3789

Chimp
Aug 12, 2005
Massachusettes
i really like the tie die grateful dead idea with maybe a phish theme as well. anyone seen anything like this? im considering getting something liek this done over the winter

peace