Quantcast

Painting Rims

MikeStanfill

Chimp
Mar 24, 2008
Alaska
I need some suggestions on how to paint a pair of rims. I have a pair of stock WTB SX-24's, and would like to paint them bright green. How would I do this correctly? What paint do I use? How do I prepare/prime it? I'm really not looking forward to reassembling any wheelsets, because it looks nearly impossible. That being said, will taping off each spoke with masking tape work?

Thanks in advance,

Mike.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2006
North White Plains, NY
I hate to say it, but this is probably a good time for you to learn how to lace a wheelset as well. You'll be able to reuse all your spokes & nipples so at least you've got that going for you. The absolute best bet for painting the wheels is to first, totally de-lace the rim to be painted. Next, you will either need to really scuff up all surfaces which are going to be painted, or better yet have the rim sand-blasted to remove all paint. Next, tape off any brakewall surface and the outside (part facing tire) of the rim. You'll want to tape almost up to the bead on the rim when taping the outside, not just the flat part. Next primer with a primer designed for metal surfaces. Next 1-2 coats will be your paint of choice. Final 1-3 coats will be a sealer, either a regular clear coat for a glossy finish or a specialty top coat (which are widely available) that will give you a matte finish. Be sure to let each coat of paint dry AND harden before moving to the next. It doesn't hurt to also scuff up each layer before moving to the next (after it's hardened for at least 24 hours) with some ultra-fine grit sandpaper or a scotch-brite pad. My only other tips for a good paint outcome, don't go heavier than is needed with the paint and when letting the coats dry, do so in a very dry, ventilated area. And again, let each coat dry and harden THOROUGHLY, at least 24 hours between coats (if using spraypaint) if you want good results that won't chip off easily.

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
Most spraypaint will dry in about 15 minutes, unless you use too much paint. Maybe give an hour to dry in a dry place? Definately don't need to wait a full 24hrs.

DUKESofTAH0E

Monkey
Mar 27, 2006
northstar
you need the full 24 for each coat if you dont want it to chip easly. ya it may dry in 15 minutes but dry and hardend are two totally different things. take the time and do it right and you wont have to do it again.

reptilezs

Chimp
Dec 27, 2007
Arlington, MA
since you dont want to rebuild the wheels, tape off the spokes and brake track. degrease and clean the rims. lightly sand to get the glaze off the rim and to give it some mechanical adhesion. prime and spray. i wait about 20-25 mins between coats so the paint can flash before the next goes on. use light coats if the first coat wont cover thats ok. just do light coats and wait between. you dont want any drips from going heavy