Quantcast

palin is the new oprah

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Sarah Palin nature series ruffling environmentalist feathers
Ms. Palin has her own new nature series, if you haven’t heard. It’s called “Sarah Palin’s Alaska,” and it’s going to air on TLC, formerly known as The Learning Channel. We’re guessing plankton isn’t going to figure much in the plot.

But is Palin actually unfit to host such a show? The environmental group Friends of the Earth thinks so. They sent out a press release recently to that effect.

Her denial that humans contribute to climate change means she’s anti-science, according to Friends of the Earth. They’re mounting a campaign to get TLC’s corporate parent, Discovery Communications, to drop her.

Sure, the firm’s flagship Discovery Channel showcases that new show “Life,” which has Oprah Winfrey narrating glorious shots of frogs that bounce, among other wonders.
if we're lucky, maybe she'll breastfeed a newborn moose on live tv & wink for the camera

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I became a fan on facebook and got a million friend requests from tea baggers.

<edit> I made it to 1:45, does that count?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
no.

this isn't bomberzqr20's candyland

e: wow that was brutal. i think i now have ed & ptsd

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
easily my favorite palin speech, demonstrating her qualifications for narration:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9rkoz_sarah-palin-full-resignation-speech_news

+rep if you watch/listen to all of it.

all of it.
So, I was going to try. Really.

Unfortunately, the 30 seconds of enjoyment I would have gotten out of a +rep would not nearly measure up to the lifetime of anguish I would face if I tore both of my ears off and used them to gouge out my eyes.

I made it to about 3:15 and became despondent and listless. I was barely able to regain enough consciousness to tear the computer's plug out of the wall before all hope was lost.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
easily my favorite palin speech, demonstrating her qualifications for narration:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9rkoz_sarah-palin-full-resignation-speech_news

+rep if you watch/listen to all of it.

all of it.
How far in do you think she went off prompter?

Dude...there's birds f*ckin'...how can I pay attention to incessant blather!!!???

No more politics as usual. How many times can you say that?

A list? A list of "accomplishments" as a resignation speech??!!! Dude...wtf?

4:00 mark right now...

Edit: "We said no to our pay raises." Look at you...I wasn't even offered one when I was employed. You're what I aspire to Sarah.

Edit 2: Uh....scene change?

Oh boy...analogies....there's your strong suit.

Edit 3: Related videos: Richard Nixon

Ahahahahaaaaaa!!!

Ooooo....finger quotes. Powerful.

Can I get an end of a paragraph please?

We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction. Wow. MacArthur FTW.

Dude. For realz. I hadn't listened to 10 seconds of it prior to this. Your gauntlet smells of rotten squid entrails and Namibian bushmen. It's a good thing I like Sierra Nevada...

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I don't know if I should laugh or cry. :twitch:
What truly distinguishes Palin’s speech is its utter subjectivity: that is, she speaks very much from the inside of her head, as someone watching the issues from a considerable distance.

Palinspeak is a flashlight panning over thoughts, rather than thoughts given light via considered expression.

I don’t think Palin’s phraseology is actively attractive to her fans. Rather, what is remarkable is that this way of speaking doesn’t prevent someone, today, from public influence. Candidates bite the dust for being untelegenic, dour, philanderers, strident, or looking silly posing in a tank. But having trouble rubbing a noun and a verb together is not considered a mark against one as a figure of political authority.

Sarah Palin can talk, basically, like a child and be lionized by a robust number of perfectly intelligent people as an avatar of American culture. And linguistically, let’s face it: she is.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
money quote: [Palinspeak is a flashlight panning over thoughts, rather than thoughts given light via considered expression.]
and here's the thing: on paper, i'm likely to be pretty much aligned to a large part of her standings on the big issues. i just believe she should take a lesson from me & stfu. she hit both the jackpot & the ceiling as gov'r, & then someone convinced her she could trade in her miles for the front of the plane. bad move. she's no golda meir, no benazir bhutto, no condi rice.

she's june cleaver on the come-down of 2 lines of sample quality crank. someone needs to cut chatty cathy's string, or stick a boob in her mouth.
jonKranked said:
so, did sarah palin eat oprah?
i'd pay a nickel to watch 1/2 of that

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
FYI, my theory about Palin is she was a low paid civil servant whose husband was more into snowmobile racing than working the oil fields.

So this is her opportunity to rake in the cash.

I can't fault her for taking every media opportunity to open her trap on stuff she knows nothing about. It is a great way to get paid.

I only object to everything she says and stands for.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
FYI, my theory about Palin is she was a low paid civil servant whose husband was more into snowmobile racing than working the oil fields.

So this is her opportunity to rake in the cash.

I can't fault her for taking every media opportunity to open her trap on stuff she knows nothing about. It is a great way to get paid.

I only object to everything she says and stands for.
So says Mr. Wise One...

Since she stepped down as Alaska governor in July 2009, former GOP vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin may have earned upwards of $12 million from television, books, speaking fees and personal appearances. A typical speaking fee, according to a January report in Politico, is $100,000.
Link

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
psht...that's nothing. i hear sean penn is going to get $100M to play trig in the after school special

"you're my MOM-my"

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
At CSU Stan, no less. My mom brought up the event last time I was in town. My dad taught there for 32 years and was a founding faculty member of the drama department. But Turlock is pretty conservative overall, as is much of the valley due to ignorance, but I never thought she would be the 50th anniversary speaker.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Palin appeals to a lot of 'Mericans because she exemplifies what is achievable without a solid education. It's in direct opposition to what many of us have been taught when we were young, you need an education to do well. Palin's "success" proves that this is no longer the case. Instead she has been rewarded with opportunity and a taste of wealth based on her looks and appeal to the lowest common denominator. Way to go 'Merica, keep lowering your expectations.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
^^^ you also just described the viewership of mtv & readership of vibe

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Discovery Channel Insider: Sarah Palin's Show Is "a New All Time Low for Discovery"
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/cenk-uygur/discovery-insider-sarah-p_b_537178.html
Cenk Uygur
Posted: April 14, 2010 11:09 AM

Huffpo said:
Last night on The Young Turks we broke the story of reaction to Sarah Palin's new show inside Discovery. We have an inside source at Discovery Communications and we've been leaked information on Sarah Palin's show for Discovery's TLC network.

Last week Discovery had its annual sales conference for ad buyers for all of its 13 networks. The presentation showcases all of their new shows across the different networks. That night the presentation was on Sarah Palin's Alaska.

Our source says "the whole thing [was] comical." Apparently the ad buyers were not impressed. This Discovery insider said, "When the promo was over, people (employees and buyers) were rolling their eyes, snickering, and even laughing. People were laughing and it's not even a comedy. No one took it seriously."

This person was concerned that given the lack of interest from ad buyers that Discovery would have to dump the show to "a crappy time slot" to cut its losses. They added, "Bottom line everyone thought it was a new all time low for Discovery. My guess is the show is going to tank big time."

Remember Discovery is paying Sarah Palin $250,000 an episode for this series. There are eight episodes, so she will be clearing $2 million for this possible disaster (TLC will be spending between $800,000 to $1.2 million per episode for the whole production). The ratings for her new show on Fox News Channel were already low (she couldn't even hold on to Greta Van Susteren's audience). Imagine how much worse she'll do on TLC where the audience presumably wants to learn something, i.e. the exact opposite of what Sarah Palin is known for. What's next for TLC, George Bush's Ranch?

When are people going to finally realize that just attaching a "big name" to a project doesn't mean it's going to work? The person hosting the show has to have some credibility in the field. I'm not sure Sarah Palin has credibility in any field.

Many people would argue that Palin did great ecological damage to Alaska and would like to do more by drilling all over it. So, getting her to host a show about the natural beauty of Alaska is a bit like getting Jeffrey Dahmer to host a cooking show for the Food Network. Yes, there's a big name attached, but is that the name you really want associated with your brand?

http://www.youtube.com/theyoungturks
I heard the Food Network is going to 1up TLC and get Jeffrey Dahmer to host a cooking show :weee:

Last edited:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Palin appeals to a lot of 'Mericans because she exemplifies what is achievable without a solid education. It's in direct opposition to what many of us have been taught when we were young, you need an education to do well. Palin's "success" proves that this is no longer the case. Instead she has been rewarded with opportunity and a taste of wealth based on her looks and appeal to the lowest common denominator. Way to go 'Merica, keep lowering your expectations.
Well to be fair, she does have a bachelor's degree, if I recall correctly.
But I agree with what you're getting at. I hear people in the south talk about being "simple minded" as a virtue all the time... and being called an "intellectual" is somehow a derogatory statement.

The fact of the matter is, the issues of our day are complex... too complex for many people to understand (not one person here understands them all). And if there is a potential solution that can't fit on a bumper sticker, these people won't even bother hearing it. It's written off just that fast.

This is why nonsense like creationism and climate change denial proliferates among these folks. Jim Bob looks out the window and sees a snowflake and says "Like hell it's warming". Palin is just the type to champion such idiots, because she speaks only in cliches and stupid slogans. That's all these retards understand.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
^^^What bothers me the most is not the fact that some people are just stupid, but willfully choose to not think. Having the capacity to at least make an attempt to understand and not use it baffles me. I don't know if it's cultural conditioning, laziness, or the herd mentality that causes someone to not exercise their free will.

I hope Idiocracy does not turn out to be a documentary.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
^^^What bothers me the most is not the fact that some people are just stupid, but willfully choose to not think. Having the capacity to at least make an attempt to understand and not use it baffles me. I don't know if it's cultural conditioning, laziness, or the herd mentality that causes someone to not exercise their free will.
I had almost this exact conversation with my wife last night. I've been e-arguing with a guy from work who is continues to argue that The President is a Muslim who canceled "National Day of Prayer". I've sent the guy links and news reports that he's obviously not reading because he continues to argue on events the NEVER ACTUALLY FVCKING HAPPENED!!!!! :banghead: What drives me just completely over the edge is the willful, almost combative ignorance. Its almost as if these people wake up in the morning with the intention of not only not learning anything for the day, but to try an unlearn even the basic understanding they have about the issues of the day. They just sit around waiting for AM radio and/or fox news to tell them what to think.

*edit: I :rofl:d at the "moose drool" tag. I owe someone rep.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I've been e-arguing with a guy from work who is continues to argue that The President is a Muslim who canceled "National Day of Prayer". I've sent the guy links and news reports that he's obviously not reading because he continues to argue on events the NEVER ACTUALLY FVCKING HAPPENED!!!!! :banghead: What drives me just completely over the edge is the willful, almost combative ignorance. Its almost as if these people wake up in the morning with the intention of not only not learning anything for the day, but to try an unlearn even the basic understanding they have about the issues of the day. They just sit around waiting for AM radio and/or fox news to tell them what to think.
or as i call it: family time. i don't mind left nutters as much, b/c i didn't marry into to it. this incurable madness, however, is sickening. makes me want to listen to joy division while translating the koran into esperanto (foreword written by jerome corsi)
*edit: I :rofl:d at the "moose drool" tag. I owe someone rep.
guilty, but rather you give rep to some hatian kid

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I seriously think that there is a subset of Americans (usually middle-age and up) who were raised not to search out the truth for themselves, but rather to have an authoritative voice tell them exactly what was going on. Think Walter Cronkite. When he came back from Vietnam and said that the war was unwinnable, it swayed the American populace who's only source of information was newscasters like him and newspapers. Those people are still in that same mindset, where you find out the truth by listening to people you find credible who have researched the news. My mother, whenever we talk politics, tries to claim that she "listens to both sides", meaning 95% of the time she listens to Limbaugh and Fox News, and watches CNN the other 5% of the time. But in her mind "researching" is listening to two different camps argue and picking whichever one resonates with you the most. There is no independent study, there is no delving directly into legislation or Supreme Court arguments, there's ZERO investigating on your own.

The rest of the population (mostly younger generations) know the power of teh Google, and how you can find and research the truth behind ANYTHING. You can read the SEC statement about Goldman Sachs, you can read the Health Care bill (and it's summary), you can turn to independent analysts like factcheck.org who not only do research for you BUT also include the links that they used to come to their conclusion so you can research it for yourself.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
I seriously think that there is a subset of Americans (usually middle-age and up) who were raised not to search out the truth for themselves, but rather to have an authoritative voice tell them exactly what was going on. Think Walter Cronkite. When he came back from Vietnam and said that the war was unwinnable, it swayed the American populace who's only source of information was newscasters like him and newspapers. Those people are still in that same mindset, where you find out the truth by listening to people you find credible who have researched the news. My mother, whenever we talk politics, tries to claim that she "listens to both sides", meaning 95% of the time she listens to Limbaugh and Fox News, and watches CNN the other 5% of the time. But in her mind "researching" is listening to two different camps argue and picking whichever one resonates with you the most. There is no independent study, there is no delving directly into legislation or Supreme Court arguments, there's ZERO investigating on your own.

The rest of the population (mostly younger generations) know the power of teh Google, and how you can find and research the truth behind ANYTHING. You can read the SEC statement about Goldman Sachs, you can read the Health Care bill (and it's summary), you can turn to independent analysts like factcheck.org who not only do research for you BUT also include the links that they used to come to their conclusion so you can research it for yourself.

It's always easier to just jump on the bandwagon than it is to design it, buy materials, build it, take care of the horses, etc, etc, etc.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007

All Right. I sort of buy the argument you make for the old farts, but how do you explain the likes of the people in my age bracket (i'm 31) who grew up with the likes of the interwebz who cant or won't research or fact check? Who aren't in fact even interested in hearing the other side such as your mother does?
guilty, but rather you give rep to some hatian kid
Apparently I'm going to have to, must spread.

Last edited: