Quantcast

Palm Canyon (Palm Springs, CA)

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
-BB-, Wheelieholz (who has posted all of like 3 times), and my non-monkey roommate hit Palm Canyon this weekend, great 28 mile ride that ends near Wheelieholz’s house.

Just some suggestions if you are going to do this ride:
1. Bring a lot of water – include an extra bottle in your camel back if you have to!
2. Sunscreen – some of us were not too smart about our coverage, -BB- seemed fine with spf 40
3. Patches and tubes! We actually made it through without any flats this time, but there are TONS of ways to get a flat on this trail. Last time I had 4…
4. Even though it’s still spring – get an early start, I do not suggest this trail in the summer.
5. Even though it is not super technical, wear something to protect your arms and legs. There are plenty of thorns and cacti to slice you up!

Loading up in the OC under cloudy skies:

Windmills mean we are getting close:

Clouds are burning off … damn there is still snow up there!

Time to load up the shuttle vehicle – bright and sunny:

It’s a shuttle, but it is NOT a DH run by any stretch. We start out off the 74 near the Pinion Pines camp sites, the trails start with some really fun and fast sections with a lot of gradual up and downs.

Then there are some bigger descents and climbs. The bigger descents have switchbacks that are fairly tight and steep at the top, but get more gradual at the bottom. The steep sections take some getting used to:

Local rider

Visiting rider

Standing in the same spot I took the first switchback pictures from, looking left (and down):

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
There are a ton of very long stretches of just ups and downs… miles worth! Total blast since the soil is pretty grippy in these sections

One section that I didn’t stop to take pictures on can only be described as a natural pump track. I didn’t even have to pedal through the entire section, but yet we were not going downhill, in fact I think we might have even gained some elevation. It was fun, fast, and the trails were nice and smooth.

Then we got to the first ‘DH’ portion of the trail – just an old fire road that is rutted on one side, but you can FLY down it if you want. But you gotta be careful b/c sometimes crap seems to just jump out at ya!

Local rider:

oops
Visiting rider:

After this section you get to a sandy wash. Typically the first part is solid, but the section you climb is super soft… on this day that was reversed. It probably took us 20 min of walking to get down what usually takes only 5 min to ride. The entire time I kept asking why they don’t just build a trail OUTSIDE of the wash… keep in mind that it is now midday and the sun is cooking us as we walk.

The climb up was surprisingly solid, and only took about 10 min instead of the usual 30 min push:

After a few more fun ups and downs we were starting to wear out:

The rest of the ride was a climb up to Dunn road (which is an all dirt road that most people climb for the ample amount of fun trails off to the sides). At this point the battery on the camera was fine, but the cameraman’s battery was running out. We still had a couple miles to go just to get to the downhill finish.

The trail was a series of short downs followed by ups that felt much longer. When we finally got to Dunn road all but one guy was out of water, and we decided to skip the highly technical DH run. So we blasted out on the fire road and hit Wheelieholz’s pool.

I kinda wish I had pictures of us at the finish – Burt to crisp and looking like we were about to have heat stroke. I personally lost a bit of blood to several cacti and a couple thorny plants…

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
One of the great things about early spring in the desert is that everything is alive and blooming. It will not look like this for another year:

And a friend we found along the way:

One of the reasons you should wear leg pads:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Great shots!

Have you ridden the Art Smith trail? That's a good'un of a Palm Springs ride...

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
MikeD - Yup.
Art Smith, Cindy Whitehead, Wildhorse, The Goats, and several others.

Wheelieholz lives around the corner fron Dunn road, so whenever I go out there I have a local guide. It's amaizing how many trails are out there...

BurlyShirley - it's going to be 102 there today...

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
splat said:
Nice ! ,, But where are the trees ?
It's the friggen desert! You should check it out sometime, it's amazingly beautiful even though it might be different then the trails you're used to. :thumb: