Quantcast

Palmer's back for good?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I've watched him over the years. He is simply very good at whatever he does. I'd be jealous...but hell, I usually do pretty good at everything I try too :D (except calculus).

Juano

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
my hi-use
Time to chime in and end this thread, once and for all!

Palm is not making a come back. He just planned on racing the DS at SO and that's it. No 4X ( He did do a few practice runs on 4x) or any other jive. He almost did not race the DS cause NORba wanted to charge him the $150 international license fee and he thought it was a joke just for one race. Again to clarify at confusion Plam is not coming back, Just a once time deal unless he changes that but from what I heard, "It ant happening".

And for the Honda gig it was only supposed to be for one race but then it turned in to a three race deal. HE DID NOT BLOW THE HONDA GIG!

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by Juano

And for the Honda gig it was only supposed to be for one race but then it turned in to a three race deal. HE DID NOT BLOW THE HONDA GIG!

I read it was two and he never finished a moto, but whatever. He's still a great athlete in the end.

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
Originally posted by yetirider22
He did race sea otter last year, and beat out Wade Bootes!

Palmer is lame and not committed, he showed up last year and got knocked out first round, same thing this year. Made a big hullabalo about MX , crashed at glen helen I believe and went home.

This sport is too competive to just show up race.

CR

D

Dingus McGee

Originally posted by Msisle Dad
Palmer is lame and not committed, he showed up last year and got knocked out first round, same thing this year. Made a big hullabalo about MX , crashed at glen helen I believe and went home.

CR
"Plam" -AKA- Minishred has nothing to be ashamed about in the world of sport. Do you have a first place Pikes Peak hillclimb trophy on your mantle? Were you one of the first 10 pro snowboarders in the world at age 14? His only public faults are an excess of GM love-ink and booze ego. Hey, that's South Shore stlye, though.:rolleyes:

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Originally posted by Msisle Dad

CR
Allow me to set the record straight...Dales bit of news is all rumor. Palm has never had plans to "comeback". The tues. before Otter he called me to get some cranks and a chain device...he was just then putting his bikes together...no preperation, etc.
I sent him all he needed and he told me he was gonna try and get some practice in before otter. He got his bikes together (a tazer FS bike, and his old hardtail that Leigh D gave him 6 years ago) and came to Lopes' house for some practice, Lopes said he was riding OK, but pussing out a bit on the jumps-but warmed up quick.
Palm showed up for Otter, rode 4X but wasnt feeling it, so just chilled. He rode slalom and looked amazing for someone who doesnt ride much. Bryn took him out first run, but I have to say Bryn stepped it up and rode better than I ever saw, I think those were Bryn's runs of a lifetime. Palm was out early and was pissed.

He is not making a comeback, never had plans to. He loves slalom, that is his true love in MTBing, He told me he may race another slalom this season but in no way will he plan, prepare, train for them.

And thats the real deal from the horses mouth.

Oh, someone mentioned earlier in this thread that this sport is TOO competitive to not ride/train, and just show up and race....well I agree for the Mens class, but not the womens (sad) case in point, my lovely lady Leigh Donovan works 60 hours a week at her business, has ridden her XC bike about 10 times since sea otter 03', hasnt ridden a DH or slalom bike SINCE the otter last year and she finished 4th overall in the gravity omnium!!! WITHOUT racing the mountain cross!! (because she was so sore after doing slalom and DH).

Leigh was 2nd qualifier in slalom, 5th qualifier in 4X, and placed 5th in DH (only 3 seconds off a very fit Marla Streb)...I am still amazed how sad that is that leigh did as well as she did, but this was the very last time she will race the otter-with so many chicks complaining AND protesting that she was "stealing" points and prize money, she will just watch next time...she did give her prize money to semi-privateer Anneke Berten though (the girl that beat her in slalom, and finished behind her in the overall) which was pretty cool I thought.

Chicks racing is in a sad state of affairs man, perhaps we can get Palm to get a sex change to bring some much needed life into that dying discipline.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Stik,

Again, I think the temp is dipping in the depths of hell because I agree with you again.

Let me qualify what I am about to say with the following. I do not have a misogynistic bone in my body. I am all for T-9 (provided it dosent take opportunities away from other atheletes). And I think that women can and should, with very few exceptions (Navy SEALS for instance) be able to do anything that men can do. In fact, two of the best pilots I ever flew with in the CG were women. That said......

Watched pro practice in the DH and the pro DS quals and was roundly unimpressed. Ladies, please. If you cannot jump you should not be racing pro.
I heard many say that the jumps were too big for women. Now wait, the 12 year old boys in Junior Olympic were hitting them on bikes that equal 50% or more of their body weight. Are you saying that an adult woman can't muster the power to hit the same jump? Nothing on any of those courses required a high level of physical power. Just proper technique.

I really want to see women do well in this sport. I dig women's sports. I'd rather watch womens soccer than mens any time. I love watching women's tennis. I don't watch golf, but you can't deny that Michelle Wi and Annika Sorenstamm are amazing (though not on par with the men) atheletes. I just think that some women should stay in ex a bit longer, and that NORBA should be a little more stingy with the pro cards.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Originally posted by Damn True
I love watching women's tennis."
Ha, LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Ok, had to get that out. : )
"I just think that some women should stay in ex a bit longer, and that NORBA should be a little more stingy with the pro cards.
I think the same should be said for douchebag dudes who somehow have pulled a semi-pro license out of their azz that Copperfield would be proud of. These dudes think if they can trick Norba into upgrading them, then it will automatically give them the speed they need to compete.
This is especially true for the guys in the Masters 80-84 class who got a top 3 out of 4 and upgrade to semi.

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
True and Stik

Funny you bring this up. Myself and one of my teammates had this exact discussion driving from SO. I too believe in T9 and all its merits BUT after watching/racing the events this weekend it really hit home the current status of the womens DH/4x/DS scene.

The simple fact is this, you don't see womens moto races the same day you see mens moto (if at all), you don't see PGA touring with the LPGA etc etc. As far as spectating went it seemed that watching the women compete after the men took away a lot of the energy the crowd was building up.

True-- I agree with you in that they need to be stingier with the pro cards but they already had a small number of women out there competing in pro anyway, (16 or something in both mtnx and DS vs 60+ in pro and 40+ in SP) so if you did, the class would be comprised of virtually no one.

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to take away anything from the ACs or Tarra Llanes or Leigh Donovans of the group, they rip. It just seems that a few women need to step it up and begin to progress their niche of the sport again...

Leanna---I think you can be the next AC....you rip...just don't fall into the trap a lot of other women in the sport seem to fall into and end up being content where you are...like i said, no reason you can't rip like AC

I've tried to word the best I can...it still sounds sexist as hell...this was not my intentions, merly agreeing w/stik and true, women, if anything, do much of life much better then men...so don't get me wrong here.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Step it up indeed...if I sound sexist-so be it, not my intention. I have seen what the chicks can do-and when the majority of the field is off the hook, its amazing to watch, but that word has become "minority" and I dont know why. Probably has to do with the fact that if you are winning races these days you still are only gonna make 20-30k a year, which is pathetic...then there is total scams like Niki Gudex who are truly HORRIBLE at racing, (she placed 48th out of 50 this weekend) but is signing deals left and right because she takes great anorexic photos that only a fashion mag would admire-therefore stealing rides from true talents like Tai Lee Muxlow etc...who just want some free bikes and a pit to work out of.
Hell, the company I work for is too blame as well, I tried so f-ing hard to get them to sign 1 or 2 of 4 women I recommended, and they didnt sign any of them.
I did see a couple new faces in the pro womens class this weekend, and they were so terrible it was sad. They didnt even posess BASIC bicycle skills, let alone riding skills.
Some tell me "its the fault of the pros, they dont try to encourage women to get involved" BULL****, Leigh tried to get the bike industry involved in putting on her skills clinics and few to none were even interested-and no, she wasnt looking for a goldmine. So she did them, and only a handful would show up.
It is fact more women are riding bikes than ever, but RACING is a whole other story, which is awesome that chicks are hitting the trails in record numbers, just kinda sad that the days of watching dozens of chicks do rad sh!t at the races is coming to an end.

sorry for straying off the Palmer thread....he still isnt coming back! haha

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by Damn True
Stik,

Again, I think the temp is dipping in the depths of hell because I agree with you again.

Let me qualify what I am about to say with the following. I do not have a misogynistic bone in my body. I am all for T-9 (provided it dosent take opportunities away from other atheletes). And I think that women can and should, with very few exceptions (Navy SEALS for instance) be able to do anything that men can do. In fact, two of the best pilots I ever flew with in the CG were women. That said......

I think that they should obviously have the same opportunities, but if they dont "cut the mustard", I am very strongly against lowering standards. I saw this happen big time after I went through basic training. A few years after I did, they started a womens basic-training course at my base. Boy...things changed, things changed big time, as far as standards, behavior, etc...

Women are the weaker sex, it's just the way that nature is. There are some women that stand head and toes above the rest, but when it comes down to it, in competative sports, they are just never going to be on the same level as men, at least when talking about "average" men and women that are in shape.

Take the pro, melissa-whateverlastname(sorry!). KHS pro..(not sure if she is still riding for KHS). We rode with her, and it was easily(relative word, not that we were riding "easy", but that it was within my ability) keeping up on my 5" travel saber down some ultra-nasty stuff. I'm not the best rider in the world, but all this talk about "we were going to ride with a pro rider" and it was kind of dissapointing because she was not very fast. I can keep up with ssaddict on a good day when all of my mojo is working well, and I have the energy to do so, but it usually doesn't last long (not a whole run for sure!) and something always goes critically wrong when I ride like that (some people call it out of control). I have a lot of respect for him, but when I ride with these different people, the "gap" is very apparent. Kudos to all the women out there that ride, we definitly need more in our lopsided sport, but there's always going to be a "gap" there, in nearly every sport.

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
Chicks racing is in a sad state of affairs man, perhaps we can get Palm to get a sex change to bring some much needed life into that dying discipline. [/B][/QUOTE]

Stik, If Palmer had the change Leigh would have beat him. She knows how to compete.

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
look at anna kornikova,shes hot and doesnt resemble most tennis pro women,but makes addidas $. ahh ,the root of all evils.Mux totally rips and i'd never wanna race that chick,but,i also couldn't see her as a campaign poster child for womens MTB,she'd scare the bejesesus out of the girls in the bathroom.Maybe norba is just desperate for bodies in the womens proclass,last year i saw some absolutly sad bike skills by some of the back of the packers, i'm suprised they havent had any steamrolled out there practicing with pro men. BTW bring back Palmer !! we need a charismatic American to outdo that french guy.

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
Originally posted by Ctfphotos
Not really. DR won the Otter MX and never rode a MTB before the event. Our sport is still fledgling compared to MX and BMX.
Donny Robinson?
DR is a top BMX/Cruiser racer- MTX is BMX 26"wheels It's much different than someone who dusts off his bike once a year.

Palmer is a talented athlete. Having him show up for an event is interesting. But I'm into watching racers who are committed. Saying that if palmer did well I would be happy for him.

Congrats to Turpin & Dechamp Semi Pro winner & finalist in DS

That was great racing

CR

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
Originally posted by stiksandstones
...then there is total scams like Niki Gudex who are truly HORRIBLE at racing, (she placed 48th out of 50 this weekend) but is signing deals left and right because she takes great anorexic photos that only a fashion mag would admire-therefore stealing rides from true talents like Tai Lee Muxlow etc...who just want some free bikes and a pit to work out of.
Word. All power to Niki Gudex for getting herself a factory deal but she doesn't 'deserve' it. Niki is eye candy and gets coverage for our sport when she gets her gear off in Ralph or FHM magazine but for all intents and purposes she's a pack-filling rider in any world class field, be it XC or DH. Muxlow on the other hand rips **** up and is genuinely competitive in both gravity disciplines at the World Cup level and yet struggles to get any sort of a deal.

Just quietly, I've got 2 words for you, "Tracey Hannah". Mick Hannah's kid sister is a BMX ripper, 16 years old and well, results like these from the '04 Australian Championships speak for themselves;

Womens DH
1. Sabrina Jonnier 3:09.64
2. Fionn Griffith 3:13.59
3. Tracey Hannah 3:14.92