Quantcast

Palmers Olympic chances

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Palmers Olympic chances are certainly not a sealed deal. There are 10 US athletes battleing for 4 spots and with 2 WC events on the books, Palmer has finished 19th (behind 2 US athletes) and 15th (behind 3 US athletes). I believe there is only one more WC, scheduled for Quebec, prior to the olympics and supposedly 2 spots have been secured currently.

It seems things look good for a trip to Vancouver, but it certainly doesn't seem to promising for a podium visit...but it is Palmer so you can never count him out. Let's hope he does well in Quebec!

http://www.fissnowboard.com/uk/venues/calendar-archive.html

Last edited:

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
Palmer is an amazing athlete and definately a big figure in boardercross but I think Nate Holland is on track for competing for the US. I don't remember who else is in the mix but I'd be happy and surprised to see Palmer come out on top.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
In palmers words "I have been hauling ass, just had the worst luck" One more world cup chance and longshot chance at Xgames. I, like many are so wishing he gets to live the olympic dream.

VMARTINEZ

Monkey
May 23, 2005
Thats Palmer and my Bro Jeff Archibald. He is the head coach for US Snobarding. Both great athletes. Jeff use to be a top GS and DH snowboard racer. He has helped US Snowboarding have so many great BX Racer's.
Rad.
VM

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I hope the best athlete's at the time of the olympics get chosen to represent the USA.

And I hope Palmer is one of the best at that time.
To heck with that. Palmer as beneficiary of a pile up in the first turn to get the automatic bid.

Then chaotic Olympic finale involving a naked Napalm with sparklers, smoke bombs and a stolen Moose head!:weee:

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
If he is in the finals then I would say yes he's in for Vancouver. Again, there are 4 spots for the SBX on the US team, 2 are secured and Palm has been top 4 for the US in all events so far. If he is in the finals, this will be his best WC finish of the season and I think it would take some political BS to keep him out...again, it's the olympics so I wouldn't count that out either.

EDIT: I thought the finals were THE finals, you were refering to the final rounds, so it seems that it is still up in the air.

Last edited:

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Original link has him listed with a 3rd place finish! He finished one place behind another US athlete who already had a secured spot for Vancouver. I would say this seals the deal, he is one of three people who have been on the podium this season, way to go!

Palmer in the olympics...ha, ha who would have thunk it!

(hopefully I'm not jumping the gun)

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
dude this thread made me actually excited for the Olympics, I just gotta root for the dude...he is one of the things that made me super stoked on mtb riding when i was first getting into it.

samdemo

Chimp
Aug 8, 2007
seeing how palmer has more dirt experience then the others....he should have an edge over them.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
^Haha......that can't be what cypress looks like right now.........is it?
Grouse, Cypress and Seymour all look like this. You can see Grouse from the highway, and it's mostly green.

I live on Seymour, it's as green as green can be. In fact, the DH trails are in pretty mint shape right now.

Cypress closed weeks ahead of schedule to the public so they could tarp areas of the mountain to use the snow later to cover the venues up there. It's pretty bad. It has been high 40s to high 50s for the last 2 weeks.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
I live on Seymour, it's as green as green can be. In fact, the DH trails are in pretty mint shape right now.
i was under the impression you were an eastern boy. how long you been out here?

and yeah, unlike last year when the trails were buried for 3 months, the riding on the shore has been great this winter.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Wow, that is an issue, they need at least 1 foot to be able to set gates.. never mind what is involved with a Snowcross course.

When I was in Japan in '98 I was told they lined the course with plastic water bottles before blowing snow over the top to increase coverage and limit issues with rocks. The course was pretty solid, so if it was true, it worked. Crazy Japanese...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
sounds like they're going to build up the course w/ straw & wood (three little pigs?!) then cover with a veneer of snow. interesting.

re: palmer - read here that palmer didn't make the team:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5gJo5LHMHBQoVS_uF-HHuGNtch3iA
Same news here:
http://www.utahskier.net/utah_skier/2010/01/snowboarder-graham-watanabe-locks-up-spot-on-olympic-team-122-10.html

The irony of the article is that the only reason he got to be on the 2006 team was because Palmer was injured. Read the last paragraph. That SUCKS!!! He should have taken a fricking dive for Palmer or just stopped dead and let him have it! That would have been one heck of a thank you for his '06 spot.

On a related note, another US snowboarder is out of the Olympic park comp because an accident involving a quad of all things. So, there may yet be time for snowboard cross rider to slip in a parking lot. No shame in being an alternate!!!:thumb:

gav_dub100

Chimp
Aug 26, 2009
Dublin
SBX Men
Nick Baumgartner, Iron River, MI, 28, 12/17/1981
Nate Holland, Squaw Valley, CA, 31, 11/8/1978 (2006)
Graham Watanabe, Sun Valley, ID, 27, 03/19/1982 (2006)
Seth Wescott, Sugarloaf, ME, 33, 06/28/1976 (2006)

Found the above here:
http://skiing.teamusa.org/news/2010/01/25/u-s-olympic-snowboarding-team-announced/31049?ngb_id=30

Gutted for Palm, but at least it looks like it was done on merit as it was the top 4 in the world cup standings that got on the team.

http://www.fissnowboard.com/uk/leader-board.html?discipline=SBX&count=15

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
South Lake Tahoe snowboarding pioneer Shaun Palmer's quest to participate in the Olympic Games at age 41 was denied when the team awarded Baumgartner the final snowboardcross spot.

2010 U.S. OLYMPIC SNOWBOARDING TEAM
(name, hometown, age as of opening ceremonies, birthdate, (past Olympics))

SBX Men

Nick Baumgartner, Iron River, Mich., 28, 12/17/1981

Nate Holland, Squaw Valley, 31, 11/8/1978 (2006)

Graham Watanabe, Sun Valley, Idaho, 27, 03/19/1982 (2006)

Seth Wescott, Sugarloaf, Maine, 33, 06/28/1976 (2006)

source: www.PalmerProject.com

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
Didn't anyone notice he finished dead last in his X-games heat? he wasn't even close.

I know he was one of the best in the sport, and brought alot of exposure to Downhill biking. I would hate to seem Palmer do what Bill Johnson did to himself because he can't accept that he's old. Johnson is lucky to be alive and now has the mental faculties of an 8 year old.

Palmer should retire and work on being a good role model and ambassador to gravity sports.