Quantcast

pan-roasted fish

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
lately i've been all about this...preheat oven to 350F or so, get a nice thick steak (have used halibut and striped bass mainly), season it w/ salt and pepper both sides, maybe sneak in some coriander or cumin, heat a pan, add oil, put the fish in and cook for ~ 5 minutes depending on thickness, then throw in the oven and finish cooking while you do the veggies. last night's veggies was stir-fried bok choy w/ garlic, ginger and soy. added in steamed broccoli and some oyster sauce towards the end. take the fish out of the oven, serve at once.

delicious.

this would also work well for tuna, salmon, patagonian toothfish, pretty much any firm-fleshed fish steak or fillet. depending on the thickness, you could flip the steak, you could flip the steak while still on the burner.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Yeah I like that technique for lots of meat, not just fish. If you like a really hot sear like me, it's good to put the meat into a separate pan for the roasting part - otherwise the really hot pan continues to sear the meat in the oven. That also lets you work with the pan drippings for a sauce...hells yeah...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
OGRipper said:
Yeah I like that technique for lots of meat, not just fish. If you like a really hot sear like me, it's good to put the meat into a separate pan for the roasting part - otherwise the really hot pan continues to sear the meat in the oven. That also lets you work with the pan drippings for a sauce...hells yeah...
definitely, esp if you are doing pork or beef. i dig the reduced pan sauces. :drool:

SS, i had a chard w/ the striper, and a lonely Leffe w/ the halibut.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I've been making a little seasoning of paprika, dill weed, salt and pepper and just sprinkling that on the fish. YUMMY!!!!!!!!!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
MMcG said:
Damn some of you guys eat so damned well. The other night I had two bowls of Honey Bunches of Oats for my dinner. :(
mark, just get started and build yr confidence. another thing you could do is to see if there are any adult ed classes in yr area which are cooking-related. nothing like hands-on instruction. i took a class a couple years ago and it was a good experience.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Yeah it's funny how some people are afraid to try to cook (not saying you are MMcG). I mean most of us are lucky enough to get two or three solid meals a day, so if you experiment and it doesn't work out, well shoot, you'll eat again pretty soon. If it's something you've always wanted to do, just jump in. A few basic techniques go a long way and before you know it you'll have pretty good chops.