Quantcast

Paper clips check in, but they don't check out.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I take them off of stuff all the time, but never attach them to anything. Now I have a pile of them on my desk, and it gets bigger daily. I don't know where they come from, and it seems wasteful to throw them away.

#cubiclepeopleproblems

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I use them. Often. I have OCD. If I have a boatload of drawings/bill of materials clipped together, have them signed off and get them back as a big jumbled, unclipped mess, I get irritated.

People here often give me light-hearted **** about it, but guess who's generally the only one who knows where the hell everything is all the time, as to not have to re-do/re-print work and waste time?

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
I am the source of where they come from. Practically every piece of paper that comes to my desk has to be scanned, so I never use the stapler, and if paper comes stapled, it ends up paper clipped. I'd happily take back all of those now, I am running out.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I am the source of where they come from. Practically every piece of paper that comes to my desk has to be scanned, so I never use the stapler, and if paper comes stapled, it ends up paper clipped. I'd happily take back all of those now, I am running out.
give me an address to send them to.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Start putting them on stuff you send out, 2 or more at a time. before you know it, you will be all out. Pay it forward.

kidwithbike

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
After I broke my wrist I was punished by compiling all the hardcopies of inspection reports for the entire World Trade Center site. I went through 1200 papers clips in 2 days pretty much one handed. It was beyond awful.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Use them for illustrating a catenary curve, which is the cosine hyperbolicus function (cosh), that can also be expressed as a sum of two exponential functions. Paper clips are very effective at illustrating the difference between a catenary curve and a parabola. I would have never passed physics if it hadn't been for my Tutors paper clip illustrations.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Ed McNally hated staplers. He lost his job at EF Hutton because of Staplers. He threw it through his office door window, glass went everywhere. Ironically he was an early investor in Staples.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Use them for illustrating a catenary curve, which is the cosine hyperbolicus function (cosh), that can also be expressed as a sum of two exponential functions. Paper clips are very effective at illustrating the difference between a catenary curve and a parabola. I would have never passed physics if it hadn't been for my Tutors paper clip illustrations.
I found this hilarious, I need to get a life.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Funny that this thread's title has a paperclip icon (attachment) associated with it.
Someday you will be in the awkward position of facing impending incarceration and wish you hadn't mocked the humble paper clip. Ever wonder why Levis have the little sub pocket on the right side? Its the paper clip pocket and cops never look in there....

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Send your surplus paper clips to Lee Bergeron so he has something to give his children for Christmas.

(And save a few to unbend, make strained triangles, and bounce off a desk.)