Quantcast

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
Am I the only one who gets a little upset when there is a woman out jogging in the forest alone? I always start thinking about the freaks that lurk out there. Every few months there is another notice posted about some attempted rape or assault on some of the local trails.

Yesterday I was riding in a small park where lots of people feel safe to be out alone. I passed this big 6' 4" guy with a beard and hooded sweatshirt with the hood pulled down low. He didn't respond when I greeted him so I just kept going. I saw him on another trail about half an hour later. Then I passed a woman walking with her baby and small dog. I started thinking "What if that guy has a knife and he attacks that lady and her baby?" So I turned around and caught up to her to "warn" her. She thanked me and so did three other solo women who I passed on the trail. They all turned around and headed back toward the parking lot.

Am I too paranoid? I tell my wife and sister and female friends not to go out there alone. I have seen too many creepy looking guys out there.

CurbJumper

Turbo Monkey
Aug 31, 2010
Central FL
I didn't respond because I didn't want you to blow my cover. Thanks for the cockblock.

But seriously, I feel the same way when my gal wants to go out somewhere new by herself. Too many crazies out there.

mudgirl

Molester of monkeys
Jun 8, 2007
Tied up in the basement
You are too paranoid. If I had to wait to round up someone (or someones) every time I wanted to ride, I would never be able to ride. And sometimes, I just like to be alone--no one to wait up for, I can go whatever the heck route I want, and I can enjoy the silence. I only had one slightly scary experience when a bunch of rednecks were shouting lewd things at me when I had come off the trails a bit and was riding down a dirt road, but I ignored them and they kept on their way. I still believe that *most* people are good and do not set out to harm others, and I'm not going to let that small minority who are fuk'd in the head scare me into staying home.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
A Cheap holiday in other peoples misery!

I don't wanna holiday in the sun
I wanna go to new Belsen
I wanna see some history
'Cause now i got a reasonable economy

Now I got a reason, now I got a reason
Now I got a reason and I'm still waiting
Now I got a reason
Now I got reason to be waiting
The Berlin Wall

Sensurround sound in a two inch wall
Well I was waiting for the communist call
I didn't ask for sunshine and I got World War three
I'm looking over the wall and they're looking at me

Now I got a reason, Now I got a reason
Now I got a reason and I'm still waiting
Now I got a reason,
Now I got a reason to be waiting
The Berlin Wall

Well they're staring all night and
They're staring all day
I had no reason to be here at all
But now i gotta reason it's no real reason
And I'm waiting at the Berlin Wall

Gotta go over the Berlin Wall
I don't understand it....
I gotta go over the wall
I don't understand this bit at all....

Claustrophobia there's too much paranoia
There's too many closets I went in before
And now I gotta reason,
It's no real reason to be waiting
The Berlin Wall

Gotta go over the Berlin Wall
I don't understand it....
I gotta go over the wall
I don't understand this bit at all...

Please don't be waiting for me

mudgirl

Molester of monkeys
Jun 8, 2007
Tied up in the basement
BTW, with all that said, when I do go out alone, I always tell someone where I'm going and how long I expect to be out. I'm actually way more afraid of injuring *myself* through some freak accident than someone else harming me, though.

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
BTW, with all that said, when I do go out alone, I always tell someone where I'm going and how long I expect to be out. I'm actually way more afraid of injuring *myself* through some freak accident than someone else harming me, though.
I think you are considerably safer when you're on wheels.

It's entirely possible that the guy was just out for a walk, but he looked like the unabomber's scarier big brother. He was not wearing headphones. His hood was off the second time I saw him.

I know I'm paranoid, but there have been multiple attempted rapes on trails in the area, so I think it's justified. All four women that I talked to thanked me and headed back to the more populated part of the park. I felt better about notifying them than just leaving it.

Anyway...Black Sabbath. Once I heard that song come on when I was in Safeway.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
I think it's a good thing to follow your gut feeling about things like this sometimes. I say good on ya for giving those women a heads up. Ever watch the show "I survived"? There are a lot of f'd up people out there that do crazy sh*t to random people.

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
curious what park you were at in SC? i see tweakers and creepers everywhere, especially when i ride along the river from UC back to my house on 7th. can't even count how many drug deals, hooker deals, and people shooting up or smoking crack i have seen. it definitely gets my spider sense going. i'm always amazed when i see some solo chick out there 3 albums deep into her workout completely oblivious to her surroundings (its amazing how close you can get before they even notice you).

and yes, there are some whacked out people straight up living off the land (and whatever drugs they can cook up) out in the woods here. i think a lot of people live in ignorance, and its easy to call someone else paranoid if you've never seen the forest for the trees.

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
curious what park you were at in SC?
De LaVeaga. Usually considered a safe place.
When I'm riding the U-Conn or the tracks and I see solo women, I have to wonder if they have ever read the news.

i'm always amazed when i see some solo chick out there 3 albums deep into her workout completely oblivious to her surroundings (its amazing how close you can get before they even notice you).
Ipod oblivion. That drives me crazy.