Quantcast

Parental rant

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
About two weeks ago, we put our daughter in a "big girl" bed. Things have been pretty good. She's always been a great sleeper. We've been able to put her down while still awake since she was about 9 or 10 mos old. And of course in a crib, she was captive. But today she has discovered that can actually get out of bed if she wants to. So we are currently (a I type this) wrestling with her to stay in bed for her nap. It's been and hour. Still not getting any closer. This is going to kill her whole afternoon....

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Kids are the best, just remember when you were a kid, and if you can't...just sit and think about what it is that is keeping her from doing what's good for her. I have found that my boys age 3 and 5 do not need naps. In fact if they nap they will be up until 11pm. Just be sensitive to what is going on in her day and go accordingly. if it's about principle, behaving, etc. then she needs discipline. If it's just trying something new then work with her.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
So the theory goes, you should move them into a bed before they climb out and hurt themselves. Em was *THIS* close to being able to get out. She was able to get a leg up and over. She never actually went for the full escape though.

DaKahuna

Chimp
Jul 27, 2003
Lake Elsinore, CA
MMike said:
This is going to kill her whole afternoon....
It's all about consistency up front! These types of issues WILL kill some afternoons, and some mornings and some evenings ;) . But sticking it out through her challenges and proving to her that she won't win, and that there are negative consequences for disobedience, will train her quickly and will win her obedience. It is labor-intensive at the font end, but is MUCH easier for EVERYONE in the long run. But only if you do things calmly and consistently the same way each time.

I have been learning these things first hand for a year now while staying home with my fiance's son since I am on disability from an accident - the femur thing....
It works! Everyone comments on what a great kid he is.
Daddy Day Care - OUT!
Good Luck.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
MMike said:
So the theory goes, you should move them into a bed before they climb out and hurt themselves. Em was *THIS* close to being able to get out. She was able to get a leg up and over. She never actually went for the full escape though.
Did you drop the mattress all the way down in the crib? I'm lucky so far my 2 year old hasn't figured out how to escape, then again my son never figured it out either.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
:knock on wood: My daughter moved over from her crib to a bed about a year ago, and has never gotten out. In fact, if you put a blanket on the floor and she falls asleep on it, she won't get off it until you say it's ok for her to get up. How cool is that! Of course we've got baby #2 coming in Jan. so it could be a whole different ballgame!

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
MMike said:
you can get theses sleepers (pjs) that are "bags" no legs, they size them up for large toddlers. There's no way they can climb out of a crib wearing them. My sis was able to confine her kids for quite some time.

geargrrl

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
geargrrl said:
you can get theses sleepers (pjs) that are "bags" no legs, they size them up for large toddlers. There's no way they can climb out of a crib wearing them. My sis was able to confine her kids for quite some time.

geargrrl
HAHA! Kinda like a straight jacket for kids!

Just give her some codeine cough syrup a half hour or so before you want her to lay down...

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Our next hurdle with Noah will be potty training and the "big boy" bed. He's really been "a man" about the teething thing, I know there are days he's suffering but he does an awesome job of keeping it together for the most part, until of course mom comes home, then he needs his mom time.

He pretty persistant little bugger, so I'm afraid if he doesn't want to go in the potty, this could be our first big test of wills. As for the bed who knows.......

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Andyman_1970 said:
<snip>
He pretty persistant little bugger, so I'm afraid if he doesn't want to go in the potty, this could be our first big test of wills. As for the bed who knows.......
Don't sweat it, man - if he's ready to stop $hitting in his britches, he'll just do it.

Don't make it a battle of wills. Save that for the food. :p