Quantcast

parents hate me biking

tmoney727t

Monkey
Feb 22, 2005
Madison, CT
My parents yell at me, "Get your liscense, you are so lazy"
I yell back," I can get my ****in liscense but you're making me take those lame ass driving classes"
She yells, "I'm not gonna drive you anywhere until you get you liscense"
this was when I was planning a trip to go downhilling at Diablo for a weekend of fun. My mom has said that she does not support any sort of freeride or downhill biking hterefore she will not take me to my favorite freeride spot that is a ten minute car ride, or to my friends house where he would give me a ride to the mountain.
I was just wondering if anyone out there shares the same type of super worried mother that I have. Also one that punishes you becuase she is too lazy to drive you places. I love biking, but both my parents hate me doing it. They support me playing lacrosse goalie, freeride skiing, playing football, and 420 sailing. They however think that DH biking is a serious risk to my health. So i could fall in a rock garden. IN lacrosse if somebody shoots on me and hits me in the heart, there is a chance my heart could explode. football is the obvious concussion. in sailing there is a whole list of things that could go wrong, getting stuck under the boat in a trapeze harness, head hitting boom, many ways to cut up legs, swinging aorund bow while on trapeze and having the boat capsize on top of you and the list goes on.

Im sorry for giving everyone my life story, but I am bored and was supposed to be going Dhing tomorrow. I just need to know who else out there is in my situation. If you are not in my situation just humor me and make me feel beter.
thanks,
tom mckeon

P.S.
I am not usually that mean to my mom as written in the dialogue.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Tricky one. If you show your Mom how dangerous the other sports actually are, you might end up locked in your room. Maybe you an show her with Stats. Anybody got any sports injury stats?

J

JRB

tmoney727t said:
<snip>She yells, "I'm not gonna drive you anywhere until you get you license"
I fixed license for you, but I take issue with your mom. If you get your license, why would she then take you to ride??? It seems contrary. I mean, drive you until you can drive yourself, and then get uppity if you ask for a ride later. I am just really confused.

face

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
northern utah
tmoney727t said:
IN lacrosse if somebody shoots on me and hits me in the heart, there is a chance my heart could explode.
that an excellent point it happened to my friend who played goalie rest in peace spencer :dead:

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
loco said:
I fixed license for you, but I take issue with your mom. If you get your license, why would she then take you to ride??? It seems contrary. I mean, drive you until you can drive yourself, and then get uppity if you ask for a ride later. I am just really confused.
She is not going to drive him anywhere up until the time he gets his license. So he is without a ride for now.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Meh, My parents aren't thrilled when I come home with an ankle the size of a softball, but they realize there are much worse things I could be doing

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
i'v done the whole extreme sports thing for years, and my parents were equally hesitant about whitewater paddling, climbing, and mtb. all these sports are entirely about judgement. when to walk and went to let go of the brakes. you need to explain to the folks that it's not just senseless risk taking for the hell of it, its about figuring out what your limits are and then slowly expanding them.

and dont mention the adrenaline rush cause it'll scare them.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
i have a similar situation, but hey i'm moving out in january so, :D , but what i say when my mom got on my case about that, and said it was dangerous just reply, so is walking out the front door. also claim you are emotionally unstable and downhilling is your output on your negative thoughts, more dh = less emotional distress. she can't argue with that. a similar thing happened to me about 2 years ago, i had just healed up my back and was susposed to go up to snowshoe which i had been planning for like two months, well she decided she wasn't going to take me, well before i tell you what i did, remember that i have 5 older brothers that taught me every prank in the book, she went out to go to work, @ 5:00 in the morning, and her car had about 3 cap nails under each tire, she got in the car and put it in reverse. I got up an hour early just to see the show, my mom usually didn't cuss, but wheewie there was a sailor out there, well i'm not saying to do that but, you get the point,actually, something i've wanted to try, find someone who has like a stuffed bear that someone shot and killed,(not a teddy bear, an actual bear) and pull it into your moms room while she is sleeping, and leave it right there at her bed side, :D :D :D :D . i was saving that one for this years april fools but go ahead take it.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
just ride your bike to your friends house who will give you a ride, or learn to drive, or don't do anything...its really all up to you. Its funny I was pushed to learn how to drive because I wanted to ride places that were further away...so I guess I was sick of riding my bike everywhere, so I learned to drive, so I could go ride my bike? Oh plus the fact bumming rides sucks.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
try to explain that it is something that intrests you and that you are taking any necessary precations to remain safe..such as protective gear. also mention that in the long run its good for you.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Waa waa waa

ride you bike the 10 minutes, make some friends that can drive, take a bus, take a cab..........plenty of options that dont involve mommy

why are kids these days so dependant on mommy & daddy to do everything for them??

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
tmoney727t said:
I yell back," I can get my ****in liscense but you're making me take those lame ass driving classes"
this was when I was planning a trip to go downhilling at Diablo for a weekend of fun. My mom has said that she does not support any sort of freeride or downhill biking hterefore she will not take me to my favorite freeride spot that is a ten minute car ride, or to my friends house where he would give me a ride to the mountain.
I was just wondering if anyone out there shares the same type of super worried mother that I have. Also one that punishes you becuase she is too lazy to drive you places. I love biking, but both my parents hate me doing it. They support me playing lacrosse goalie, freeride skiing, playing football, and 420 sailing. They however think that DH biking is a serious risk to my health. So i could fall in a rock garden. IN lacrosse if somebody shoots on me and hits me in the heart, there is a chance my heart could explode. football is the obvious concussion. in sailing there is a whole list of things that could go wrong, getting stuck under the boat in a trapeze harness, head hitting boom, many ways to cut up legs, swinging aorund bow while on trapeze and having the boat capsize on top of you and the list goes on.

Im sorry for giving everyone my life story, but I am bored and was supposed to be going Dhing tomorrow. I just need to know who else out there is in my situation. If you are not in my situation just humor me and make me feel beter.
thanks,
tom mckeon

P.S.
I’m sure that I’ll catch some crap for this, first let me start by saying don’t take this personal. I can remember dealing with the same kind of stuff with my mom when I was younger.

It seems your parents want you to get your license, think about how many kids out there who’s have parents don’t want them to have a license. Next, just take the damn classes your already at a risk of wrecking just because you are a new driver. Sure the classes are a bit of an inconvenience but they are something small that your parents want you to do for them. I’m sure you will find that if you give a little to them you will receive the same in return.

As for swearing at your parents well personal I would have laid one right across your face but that’s just me. Your parents should receive more respect then that.

Take the classes, get your license and drive yourself to your favorite riding spots.

If nothing else you sound like a solid little kid that is having a temper tantrum because he isn’t getting his way. So grow up.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
tmoney727t said:

thanks,
tom mckeon

P.S.

Jesus H. Christ man, what'd you expect???

You're 35 years old!!!

bmorekirby

Chimp
Jul 25, 2004
parents will always worry about thier kids. i'm 23, and i have a laundry list of injuries. thats mainly what they are worried about i guess. but one question. do they have a problem with any of your riding buddies? could that have anything to do with it?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
a ten minute car ride can sometimes be a 30 minute bike ride...

boo freakin hoo.. ride your bike. and kill your parents so we can read about it on cnn.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I think it's funny that she wants you to stop the extreme sport and instead put you behind the wheel of a fastmoving vehicle, as a new, unexperienced driver -- something that's by far MORE dangerous!

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
MMike said:
Screw you!! PCB's make me strong like bull!

420's are pretty lame though. May as well be an FJ. At least go 470........ Laser 2's all the way!!!
do what?
dude are you realy 35 or is N8 just joking? if you are then damn, no symathys from me, but your spelling suggests that your still a teen. i guess i'm kinda lucky because my dad not only rides, he freerides. he's almost 50 and hitting 7 foot drops. but still, stop being so emo, ride your bike to your friends house. my friend w/out his licence pedals an avrage of 2 hours a day to get to where he realy rides. the dude's a hummingbird, but it proves it can be done. my adive: play through the pain for now, get your licence, then enjoy the freedom. oh yeah, and sell your boat for a new bike. realy, that will show your folks how much biking means to you.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
spacemanspiff06 said:
do what?
dude are you realy 35 or is N8 just joking? if you are then damn, no symathys from me, but your spelling suggests that your still a teen. i guess i'm kinda lucky because my dad not only rides, he freerides. he's almost 50 and hitting 7 foot drops. but still, stop being so emo, ride your bike to your friends house. my friend w/out his licence pedals an avrage of 2 hours a day to get to where he realy rides. the dude's a hummingbird, but it proves it can be done. my adive: play through the pain for now, get your licence, then enjoy the freedom. oh yeah, and sell your boat for a new bike. realy, that will show your folks how much biking means to you.

Uhhhh....what? I'm 35...I have my own house.... I think you may have quoted the wrong post.....

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
ok... my take on things...

suck it up and take the classes, get your license, then drive yourself around.

if you won't get your license and she won't drive you, ride there... if it's only a 10 minute car ride, what is it, a 30 minute bike ride???

keep swearing at her... I'm sure that will earn you lots of bonus points.

now, onto your "rationalization"...
I can't comment on your opinion of your parents being lazy... perhaps they are doing what the can to prevent you from doing something they perceive as dangerous (it's called "parenting"... all good parents do it in some form). Lacross is different... it's organized, there are pads, etc. What do you think is more likely... you'll get hit in the heart, or you'll fall on a DH run and break a bone??? I know where my money is. Same deal with football... LOTS of pads there... football is relatively safe, and concussions aren't that big of a deal unless you start getting them frequrently or get a lot of them. Don't know anythign about sailing...

I say suck it up dude and quit your bitching. It's the way of the world... things could be a whole lot worse.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
MancilG said:
As for swearing at your parents well personal I would have laid one right across your face but that’s just me. Your parents should receive more respect then that.
yeah....had i said "****" towards my mom, i would've had my ass beat with a belt.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Tmoney, I don't know you or your mother, but you sound like an ungrateful, lazy punk who takes his parents for granted. You need to hear this from somebody: Suck it up princess. Life is not going to get any easier for you. Are you paying rent? How about food expenses? Are you paying anything for the things you have? Who buys your bikes?

Get your damn license, get a job, buy your own car, and drive yourself wherever you want to go. If not, there is no ten minute car ride that you can't just ride yourself on your bike.

But if you are really 35 there is nothing we can do for you.