Quantcast

Paris Mountain Super D/Enduro Weekend Nov. 17 & 18 2012

eccorp

Chimp
May 18, 2010
Its official. This year we will be holding 2 days of races.

Saturday: Super D
Race will start at top parking lot at the Sulphur Springs trailhead across from the top parking lot and end at Shelter A&B.

Sunday: Enduro
Every bit of the trail that the park has to offer to Mtn. Bikes. Uphill and Downhill. More Downhill than uphill.

We will also coincide with Upstate SORBA's Cranksgiving Weekend.

Events will include:
Alley Cat Downtown Greenville Friday Night
Pumptrack Contest at Gateway Park in Travelers Rest for the Post Super D party.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
NO DH? What's the difference? I thought Enduro and Super D were about the same?
Very different, the point of Enduro is the timed sections are nearly 100% downhill. Think of it as a fun ride around Paris Mtn on your trail bike with your buddies and timing 2-3 downhill sections.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
NO DH? What's the difference? I thought Enduro and Super D were about the same?
Hey Chuck, I hear ya on the NO DH, but in all honestly, with the old dh trail gone, there is not a place there to have a proper DH race. The Super D should be cool and fun, but I am more stoked on this whole enduro thing.
Enduro is the event that the Southeast is built for, and I would like to see more of these races pop up over our region. Pisgah could not be more perfect for these as well.
Paris has some great trails for an enduro. They could time the long Kanuga trail to the lake, time short kanuga to brissy all the way to the road, and time the new sulpher springs trail as well. It should be a fun event.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Debbie Downer here. Who's the masochist that put together that promoters nightmare of a schedule? :panic:

Gotta admit though...if you're a glutton for MTB with legs of steel, that's one action packed weekend. The winner of that omnium might pee blood/beer at weeks end.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
Debbie Downer here. Who's the masochist that put together that promoters nightmare of a schedule? :panic:

Gotta admit though...if you're a glutton for MTB with legs of steel, that's one action packed weekend. The winner of that omnium might pee blood/beer at weeks end.
Sweatiest person there will be whoever is running the timing.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina

Naw its not that hard to pedal all of the trails at Paris at all. To think of it, it wouldn't be very different from any normal ride there for most of us downhillers, since we usually end up pinned on the downhills anyway.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Oh, I'm saying if you wanted to ride the Alley Cat Friday (drinking), race Saturday (followed by drinking), race Sunday (intermittent drinking) and finish by riding the pump track (hard liquor), you'd be wiped out and in need of a detox. :thumb:

eccorp

Chimp
May 18, 2010
Hey Chuck, I hear ya on the NO DH, but in all honestly, with the old dh trail gone, there is not a place there to have a proper DH race. The Super D should be cool and fun, but I am more stoked on this whole enduro thing.
Enduro is the event that the Southeast is built for, and I would like to see more of these races pop up over our region. Pisgah could not be more perfect for these as well.
Paris has some great trails for an enduro. They could time the long Kanuga trail to the lake, time short kanuga to brissy all the way to the road, and time the new sulpher springs trail as well. It should be a fun event.
Yep the new new sulphur springs reroute did away with all the technical factors on the old Dh trail.

Also add Kanuga to Brissy to Pipsessewa to the levy as a timed stage.

Until I can get the park to agree to the trail E.T.D. flagged, the race this year will be Super D and Enduro. We are also scouting out other locations to hold a DH race. That will most likely be 2013.

eccorp

Chimp
May 18, 2010
Will only the downhills be timed in the Enduro?
We are working on the stages. I know we will have some timed downhills and some timed uphills. We will post up the stages on the website once we get input. We just presented the idea to the park and they were very receptive.

Everyone's input and ideas are welcome.

And as for uphills we will be working on these to be fun for everyone. We reserve the right to make these more difficult if you are dressed in full lycra.

Last edited:

eccorp

Chimp
May 18, 2010
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Beginners-Guide-to-Enduro-What-the-hell-is-it-2012.html

Please resarch and understand what an enduro is before you try to put one on. If at all possible go ride one first.
I have read the article numerous times as well as researched every Enduro I can find. I have ridden the first stage of the Pisgah Enduro, and promise you all that the Enduro will not be a xc race. Like i stated earlier We are still planning the stages. The event will follow the guidelines of a true Enduro. not to be confused with an endurance race.

My goal is to give everyone a chance to go as fast as you can on every downhill that the park has to offer without being yelled at or complained about to the park. We will shutdown trails for each stage so you can do what you enjoy the most.

0110-M-P

Monkey
Jun 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Don't mind pedaling my bike (will be plenty of opportunity for that in the Super D and in between Enduro stages I would guess), but like the idea of only being timed on the parts of the Enduro that are mostly downhill.

Last edited:

eccorp

Chimp
May 18, 2010
Then you agree that there will be no timed uphills. Because there are no timed uphills in Enduros. Timed uphills are part of a Super D. :D
Yes we agree not to time the uphill. We also agree to make the uphill worth climbing.

BrianHudson

Chimp
Sep 26, 2009
Mobile Alabama
Any idea on a ball park milage for the even? I'm hoping no more then 15or20 miles a day but if not I'll just have to suck it up. Is it going to be a one or two day race? I think the riding between timed sages should be scheduled so that cat 3 XC boys and guys on big 6" travel bike can make there start times without killing themselves. I'm really looking forward to the event and will sign up no matter what you decide.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Any idea on a ball park milage for the even? I'm hoping no more then 15or20 miles a day but if not I'll just have to suck it up. Is it going to be a one or two day race? I think the riding between timed sages should be scheduled so that cat 3 XC boys and guys on big 6" travel bike can make there start times without killing themselves. I'm really looking forward to the event and will sign up no matter what you decide.
I'm pretty sure that if you ride all of the bike-legal trails at Paris Mtn it totals about 15 miles.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
I'm pretty sure that if you ride all of the bike-legal trails at Paris Mtn it totals about 15 miles.
Yep, and that is starting at the very bottom with a little doubling back going on as well. A good bit of those trails will not be used for the enduro. I bet the total mileage for the enduro race considering what they are planning on using will be in the 12 mile range, give or take.

brado1

Monkey
Jan 2, 2008
G'Vegas SC
Super D and Enduro event info

weekend event info

Cranksgiving Weekend | presented by Upstate SORBA

www.upstatecranksgiving.org

*Registration will open September 3rd. We will offer discounted registration until October 3rd.

Early Bird Registration will be $40 per event and $70 for both Events.

After October 3rd registration will increase to $45 per event and $80 for both.

There is a rider cap of 100 participants for each event. So sign up early as it will be worth the ride.

Cranksgiving Weekend | presented by Upstate SORBA

www.upstatecranksgiving.org

Last edited:

eccorp

Chimp
May 18, 2010
ENduro is no more than 18.5 miles total riding, timed and non timed. it all depends on what routes you take to the timed sections. Enduro will start at 10 and we will do awards at 4. Will give you plenty of time to complete. Took me 4 hrs at a snails pace with several breaks. i have completed same route in 2hrs.