Quantcast

Paris Mountain Super D/Enduro Weekend Nov. 17 & 18 2012

brado1

Monkey
Jan 2, 2008
G'Vegas SC
i gave you the simplest of answers, i will speak slowly this time: e v e r y t r a i l out there; that is "bike legal" is the course.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
i gave you the simplest of answers, i will speak slowly this time: e v e r y t r a i l out there; that is "bike legal" is the course.
Understood. I will rephrase. Is the point of the race to NOT tell us what the starting and ending points of each individual leg are?

If that is the case, then I go in understanding that true locals will have a knowledge advantage of the legs. Those not quite local like myself will be at the same disadvantage (or on equal ground if you prefer) with those who have never ridden there.

Obviously there are locals who know what all the legs are and your sentence means something to them. And as with all races, there will be a group of locals who know exactly the sequence and segments as well, which I have NO issue with.

Just trying to get some morsel of familiarity with how to pace myself on what looks like a really, really long day. :D

brado1

Monkey
Jan 2, 2008
G'Vegas SC
No local racers know what the exact routes are; promise. just Jarret and i know 'em; that said, there will be a handful of volunteers that'll know Tuesday night when we have our volunteer meeting... Those are volunteers helping with the timing and intersection marshaling /course marking.

We decided it's not really fair to the out of State riders by posting up the Stage Routes and having the locals are ripping it up a week before the race.

Can't help you on the pacing it's gonna start with a lemans star run for your bikes with bigass climb (non timed) but there is a couple of cash grabs for the fastest up the hill so it's going to competitive. Stages are first come - first served. riders will leave the stage starts in 1 min intervals. There are two big trail climbs (a couple miles each) and a big 2 mile road climb out (the climbs are not timed)

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Yep, no locals know the routes. The only thing we know is they will use every downhill that is out there for the Enduro. With that being said, I like not knowing the full routes and think it will bring an element of suprize to us all. For those of you that are just under or just over an hour away from Paris Mt, you have no reason not to come ride here. Its one of the best trail systems in the South East. Its your own fault not knowing this trail system.

Can't wait for the event next weekend and hanging with great people. Please make sure to thank all the great people that made this event happen. Also the Park Rangers!!!

Cecil

eccorp

Chimp
May 18, 2010
One of the routes was posted earlier in this thread. Which will be the final stage of the Enduro. The others are on the backside of the Mtn.

As for pacing yourself start stroking slowly then give it a couple hard thumps then resume stroking slowly and repeat.

Guys and gals to the north will have the advantage as y'all have more elevation to climb and descend. Loop Greenslick 3 times and you will be fine for the Enduro.

mlin32

Chimp
Apr 12, 2012
WNC
I'm not gonna be able to attend the race, but for those who are in the Asheville/Brevard area, I'll echo the fact that if you can do most of the Bent Creek forest trail system, you'll be fine. Nothing too difficult at Paris Mtn, I routinely ride it on my hardtail. Even the descents aren't that bad at all, if you can call them that.

brado1

Monkey
Jan 2, 2008
G'Vegas SC
Start is a Lemans start run for the bikes at 1,064ft elevation and the end of the climb to Stage 1 is about 1,700ft. about 3 to 3.5 miles (mostly all trail - a little pavement)

This is a Non-timed Pre Stage; however, There are Cash grabs for the Fastest up the hill

Stage 1 2.19 miles (timed)

don't have profiles on the Non-timed climb outs. the Stage 1 to 2 climb is +/-3.5 to 4 miles; you do the math: you go from 1,192ft elevation to about 1,700ft. then down to 1,500ft. to start Stage 2. (climbout is all trail)

Stage 2 1.44 miles(timed)

the Stage 2 to 3 climb is ~ 4 miles; you go from 1,108ft elevation up to just over 1,700ft. to start Stage 3. (climbout is 2/3 paved road 1/3 trail)

Stage 3 1.73 miles(timed)

the Stage 3 to 4 climbout (non-timed) is ~ 5 miles; you go from 1,192ft elevation up to just about to 1,350ft., then down to 1,108ft., then up to 1,500 ft. (climbout is 1/2 trail 1/2 paved road ) to Stage 4 start.

Stage 4 2.82 miles(timed)

after stage finish, about a 3/4 mile flat road ride back to staging area.

MAP

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3oam8wkijvsqp8f/PM-Trail Map3-9-2012(1).pdf

Last edited:

brado1

Monkey
Jan 2, 2008
G'Vegas SC
we're working on that with the park management. Normally Saturday's all the trails are "hiking only", but since we're doing the Super D running on the front end of the park they might as well open the park to bikes. Nothing official yet. Note: If riding in the Super D on Saturday you'll actually be on some of the Enduro course for Sunday.

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
I think we will come down saturday night if we can't ride on saturday, none of us are racing the super D. I wouldn't mind paying $5-10 to be able to ride saturday if that would help. I'm sure a lot of other people would be down also.

brado1

Monkey
Jan 2, 2008
G'Vegas SC
the problem we have (as organizer's) is we're not in control of the rules of the State Park. They have a No bikes Saturday Rule...they did allow us to use 1 trail for the Super D. we've asked the Park Manager "since we're already having a bike event going on 1 trail on a Saturday can we just open all the trails just this one Saturday? We'll see, as soon a they make a decision we will post it up ASAP

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
Awesome thanks, Boone people will be stoked if we can ride saturday.
Any chance of riding the super D on saturday if you're not registered?

Last edited:

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Prizes!!!! Prizes!!!! Prizes!!!! Its almost race time!

The Fly Racing Gear for prizes showed up yesterday. Lots of nice stuff.
www.flyracing.com

MRP has given 2 Gift Cards for your choice of Chain Guides.
http://www.mountainracingproducts.com/mrp/

Loaded USA has shipped out some goodies and Gift Cards:
www.loadedusa.com

Transition Bikes has given a TransAm 26" frame:
http://www.transitionbikes.com/2013/Bikes_TransAM26.cfm

Smith Optics has given some nice Glasses and gear to give out:
www.smithoptics.com

ODI has once again stepped up with some great prizes too:
http://www.odigrips.com/

Big thanks to all the Sponsors that stepped up to help out!!!

Cecil:thumb:

Last edited:

eccorp

Chimp
May 18, 2010
Awesome thanks, Boone people will be stoked if we can ride saturday.
Any chance of riding the super D on saturday if you're not registered?
Only if you are ninja about it. USA Cycling will not allow it unless you are registered as their insurance covers only race riders. I am all for you to ride but just be stealth about it.

brado1

Monkey
Jan 2, 2008
G'Vegas SC
Are you guys saying where the Super D will end? If it is secret that is cool, but if not, I want to know where it starts and ends. :D
Starting at the road , across from top parking lot>new section of Springs tr. > mountain creek tr. > Shelters A&B

Last edited:

brado1

Monkey
Jan 2, 2008
G'Vegas SC
This Event (super D & Enduro) is SOLD OUT thanks to everyone who pre-registered online.

Note: you will have to pay $2 to enter the park and pay and $5 USAC day of license for those not USAC riders.

same applies for Sunday's Enduro there will be a $5 day license fee.

the Alley Cat Friday at Chicora and the Dirt Jam at Sunrift are still open to the public, bring bikes to both events.

brado1

Monkey
Jan 2, 2008
G'Vegas SC
we tried to work w/ USAC for the Insurance purposes. They wanted an official at the Start and Finish of every stage plus a head official (who's local) ... there was no way we could pay travel expenses and boarding for 8 officials.

so we had to get insurance through another group. that's the day of fee for the Enduro.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Just a heads up for you downhillers doing the Super D. The way they have it setup it is more of a XC time trail than a Super D. It was already going to be pedally with a decent amount of uphill, but now they have it starting below the top of the course. So, out of the gate you have a solid minute or so of climbing before you even get to the start of the downhill. Then it finishes with another good climb up to the A and B part instead of finishing at 5 and 6. Time wise, you will spend more times on the ups than the down for sure. XC racers will be sporting a massive chub as soon as they ride the course.
Compared to other Super D races around here like Dark Mtn. and the full Fontana course, this one is going to have at least twice as much uphill, and the DH section while it is really fun is not going to separate us much as anybody can ride down it fast. So pedal hard and grunt and make animal noises.

0110-M-P

Monkey
Jun 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Just a heads up for you downhillers doing the Super D. The way they have it setup it is more of a XC time trail than a Super D. It was already going to be pedally with a decent amount of uphill, but now they have it starting below the top of the course. So, out of the gate you have a solid minute or so of climbing before you even get to the start of the downhill. Then it finishes with another good climb up to the A and B part instead of finishing at 5 and 6. Time wise, you will spend more times on the ups than the down for sure. XC racers will be sporting a massive chub as soon as they ride the course.
Compared to other Super D races around here like Dark Mtn. and the full Fontana course, this one is going to have at least twice as much uphill, and the DH section while it is really fun is not going to separate us much as anybody can ride down it fast. So pedal hard and grunt and make animal noises.
:( :(