Quantcast

Paris Mt DH Race Sept 21st (Greenville Sc)

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
If i dont have a collegiate race that weekend i will definitely be there. FYI, i will probably try to ride there this coming week.

--correction, since the race is on a sunday i'll be there. got any ideas on entry fee $? I'll keep checking for updates.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
If i dont have a collegiate race that weekend i will definitely be there. FYI, i will probably try to ride there this coming week.

--correction, since the race is on a sunday i'll be there. got any ideas on entry fee $? I'll keep checking for updates.
We will have everything nailed down around the May time frame on Fees, Sponsors, Classes, and Start times. This thread and the web site will be updated as things progress.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
By the way guys, you will not new a NORBA or SORBA membership to be able to race. There will be a limit to as many racers we can have though due to the parks request. It is capped off at 100 entries.

PKG

Chimp
Jul 25, 2007
cumming GA
I am soo stoked on this race!!! Great Job guys!!!! I am going to have to up there and ride before then...how are the trails for XC riding?

natedog733

Chimp
Jan 17, 2008
awesome finally somewhere close to me, do yall know what trail its going to be on or are they working on that
thanks

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
What's "Pure DH"?
I would say that the DH run is 95% DH with one small hill (The other 5%). You can carry speed up it with no problem. You can run a 6" to full DH bike out there. Lots of rock, roots, ruts, and tight turns!!!!!

I am soo stoked on this race!!! Great Job guys!!!! I am going to have to up there and ride before then...how are the trails for XC riding?
They just opened two new trails out there that flow well and are super fun to ride. The new run down to the lake off the old Fire Tower trail is the best trail out there, but be prepared to climb out!!!! Thanks goes out to the Upstate SORBA chapter for helping give us two new trails to ride.

brado1

Monkey
Jan 2, 2008
G'Vegas SC
There is about 15mi+/- the lower section and upper section are separated by the road climb up, unless you hike-a-bike up Sulphur Springs - Paris is open to bikes All Days except for Saturdays - Sucks we're trying to get unlimited access to the park - but it has been baby steps for sure - 90% access is better than it was a couple of years ago when the park was hiking only.

Note the lower sections of the Park are heavy traffic areas, a lot a hikers, runners, novice riders, you name it, that section of the park is very heavily congested with Mount Creek trail as the main artery. Upper sections of trails going down to North Lake are a little more open and less user conflicts. Though parking is tight up at the top

Big Map HERE

for those that have never ridden Paris there is a lot of new trail up top ( here are some pix of the trails at Paris Mtn. Slideshow HERE

Definitely some good stuff!

assorted pix:

road climb from Hell

I hope it means pedal out of the gate and then no more, unless you're ridin over to the john! :}
Yeah, pretty much sprint out of the gate and then stay off the brakes. It's fairly rough with roots, rocks, holes and has a lot of turns, but it is not really long. You'll have a little pedal section near the bottom too - all depending on how well you carry your speed it may only be a couple pedal strokes.

brado1

Monkey
Jan 2, 2008
G'Vegas SC
shots from yesterday

More DH course Shots Here is the MAP (from the Top Parking Lot Sulphur Springs (White) down to the Orange Dashed is the DH Course

for more shots >>> Slideshow

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Thanks to both Azonic and Tifosi for already sending us product to give out at the race.

Azonic: Outlaw wheelset, they will be sending more stuff soon
Tifosi: 10 pairs of Glasses

Thanks!!!!:clapping:

Nc Bo

Chimp
Feb 16, 2007
Bend OR/Asheville NC
Wow! You guys look sooo fast through those roots! I'll be home by Sept. and i hope to have a hot new whip by then to wrap wrap down paris on! miss you guys! Bo

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
More pics of the upper part of what will be the DH course at Paris MT. These Pics were taken right before dark so they are not the best in the world and they do no justice on the steepness of the trail. Plans are to schedule a work day soon to clean up the Stumps off the course and put a few burms in. 90% of the trail will stay natural.
Start:

Lots of Rocks and Roots:

Fast Fun Switchbacks:

On another note I would like to welcome Eastern26 as one of our sponsors for the race!!!!!!

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Looks cool Cecil. What kinda times do you think you're looking at (top to bottom)?
I think most racers wil be in the 2min to 2:30min range. The top guys will be under 2mins for sure, but will be a very intense run to get below that.

We plan to have a page on the site with a graph to show elevation change and distance.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
in an earlier post it was stated that NO bikes on Saturday How will we get practice runs in for the race?
Sundays practice will be from around 8:30 to 12. We may run practice a little longer than that. There will be a shuttle and we will ask that no one shuttles themselves due to not enough parking area at the top plus we will need room to turn the truck around at the top. The shuttle is about 2 to 3 mins long so you will be able to get a lot of runs in. More will be stated on the web site late May.

Hope this helps,
Cecil

Jun 11, 2004
Yeah it was tons of fun i wanna go back here soon but my god was it slammed with people in the afternoon!

Yeah its a pretty popular place. There tends to be less hikers on the "lake" side. Also, evening weekday rides seem to have less traffic as well.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Prizes are starting to roll in for the event. Here is a little sneak peak!!!!

Thanks goes out to:
Eastern26 for a DJ4 Frame, Pedals, and Grips
Azonic for a OutLaw Wheelset
Tifosi for 10 pairs of Glasses

More to come.
It you know anyone that wants to help out with sponsorship feel free to PM me.

Cecil

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Yeah its a pretty popular place. There tends to be less hikers on the "lake" side. Also, evening weekday rides seem to have less traffic as well.
I'm whooped today. What's weird is that ride yesterday was fun and the climbs weren't really hard at all...but being in the middle ring the whole time on all that rolling stuff will torch you quick.

I had a guardian angel on that ride though...on our last descent of the day, I stopped to check a rattle at the front wheel. One caliper bolt was gone and the other was backed out halfway. Proceeded to tighten the one and only bolt down and then do the DH race trail.

At the bottom, we had a funny sound...because my front skewer had backed out and the wheel was coming off.

I would compare the dirt there to the equivalent of ramped turns in a clay pot! Good times.:cupidarrow:

Oh..and we now have official SouthEast catch phrases for Dave and Kenan:

Kenan: "I think you're sticking it in the wrong hole"
Dave: "It makes my crotch feel good"