Quantcast

Paris Mt DH Race Write up in GoMag

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I don't mean to be a naysayer here but that was quite possibly the worst written mountain biking article I've ever read. What a negative vibe...is Gary Hyndman a fat-tire-hating roadie or something?!?

Shuttle monkeys? 25 foot rock face? Really?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I don't mean to be a naysayer here but that was quite possibly the worst written mountain biking article I've ever read. What a negative vibe...is Gary Hyndman a fat-tire-hating roadie or something?!?

Shuttle monkeys? 25 foot rock face? Really?
The Thrill of the Hill
By Gary Hyndman

One enthusiast compares it to the thrill of auto racing. Critics deride its participants as "shuttle monkeys."

Regardless of perspective, the long-neglected sport of downhill mountain bike racing is making a comeback. And a couple of local sportsmen are aiming, quite literally, for big air.

?It?s just fun,? says Brad Allen, a twenty-year veteran of mountain biking. ?Downhill is the best part of mountain biking.?

?Downhill racing is the Formula I (auto racing) of cycling,?adds Cecil Linder, a former pro downhiller who partnered with Allen to organize and promote the Paris Mountain event.

Downhill racing can be hazardous, of course. Linder, a Greenville native, hasn?t competed since last year?s national championship when a plunge off a 25-foot rock face left him with three broken ribs and a punctured lung.

Linder grew up as a ?BMX junkie,? racing in its junior division. He took up cross-country mountain biking in the 90s and ? at the encouragement of some fellow cyclists ? eventually gravitated to downhill racing. By 2002, he was traveling the country competing at the professional level.

Jeremy Raney, a Campobello downhiller, notes that the sport was eclipsed by the prominence of road cycling?particularly after American Lance Armstrong began winning his seven consecutive Tour de France championships.

Raney says downhill has also suffered across the topographically challenged Southeast from a lack of training venues and races.But Paris Mountain State Park and the commitment its staff has made to development of mountain bike trails is a regional exception.
Visit parismountaindownhill.com for more information about downhill racing.
I have questions:
1. How much is an annual license to become a local sportsman to hunt this elusive Big Air?:think:
2. Is Brad the coolest guy or what?:weee:
3. Did Cecil get his "pro" license the same place as his "engineering" degree..the University of Westfield Online maybe? :rolleyes:
Hulu - Saturday Night Live: University of Westfield Online@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.hulu.com/embed/9YExSLw_EFV5F-tl47V-bA@@AMEPARAM@@9YExSLw_EFV5F-tl47V-bA
4. If we're topographicly challenged, do we qualify for government funding?
5. Is being a Campobello downhiller anything like being a Capoeira fighter? :ph34r:
6. Is this 25 foot rock drop anywhere near the Greenslick 30 footer?:clue:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

In all seriousness, any press is good press. Happy to have it. One day we'll read an article that doesn't sound like it was written by a high schooler though. :thumb:

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
I need my name in the paper to feel good about myself, because nobody takes me seriously and I still get written off as some freshman scrub. :butcher: :think:

rewster

Monkey
Feb 3, 2007
charlotte nc
Comical article, no doubts.

Did Cecil get his "pro" license the same place as his "engineering" degree..the University of Westfield Online maybe? :rolleyes:

Sounds like a good route for me. This sixth year of college/racing at amateur level is getting old. More info please.

Kenan, insert slacker jab wherever you please

Trilliamiano

Monkey
Oct 7, 2007
Boone, NC
I need my name in the paper to feel good about myself, because nobody takes me seriously and I still get written off as some freshman scrub. :butcher: :think:
dude, just cause your not my butt buddy doesn't mean I think your a freshman scrub... your a sophmore scrub:D. But at least you can scrub:thumb:

Sorry for the thread derail. Any press for our sport is always good press!

Happy Turkey Day to ya'll