Quantcast

Paris Mtn Race THis Year???? Need Input

eccorp

Chimp
May 18, 2010
Meeting with the park on Tuesday. We are giving them the agenda for the race this year in November. We will have race on saturday and the possibility of and ENDURO on Sunday.

For the local guys the reroute of the dh course did away with what most of you would consider a dh trail. I have a few options available.

Option 1:
run the new trail as the dh course this year and try to incorporate the old trail into it.

Option 2:
Run the backside of the mountain using Kanuga to Brissy Ridge to Buckhorn Rd. This would invoke a shuttle truck to get you most of the way up, then you would have to 5-10min casual pedal to the start. Its very scenic. Similar to clemson but a few minutes longer. Super fun fast flow technical in some spots downhill.

Option 3:
Do a super d on the new trail and see if they will let us end it at the amphitheater. If super d though most likely they will make us end it at the staging and shuttle pick up from previous races. Also the bottom of archery range is on the radar for rerouting as well and the trail head from the staging area is already in the process of rerouting.

All input is greatly received.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I havent ridden the new trail, but that last section of trail to the ampitheater is really fund on a trail bike.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I did my first real ride there tonight coming back from injury, and I was thinking about this very thing. As the trails are now, there is not even a reason to take a dh bike to Paris Mtn. It is not needed at all on the new trail. While kanuga to brissy to the road is fun, a dh bike is not needed, and no dher anywhere is going to want to push their dh bike to the top of kanuga when a trail bike will work better for the course.
I don't know honestly. The DH race at Paris was a really cool event that brought something really awesome to the park, but since the DH course was taken away not only did we lose a good close place to shuttle, but Paris lost the only real trail worth riding a dh bike on. So, I guess my vote would be to have a super d down the new trail as far as down as the park will allow.

DaveBethea

Monkey
Jul 22, 2009
Daytona Beach,FL
This is sad to hear. We had a great time last year. Hopefully they can come up with a DH bike course....

The DH race at Paris was a really cool event that brought something really awesome to the park, but since the DH course was taken away not only did we lose a good close place to shuttle, but Paris lost the only real trail worth riding a dh bike on.

Alfie

Chimp
Jun 23, 2012
Greenville, SC
Sad the old DH trail has been filled in and I don't know how you'd incorporate the old DH trail and the new Sulphur Springs reroute, so...

I agree with Jeremy R. Route #2 would not require a DH bike as it's blazingly fast and flowy on a trail bike. With trail bikes there'll be less bitching as people can easily zip up Fire Tower from the parking lot.

My vote is for Option #2 - Kanuga to Brissy

hotrodmarlin

Chimp
Oct 29, 2007
Sucks to hear. I had a great time last year but I can't see going down for anything less than DH. I don't believe you would get as good of a turnout with super d or enduro. just my opinion-

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I vote for a Super D as well. As for the new trail, I would say any DHer would love to ride it. Fun and lots of Flow. I will post a Helmet Cam run of it soon. The old DH trail was a blast and great to have in town, but the new trail was much needed. I would let anyone that has raced any of the past 3 races at Paris to still plan to come race this year as you will have a lot of fun!

Cecil

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
I think an Enduro race would have the potential to be bigger than any DH race there, since it could bring participants from all disciplines of mountain biking together. I really wish there were these kinds of races around the southeast, it seems to be the ultimate mountain bike race IMO.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
OK. I'm in for Enduro. That just described the Charlotte DH race for all those years. Exhausted at the end of the day. Two runs on two separate trails there would woop me...and the promoter. If you can figure out the logistics of it, roll! :thumb:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Still waiting on a shock from Cane Creek. No worries as I still love my Mbuzi. BTW you know how awesome a proper enduro inside Coal Creek would be? I wish I had the motivation to put one on.

adrock33

Monkey
May 7, 2002
kentucky
Doug, Have you heard of any of the "mate" races going on in the UK? No money involved, just a bunch of guys and girls getting together to race. The entry fee is any item you want to bring and put into a prize pot. Then the winner gets to pick his or her prize for the pot and you keep going down result sheet until the prizes are gone. You could put in that Vols trucker hat in the pot. Mooney would definitely come out retirement for a shot at that hat...lol!

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
You could put in that Vols trucker hat in the pot. Mooney would definitely come out retirement for a shot at that hat...lol!
No way I run the risk of loosing that hat. Well, I could go get another at Shell station on exit 122 off I74 for $3.88. But that one does has Krystal's phone number written under the bill. You know, that fat chick from the EC.