Quantcast

Park / Street for a big dude?

valentin_84

Chimp
Sep 26, 2007
Surprise, Arizona
Hey guys, I just moved to the South Bay in LA and the bike scene here is crazy! My mountain bike doesn't do it for me out here and I was thinking something focused towards street / park like a Specialized P.3 or something like that. I'd love to get back on a BMX like I used to ride when I was a kid but I'm just way too big for that now. I'm 5'10" and about 200 pounds, so the 26" wheels and the front suspension is appealing to me.

I'm having a hard time deciding what I should get, what's worth extra money, and what I can save money on. I've been looking at:

Specialized P.3

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/dirtparkstreet/p.series/p3

and the Specialized P.26 Pro

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/dirtparkstreet/p.series/p26pro

One has a fully butted A1 Premium Aluminum frame and the other has a Reynolds 520 Cr-Mo frame. But the price difference is $300 and I have no clue if it's worth spending more money to have the aluminum frame??? Is one stronger? Is weight really worth that much money? Do I have to worry about the ocean air and the chromoly? Or is it mostly the different components that makes the price difference?

I also just ran across the Dartmoor Quinnie

http://dartmoor-bikes.com/hardware/bikes/quinnie

and the Dartmoor Two6Player Pro

http://dartmoor-bikes.com/hardware/bikes/two6player-pro

But damn, these are even more expensive! Are they better than the Specialized?

Anyway, I'm really sorry for the million questions guys. I'm just kinda clueless as to where to start and worried I may blow a bunch of money I could have saved :-/

Thanks!!!!!!

Last edited:

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
sounds like for your purposes, you're better off saving a bit of money and going with a cromo frame. I would probably get the dartmoor over the specialized, though ive always had good experiences with specialized. just remember, you get what you pay for.

valentin_84

Chimp
Sep 26, 2007
Surprise, Arizona
sounds like for your purposes, you're better off saving a bit of money and going with a cromo frame. I would probably get the dartmoor over the specialized, though ive always had good experiences with specialized. just remember, you get what you pay for.
The P.3 (which has the Aluminum frame) is actually more expensive than the P.26 Pro (which is Cromoly). Is that backwards from most brands?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
PLENTY of big guys ride bmx bikes. You didn't mention how old you are/how long you've been off a bmx bike, so that may play into the equation somewhat.

Today you can get longer bmx frames than years past.
wheel sizes come in 20, 22, 24 (for bmx)

bmx bikes are less expensive when compared to mtn bikes and are less fragile.

Just something to think about. Ride/buy what you like, it's your money.

I have no info/guidance for mtn bike stuff.... :/

valentin_84

Chimp
Sep 26, 2007
Surprise, Arizona
PLENTY of big guys ride bmx bikes. You didn't mention how old you are/how long you've been off a bmx bike, so that may play into the equation somewhat.

Today you can get longer bmx frames than years past.
wheel sizes come in 20, 22, 24 (for bmx)

bmx bikes are less expensive when compared to mtn bikes and are less fragile.

Just something to think about. Ride/buy what you like, it's your money.

I have no info/guidance for mtn bike stuff.... :/
Ah, true. I'm almost 29 and I BMX'ed until I was about 17 or 18. Got back into bikes about a year ago when I decided I wanted a more fun way to get back in shape. I stopped by my local bike shop and jumped on a BMX and instantly felt like a clown in one of those ridiculously small cars. Just felt and looked ridiculous! Lol! So, I got a Specialized Allez road bike and dusted my Raleigh MTB off and started hitting the Arizona mountains. Both have been super fun until I got to the South Bay and needed something a little more suited for urban / city riding. I honestly feel awkward on a 20 incher, so I was blown away when I ran across the Specialized P.3 and P.26 Pro.

jeepmauler

Monkey
Mar 9, 2004
Lynnwood
Get what ever you feel comfortable on and gets you back out riding! If you set your mind to it you could get the feel of a 20" again. You would just have to stick with it until the flow comes back.

In my late 20s I rode cruisers and MTB and thought 20" was too twichy. The people I rode with all ripped 20s and made all the mini ramp lip variations look so sick so I bit the bullet. At 30 or 31 I relearned and started riding a 20.......super weird at first but pretty quickly it just clicked. Everything else then seemed weird...lol.

Now I'm 45 and mostly ride DH/Freeride stuff and DJ,here and there, on a Cowan w/26" wheels. Run what ever you feel good on and gets you out shredding.

oh yeah....I'm 5'10" /200#

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
You aren't too big for a BMX bike. Cheaper and way more fun that a 26. I have 3" and 25lbs on you and ride this Cult that I paid $200 for.

Last edited:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
You aren't too big for a BMX bike. Cheaper and way more fun that a 26. I have 3" and 25lbs on you and ride this Cult that I paid $200 for.
22"s have replaced 20"s for me. and I still love 24" and 26". I've just come to the point in life where I have admitted that 20"s are too small. (I see you're running tall bars, riser stem, and spacer--that definitely helps. But, in a sense, it's a work-around. Why not make the whole bike, including the wheels, proportionally bigger? The traditional mid-school setup, (7.75"-ish bars, zero rise stem, no spacers, heavy ass bike) was a low-back killer for tall guys.

MacNeil Deuce Deuce with 9" bars and Faction Zeitgeist 22"

InDust Cuatro 24" and InDust 2ton 22":

Blackmarket Mob 26" and Liquid Feedback 24" with 9" bars

Liquid 24":

Last edited:

Ozell18

Chimp
Oct 2, 2013
I believe it is due to most of the components are a little more expensive, the fork on the p.3 is a step up from the p.26 pro, cranks are name brand instead of no name bmx cranks, it is probably 2-3 lbs lighter. In my honest opinion the cromoly one will suit your needs better, the p.3 is just overkill and mainly built for big hits.