Quantcast

Park Suggestions for 2008

TMXownrsgrp

Chimp
Oct 19, 2007
NJ
Away from the parking lot and water park make a playground with tables and sun shade. Mothers and the kids want to come and hang with DH Dad but have nothing to do. In my case my wife also rides and we could take turns at a base camp playground while the other gets in a few runs. The folks spending $$ at your spot are mostly those with families. What better way to introduce kids to the scene and sport. Plant the Diablo seed early. Not to mention this relieves alot of the "when are you gonna be back home" stress because now its a family day.

spylab

Monkey
Feb 7, 2007
I have a couple thoughts, probably ones already under consideration by the Diablo Crew:

-It would be real nice to have a 4 or 5 foot wide path of baby smooth fire road trails in certain spots. Though most of Diablo's trails have some aspect of technical rock terrain to ride, it's all the loose stuff on the fire roads that is no fun to ride:

1. At the bottom of the mountain, the last stretch before getting back to base. There is a real narrow strip that is not loose rock, but by the end of the day my hands are screaming trying to rattle through this section.

2. From the top of Alpine to Crap Chute, it'd be nice to be able to push this section full throttle without being tossed around by loose rock covering the entire path.

3. The short jaunts between Lower Dominion & Upper Breakout, Upper & Lower Breakout and Lower Breakout to Chute de Satchum. The golf-ball size loose rock is tough to stick through, and it would be a blast to carry full speed through this series of trails.

-I mentioned it a while back, but in the second 'section' of OTB there is a downed tree that is positioned before a potential kicker a bit dangerously. It is a lip-up rock feature that could be taken with a lot of speed, but the tree trunk is in a place that you would hit your head or torso while in the air.

-This past year the US Open Berms and Pro Jump were built as special features for the Open. I feel at this point it might benefit to open up Frog Pond, the berms and the jump for regular use—*based on the speculation for development in 2008, it seems that some type of new exclusive trail or feature will be built for next year's Open. As stated in another thread, it would be nice to have another option to finish off the bottom of the mountain besides being filtered either to the progressive drops or Lower Ripper.

-Seemed like BMW was closed on the lower half and only directed to Stigmata most of the season (all of the season?). Not sure what the story is there.

-Along the above line, I know that 'technical' is the key word for BMW, but I don't think I am alone in thinking the run-in to Stigmata is a little ridiculous. It's fine to keep that section a little rugged, but it seems overwhelmingly difficult to navigate that section of trail, especially considering you have a quick right-hand turn then down Stigmata itself. Another thought might be to prune the 'go-around' a little better there— starting on BMW, you really have no choice but to get to Stigmata. If my sanity is too intact to ride the slab, it seems like the 'go-around' (the Intro direction from a past Open) is just as difficult to manage. Might be nice to groom out something that traverses that slope or switchbacks a little before dumping into Stalker.

Truthfully, that's about it. I was about to remark about trails like Mornin' Wood and Upper Waterboy that are in a little disregard, but I think that's what gives those trails so much character. Nothing like a quick gut check going over those first couple of bridges on Waterboy.

Mike

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
please make alpine start at the top and make middle dominion-yea its flat but come on, the trail is almost already there....

but i do have to say even though all the bitching and please do this and please do that, diablo is doing a great job

spylab

Monkey
Feb 7, 2007
please make alpine start at the top and make middle dominion-yea its flat but come on, the trail is almost already there....

but i do have to say even though all the bitching and please do this and please do that, diablo is doing a great job
See, I knew there would be a post like this.

I am not BITCHING. Any suggestion that is made on this forum is not BITCHING. There is a board on Ridemonkey dedicated to Diablo Freeride Park— besides photo content, is there anything that doesn't get flamed here?

I did not bash, blame or condescend the crew in any way. This is a forum, and if there are improvements WITHIN REASON that a frequent rider feels are worth mentioning, where is the harm in mentioning?

I undertand the disdain when a request is made for some outlandish modification to the park, but thoughts like I mentioned should be welcomed by the staff. They are not demands, merely comments on a couple things I think many riders would like to see.

G-RockMurray

Monkey
Jun 27, 2007
yes rocks made out of pillows would be great.....ya'll should see my side lol nasty from victory sunday.

anyway im looking foward to all the new stuff in 08......gonna be a long winter :(

factorymx

Monkey
Jul 24, 2007
alpine from the top !!!! thats the best idea i heard yet. and softer rocks wouldnt hurt either, and also if there is a way you guys can make it so if someone trys to do a jump or drop and screw up, a portable foam pit shows up before they fall.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
how about on upper breakout? right after lower dominon. make those 2 little "roller" things tables the size of the one thats already there. so there would be 3 little tables that you can hit fast and scrub them.

pain

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
how about on upper breakout? right after lower dominon. make those 2 little "roller" things tables the size of the one thats already there. so there would be 3 little tables that you can hit fast and scrub them.
with a huge berm at the end

chatua

Chimp
Jul 3, 2007
I don't really have many gripes. Just want the berm after the small hip jump to be higher so people won't have to brake as much.

I'd also really like to see a big gap jump somewhere on the mountain and a Whistler esque boneyard but that's wishful thinking.

laguna

Chimp
Feb 26, 2007
Would love to see a jump right next to the US Open jump about half the height, maybe 2-3 feet so I could get comfortable and progress up to the US Open jump.

runnin12s

Monkey
May 14, 2007
Waverly, NY
As long as everyone is making suggestions, I have one. Has anyone ever done the Duryea Downhill put on by Reading racing? If so and you happened to pull the balls to hit airfield will agree with me. I'm thinking a 12 foot high lip, clearing over a 15 foot flat as well as over another path with a great 45 degree transition on the back side of said trail. You know one that you have to hit at about 25+ mph to clear. The new drop on tempest kinda resembles it but you need to get the takeoff twice as high, the gap twice as long, go over another trail (or access road, ha that's it over one of the access roads that would be awesome) and a steeper transition on the back side. Thanks in advanced for making it Trail crew. Imagine the photo ops there.:lighten:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
See, I knew there would be a post like this.

I am not BITCHING. Any suggestion that is made on this forum is not BITCHING. There is a board on Ridemonkey dedicated to Diablo Freeride Park— besides photo content, is there anything that doesn't get flamed here?

I did not bash, blame or condescend the crew in any way. This is a forum, and if there are improvements WITHIN REASON that a frequent rider feels are worth mentioning, where is the harm in mentioning?

I undertand the disdain when a request is made for some outlandish modification to the park, but thoughts like I mentioned should be welcomed by the staff. They are not demands, merely comments on a couple things I think many riders would like to see.
i was not talking about u, alot of these usually end up being productive then people just start bitching about "that rock" on "that trail" that mad them have "that fall"

-not u

NJMX835

Monkey
Feb 17, 2007
Highland Lakes NJ
What would be cool would be to scatter some smaller wooden drops (like 4 to 5 feet) on different trails around the mountain so newer riders have more of a chance to get used to drops before stepping up to the bigger ones.

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
What would be cool would be to scatter some smaller wooden drops (like 4 to 5 feet) on different trails around the mountain so newer riders have more of a chance to get used to drops before stepping up to the bigger ones.
progression drops? tempest drops? flume?

IAMAPRO

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
I have herd from riders who are not pros that Dominion to Alpine is the easiest way down - sorta the intermediate line. The only problem is that lower breakout is not begginer friendly. There could be a line that runs from upper breakout to Alpine that is less Intense(no pun intended).

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
progression drops? tempest drops? flume?
totally agree. Diablo is spot on for beginner drops. The first drops I hit were the progression drops, and then did the phantom and the one next to it this year...

And I agree with Iamapro, a trail that could connect lower dominion to alpine that keeps in the spirit of those trails would be kind of cool, all jumps and less bumps.

alpine from the top would be dreamy.

my one original request...please move diablo closer to my house so I can ride faster like the kids wearing matching gear and riding sundays

chatua

Chimp
Jul 3, 2007
I have herd from riders who are not pros that Dominion to Alpine is the easiest way down - sorta the intermediate line. The only problem is that lower breakout is not begginer friendly. There could be a line that runs from upper breakout to Alpine that is less Intense(no pun intended).
But they could always take the fireroad. I think L Breakout is the easiest rock garden trail anyways and from my experience, most people don't really mind if there's a really slow beginner holding them back so it's ok for the beginners to go slow through the trails.

O yea, I really don't think Diablo needs more jumps. It's more of a freeride / downhill park. Hitting jumps on big DH bikes isn't half as fun as doing them on hardtails, and no offense to anyone but it'd be stupid to go to Diablo just for the jumps since anyone can build them somewhere or go to a skatepark.

runnin12s

Monkey
May 14, 2007
Waverly, NY
I have to agree about no more "dirt jumps" per say. But I am referring to a line that's more like "launches" every few hundred hards. Nice easy launches with huge gaps and smooth transitions. I've ridden a few places before that have had these and it's amazing the size gaps that you can do when you have nice flowing trails. It's not that much to clear 20-30 foot gaps when you have 20-30 mph without huge lips (say 35-40 degree takoffs). These types of flowing jumps actually feel better on full squish than on hardtails because you can keep your flow better. Diablo is kinda Ironic in the fact that it is primarily a downhill type place but everytime I hit the jumps there I am wishing I had my hardtail. I'm not complaining about the jumps at all just stating that a jump line more designed around high speed, big travel, big hit bikes would be a great improvement.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
those are the exit 29 trails in washington, i think.

The problem with those is that if you wreck, you die. At diablo, if you wreck, you most likely dust yourself off and start over. That's one of the best things about the mountain, and something I think herbold overlooked in his review: Diablo is one of the best places to go for beginners. There are steeps and smooth sections, and there are enough trails on the mountain so you're not constantly getting run over. More importantly, every stunt has a go-around and most drops and jumps are crafted so that if you wreck, you don't die. Big gaps like that are asking for lawsuits, so if you want to ride that kind of stuff, build it illegally where it's your own dumb fault for jacking yourself up.

That being said, a nice smooth trail with boosters would be kind of fun, just no big gaps on a lift mountain.

Ironjunk

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
I think a lot of people would appreciate more trail signs with arrows and such pointing out trailheads and forks in the trails.

dest

Monkey
Aug 1, 2006
NYCity
my one original request...please move diablo closer to my house so I can ride faster like the kids wearing matching gear and riding sundays[/QUOTE]

What makes you think that were all kids!!:disgust:

NYC here repin.....

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
The biggest drop out there is about 8' (sure you can mach out and launch down the tranny, thats how we do, but lets stay focussed.)

What I would like to see is taking advantage of natural terrain for drops etc. I dont know if there is anything conducive to this type of building on the vernon peak area, but I hope so! There are virtually no natural drops on the mountain, and they are ALL to flat.

It would be dreamy if they could get the Granite area accessible - theres some steep ass crap in there, bound to have some natural fall/drop lines.

tree hugger

Monkey
Jul 18, 2007
I agree with Huck 100%. before anything else I would like to see you guys keep up the momentum and build trails and features using natural terrain. looking forward to the updates next spring!

if you get bored, here are a few more suggestions;

1. reroute the end of Domboo over that old rickety wooden bridge and back into the woods.
2. Open Frog Pond or build a new trail to the fire road. close the section behind the red shack that merges with Dom's Denial
3. build a right hand berm after the SRAM berm, sending riders down the hill away from the progression drop runout
4. a sun shade at the base of the lift
5. truck in a billion tons of dirt and level off the section from the reservoir to the race start area.

spylab

Monkey
Feb 7, 2007
why dont you build this stuff your self and btw way. spylab if you want all that stuff done go to a new mountain.dont bitch

Point out one spot where I was "bitching."

At the beginning of the year, the third table on Lower Dominion had a poorly-shaped lip that was kicking riders to the left. People voiced their opinions on the old Diablo forum, and the trail crew listened. That last table is darn near perfect now. This is the place to make suggestions, because we all know the staff is listening...

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Point out one spot where I was "bitching."

At the beginning of the year, the third table on Lower Dominion had a poorly-shaped lip that was kicking riders to the left. People voiced their opinions on the old Diablo forum, and the trail crew listened. That last table is darn near perfect now. This is the place to make suggestions, because we all know the staff is listening...
People miss the idea of what Forums are for. They seem to think its a place to make unsupported suppositions and assertions and deride people who actuall discuss and propose rather then tell and suppose!

FOOP.

'Bitch' Away!