Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My TS-2 was not blue, so evidently not all that important to make things blue.

My headset/BB punch thing is also not blue.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
As someone who has had worked a bit in fashion I kinda get where the argument stems from - they have their own unique brand image and don't want others to look similar as it hurts their brand. The problem is in fashion it works for patterns, it's clear the sued company is not imitating park tools so it's not a knock off. Also this is idiotic they get to use this argument here but fashion brands can't use this argument to fight obvious knock offs because clothing is classified as a useful object (sorry don't remember the correct legal term) in US while bike tools aren't even though how shit looks matters a bit more in fashion.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
As someone who has had worked a bit in fashion I kinda get where the argument stems from - they have their own unique brand image and don't want others to look similar as it hurts their brand. The problem is in fashion it works for patterns, it's clear the sued company is not imitating park tools so it's not a knock off. Also this is idiotic they get to use this argument here but fashion brands can't use this argument to fight obvious knock offs because clothing is classified as a useful object (sorry don't remember the correct legal term) in US while bike tools aren't even though how shit looks matters a bit more in fashion.
Yeah, I don't think something as simple as a color is really unique intillectual property. Design aspects like the shape and function, sure, but just the color? If they were making blue plastic/rubber handles that fit over the "grip" area of the tool, like on the pedal wrench, then yeah, they are imitating the form. Do you have to license the color red because Ferrari makes red cars? Sure, some brands use color to HELP associate their identity, but IMO that's not enough to form the basis for unique intellectual property. It could be used as evidence that someone is trying to obviously imitate your intellectual property, but by itself such as an annodized bearing tool that Park doesn't make, then that's just some lizard bullshit. Everyone knows that annodization shades vary by batch too, so just offering in blue is not enough to claim they are infringing. Maybe Park needs to make some better shit, I know that's true in some areas.

What if you are colorblind? You'll never even know you were using the wrong tools :(

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Look, you can talk about this till you are blue in the face.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I'm going to patent reflective coatings on sockets and spanners.

Also, the only excavators I can think of that aren't yellow are Komatsu and Daewoo/Doosan, I think Hitachi ran their brand's green color a good number of years ago.

Last edited: