Quantcast

Park Tool are tools

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I get it. Park blue is a registered trademark of Park tool. If all tools are similar, then what's the point of a trademark?

When you walk into a bike shop and see the blue tools on the wall at least you know they're bike specific tools and not ground down harbor freight junk.

Stihl, Echo, Husqvarna, Dewalt, Craftsman, Ford motors, and almost every company in the world has a trademark on specific colors/shapes.

Nothing new here. They're not suing to put them out of business. They're suing because a company in the same small industry (bicycle tools manufacturers) couldn't pick a different color out of an infinite palette of colors? Good for them. I'm sure RWC will be fine.

Yeah fuck that. A simple cease and desist accomplishes that. And park doesn't make tools like that. Goodbye park. Hello everyone else who makes better shit anyway.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
It's like Park doesn't think their shit don't stink. It does. It's not perfect as they'd like to believe it is. Like kidwoo posted with the guy saying if the color blue does anything for their customers, the perceived value is actually worse because of the Park brand.

Some unsolicited feedback on "big blue". Your hex wrench set. Horrible. Hopefully the actual tools hold up. But the execution of the set, is questionable.

So here we are comparing a 10 year old, worn out set of Pedro's set, to a brand new Park set.
1) The Park way of holding the wrenches are not in numerical order. WTF? Notice I use the Pedros canvas bag for the new Park wrenches. And keep the old Pedros set in the Park holder base. (can't get myself to throw them away yet)
2) Park only labels their wrenches on one side, and it's molded into the handle. Making it hard to know what wrench you have. The Pedros wrenches are clearly marked in contrasting color (white), and on both sides.
3) I do enjoy the slot they give for a 3 way wrench in Park's base. That's nice. But no T25 torx in your set. Notice the Birzman in place of the worn out Pedros. I'd say Birzman is doing things right. Park should take notice. Pedros, I love you to bro.

IMG_20180908_093720 (1).jpg

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Well, talking about un-ergonomic, all Park T-wrenches and especially the three-way. Pedro’s were always better in the shop.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Boo-hoo. Someone sues because their trademark is being infringed upon. "Screw them, they suck! I'm rooting for the tiny, tiny, tiny, little company who makes 3 tools!". Whatever.

If they're not "ergonomic" for your hands, contact Ergon and tell them. If you really need your wrenches marked to tell the difference between a 4, 5, 6 and 8mm (seriously?) then mark them with a colored marker. Feel free to use blue!

Go buy your nikes :rolleyes: Lol

Last edited:

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
It's like Park doesn't think their shit don't stink. It does. It's not perfect as they'd like to believe it is. Like kidwoo posted with the guy saying if the color blue does anything for their customers, the perceived value is actually worse because of the Park brand.

Some unsolicited feedback on "big blue". Your hex wrench set. Horrible. Hopefully the actual tools hold up. But the execution of the set, is questionable.

So here we are comparing a 10 year old, worn out set of Pedro's set, to a brand new Park set.
1) The Park way of holding the wrenches are not in numerical order. WTF? Notice I use the Pedros canvas bag for the new Park wrenches. And keep the old Pedros set in the Park holder base. (can't get myself to throw them away yet)
2) Park only labels their wrenches on one side, and it's molded into the handle. Making it hard to know what wrench you have. The Pedros wrenches are clearly marked in contrasting color (white), and on both sides.
3) I do enjoy the slot they give for a 3 way wrench in Park's base. That's nice. But no T25 torx in your set. Notice the Birzman in place of the worn out Pedros. I'd say Birzman is doing things right. Park should take notice. Pedros, I love you to bro.

View attachment 130295
Nice. Have you submitted said photo to GMBN Tech for Doddy to look at? :D

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Yeah, I don't think something as simple as a color is really unique intillectual property. Design aspects like the shape and function, sure, but just the color? If they were making blue plastic/rubber handles that fit over the "grip" area of the tool, like on the pedal wrench, then yeah, they are imitating the form. Do you have to license the color red because Ferrari makes red cars? Sure, some brands use color to HELP associate their identity, but IMO that's not enough to form the basis for unique intellectual property. It could be used as evidence that someone is trying to obviously imitate your intellectual property, but by itself such as an annodized bearing tool that Park doesn't make, then that's just some lizard bullshit. Everyone knows that annodization shades vary by batch too, so just offering in blue is not enough to claim they are infringing. Maybe Park needs to make some better shit, I know that's true in some areas.

What if you are colorblind? You'll never even know you were using the wrong tools :(

Worst part is - what if you hit your toe on a park tool and it turns blue. Do they now own your toe? Still I agree it's the form. They should copyright a pattern like blue handle over black something with a specific pantone shade.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Colors? Never heard of her...

View attachment 130328
Yes, Nice! Beta, USAG and Silca all have similar designs, do they have a detent so the top piece stays in the centre when you are spinning them?

I bought some Bondhus T handles and they are okay but I'm thinking of getting something like these so I can do non bike stuff up to decent torque levels.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Isnt that the point? Park is arguing 310 turquoise is included in their blue trademark. Park thinks they can trademark all blue spectra from 400nm to 490nm. Utter bullshit.
Depends, if they got Tony Ellsworth running things they just might pull it off...

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Yes, Nice! Beta, USAG and Silca all have similar designs, do they have a detent so the top piece stays in the centre when you are spinning them?

I bought some Bondhus T handles and they are okay but I'm thinking of getting something like these so I can do non bike stuff up to decent torque levels.
They have a detent on each side of the t handle which to me is more useful than in the center. Ha, I look for excuses to use these.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
In Parks defence (sigh) it does sound like they sent the letter saying "oi we patented blue bike tools, can you plz change to something else" and got told to eff off. If they don't purse it now, they're opening the door to Chinese Pork Tools releasing their range of turquoise blue bike tools.

Personally I don't mind their cable cutters and a few other things, and they don't seem to make much worthless junk. They're pretty expensive though for what they are, but most bike tools are. I've been putting off buying a new workstand head until Pork Tools releases one for $43

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
In Parks defence (sigh) it does sound like they sent the letter saying "oi we patented blue bike tools, can you plz change to something else" and got told to eff off. If they don't purse it now, they're opening the door to Chinese Pork Tools releasing their range of turquoise blue bike tools.

Personally I don't mind their cable cutters and a few other things, and they don't seem to make much worthless junk. They're pretty expensive though for what they are, but most bike tools are. I've been putting off buying a new workstand head until Pork Tools releases one for $43
Except blue is also the color for metric-standard tools, so going into any hardware store you are usually able to pick up T-handle hex wrenches and allen wrench sets in blue. I have a few of these myself.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I curate my raw gluten free tools from artisinal virgin vegan Venezuelan mustashioed craftsmen who have swore a vow of silence.

They are currently being sued for using the trademark Crafstmen, when questioned on the matter they refused comment.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Well, talking about un-ergonomic, all Park T-wrenches and especially the three-way. Pedro’s were always better in the shop.
Yeah. It's funny Park tool is defending a brand that is shit. So many of their products are badly made. Pedros is quality, Park tool is crap

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

They are not opening anything. I doubt the producer will post an expose about Park Tool calling all Chinease companies to have some fun time and screw park tool.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
If Park made some yellow tools (like Pedro's), would Pedro's be cool with that? Would you be OK with that?

... Or would you all go crying that Park is trying to look like Pedro's?

Park has been Blue for at least 2 decades. They trademarked it. The senior of the school politely asked the 5 year old boy to stop using it and he didn't. Park told the teacher and the teacher told the kindergarten student to stop. But he didn't. The senior then told the principal and now the 5 year old baby is kicking and screaming and spreading rumors to everyone about the senior. The senior is mature enough to just avoid the 5 year old baby and let him cry, cry, cry cause, that alone, makes him look like a jack ass.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
If Park made some yellow tools (like Pedro's), would Pedro's be cool with that? Would you be OK with that?

... Or would you all go crying that Park is trying to look like Pedro's?

Park has been Blue for at least 2 decades. They trademarked it. The senior of the school politely asked the 5 year old boy to stop using it and he didn't. Park told the teacher and the teacher told the kindergarten student to stop. But he didn't. The senior then told the principal and now the 5 year old baby is kicking and screaming and spreading rumors to everyone about the senior. The senior is mature enough to just avoid the 5 year old baby and let him cry, cry, cry cause, that alone, makes him look like a jack ass.

IT'S THE ENTIRE SPECTRUM OF A FUCKING PRIMARY COLOR!!!!!!!!