Quantcast

Park Tool are tools

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
Except they are trying to claim blue trademark on fucking turquoise. You are cool with Park being the only company that can make blue "bike" tools? When Park doesn't even make a comparable tool of any color...

Excellent work proving that there are lots of blue things in the world. :rolleyes: Still, I'm surprised and disappointed there is no picture of Blue Man Group.

I have no dog in this hunt, but Park is not saying they own blue for all purposes everywhere in the universe. Trademarks are registered under specific classes of goods, in specific territories. And failure to enforce a mark can weaken it. Pretty basic stuff you can learn about if desired.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Except they are trying to claim blue trademark on fucking turquoise. You are cool with Park being the only company that can make blue "bike" tools? When Park doesn't even make a comparable tool of any color...
I said I have no dog in this hunt. I'm speaking in general terms, and certainly the system is not perfect. However the knee-jerk reactions here fail to take into account the company's perspective. It can be hard to know when to enforce a trademark to protect your rights, and companies sometimes miss the mark. (Remember when Specialized went after that Roubaix bike shop? Really dumb!) Still, a company that has made significant investments and developed good will over many years is entitled to enforce their rights.

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
If you have no dog, why attempt to equivocate for Park? I am all for protecting tradmark and even color when appropriate, if one were to read the article and releated links, knee jerk reaction it is not. Why do you fail to see RWCs perspective? My point being, there are reasonable people in this thread discussing the case on its merits.

Your post seems much more knee jerk to my mind.

I said I have no dog in this hunt. I'm speaking in general terms, and certainly the system is not perfect. However the knee-jerk reactions here fail to take into account the company's perspective. It can be hard to know when to enforce a trademark to protect your rights, and companies sometimes miss the mark. (Remember when Specialized went after that Roubaix bike shop? Really dumb!) Still, a company that has made significant investments and developed good will over many years is entitled to enforce their rights.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
^^Because a lot people posting here seem focused on their opinion that no one should be able to trademark a color, or enforce a mark once it's registered. But regardless, I'm done here, carry on.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yes, I believe no one should be able to trademark a color alone. The FSM made colors for all.

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
Strange my take from five pages of this bs: Park exercising trademark on "their" blue would merit a yawn, and this thread likely wouldn't exist;Park claiming the entire blue spectrum (turquoise is not blue) is what warrants their roasting in this thread.

^^Because a lot people posting here seem focused on their opinion that no one should be able to trademark a color, or enforce a mark once it's registered. But regardless, I'm done here, carry on.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
That was a direct answer to your question dumbass. Which is why I quoted it before my response.

Dumbass.

And just in case you lose your train of thought again and can't hold two consecutive clauses together.......dumbass.

Let me know if you need me to number those so you can keep a linear thing going.
Your answer to a simple question is...

Nothing related to what you've argued about!

Who's the dumbass?

Ps. Please use caps lock when you reply. It makes you seem more powerful! RAWRRRRR! LOLOLOLLLLLLLLO!

This is fun.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I was in a bike shop the other day looking at their tools and there was a 3-way Torx tool made by Park that was Green. A lot of their other tools are black plastic with their logo sticker on it. Seems they don't really care about the blue that much and I immediately thought of this thread.
Maybe they should write themselves a 'cease and desist' letter to make them use their blue.
I agree. Yeah, I have a couple of their 3 way tools that has no blue (it's green and black, actually) or it is mostly green and the only blue is extremely little as it is part of their logo. This would be evidence that the blue thing is a bit blown out of proportion.

And just because I like beating dead horses, the dude just has ONE specific tool that happens to be anodized blue, for a specific size. Not like he is making everything blue. I don't get it. WTF.

Oh and for the record their wine bottle opener is the worst tool I've ever owned from them. Got it as a gift, thank god. But I may as well throw it away. It is garbage.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'm getting a tool for removing the other-side bolt on my xx1 cranks.

WTF, how do I even know this is Park Tool?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I'm getting a tool for removing the other-side bolt on my xx1 cranks.

WTF, how do I even know this is Park Tool?

I think I have the same fake Park tool pin spanner from my old Deemax preload adjustment.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Park's trademark and trade dress rights include several shades of blue surrounding the Pantone color code 2935. She shared a Pantone chart with 2935 at center and varying shades extending toward black, violet, green and gray
...with a red-dotted line around the area that Park claims. "Simply put, stay out of the red box," Eichten told Streeter in one email.
Man, I'm confused.