Quantcast

Park Tool PRS-15

May 6, 2004
Hi
Is anyone here using Park Tool PRS-15 workstand? I looked at it constuction and a friend of mine is using it in his workshop so he recommends it. However, he only deals with mega lightweight roadie and XC bikes so I am not sure how would this workstand work with a heavy downhill bike.

I could get one at trade prices so that is also a factor here. So, any comments?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Yeah, I bought one. Didn't pay close to retail on it I'm glad to say.

Not sure I like it to be honest. It's pretty big and heavy when folded up. It takes a lot longer to fold/unfold than other stands I've had. If it's going to stay permanently erected in your garage etc then that's not a problem. I also don't like that the clamp requires you to hold the bike in place mid-air while you do it up. Other workstands I've had have a lower jaw that you can rest the bike on, then tighten the top jaw down. Not so with this park one - you have to try to support the bike one-handed.

Also mine doesn't really rotate with the bike in it, I have to take the bike out, rotate the jaw to the angle I want, and re-load the bike.

I wouldn't recommend it tbh, especially since it's the most expensive stand you can buy!

To answer your main question though, it's easily sturdy enough for a DH bike, probably the sturdiest stand I've used. Just not much fun getting the damn thing in the stand!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have the PRS-15. I spent a long time trying to decide on which stand. As a former mechanic, I was really used to the strength and stability of the PS-2 (their shop stand that bolts to the floor, or a big azz metal plate). A lot of my friends had more or less the range of Park's other work stands, and frankly, they all felt unstable and rather shoddy. I've also encountered stands from a few other brands, again, mostly unstable.

Yes, the PRS15 is heavier than most stands and takes a little bit longer to setup (but seriously, it can still be set up in under 30 seconds), but is probably the most stable portable stand out there.

Also, another nice feature is that the rear two support legs (the shortys) can be adjusted to make the stand nice and stable on uneven surfaces - like in a dirt parking lot at a race.

I am not crazy about the clamp either, I would prefer the handle style that is used on the PRS2 (and a similar one on one or two of the portable stands), but it holds very securely.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I have an older ultimate pro, I highly recommend that stand. You can rotate the bike in the stand easily. You can raise and lower the bike if you want to fairly easily (with the bike in the stand). About the only thing I don't like is the clamping mechanism, it's just so-so, but the style that I have doesn't exist anymore, so it's not really an issue. It is a very light (for it's size) stand, but very stable, far more stable than some of the cheaper Parks. The PRS-15 is somewhat of a copy of the Ultimate Pro, in the general sense.

I put my big 45+lb highline in the stand all the time.

May 6, 2004
I am not crazy about the clamp either, I would prefer the handle style that is used on the PRS2 (and a similar one on one or two of the portable stands), but it holds very securely.
What do you mean? That PRS-15 does the job or that PRS-2 does the job?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
What do you mean? That PRS-15 does the job or that PRS-2 does the job?
Sorry if I wasn't clear. Yes, they both do the job, in that they have strong clamps and are very stable. But the 2 stands use different clamp styles. I prefer the clamp on the PRS-2. Granted you still have to hold the bike up, then use your other hand to engage the clamp, but its easier to engage than the clamp on the PRS-15. The PRS-15's clamp is still PLENTY strong, just isn't quite as quick as the PRS-2.

Just to clarify a few things further, when I was looking for a stand, stability and a strong clamp were my top priorities. The PRS-15 has both of these.

The PRS-2 is Park's Pro-Shop stand. Combined with the base required for it (unless you pour yourself a patch of cement with the proper bolt layout, in which case you won't need the base), it will run in the ballpark of $700.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Overall stability was #1.

Strong clamp for the bike was #2.

Ability to fold up was #3 (there are some park stands that fold up, but have those crazy v-shaped legs that don't fold, which I view as essentially useless)

Weight didn't matter to me. Honestly I found the extra weight helps with the stability.

Its not the smallest when its folded up, but it does nest with itself pretty well. Given the size and the strength of the stand, I'm pleased with its size when folded.

Having to hold the bike while I clamped it in didn't matter either, because I was used to it as a former shop mechanic. Idk why people complain about having to hold their bike one handed. As a mechanic I picked bikes up all day long, you just get used to it. I'm not trying to talk smack here (for once), but if you can't hold your bike for 10 seconds with one hand, either your bike is too heavy, or you need to improve things in the strength department of your arms.

When it comes to work stands, its a still kind of a trade-off: stability and strength vs lightweight and compactness.

-seb, in regards to your issue that you can't adjust the angle of the bike while its in the stand, you might need to lube the support arm. When the back screw is loosened, you should be able to push up and down on the front end of the bike to adjust the angle. Mine is working fine.

Also, with stands that have the clamp jaws oriented horizontally, this generally will require you to clamp onto the frame (and not the seat post), which I cannot advise against enough. It's only a matter of time until you hamfist the clamp and crush a tube on your frame or a brake hose (I've seen both happen). edit #2: this goes DOUBLE for carbon frames and seatposts.

edit: the ultimate pro was the other workstand that I was looking into buying, but I went with the Park b/c it has 4 legs instead of 3, and I wasn't sure if the clamp on the ultimate had the ability to be oriented vertically and not horizontally.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
the PCS10 is another nice option. it has a handle that is a little easier to use than the PRS15's, but still not as nice as their 100-5C clamp like the PR2/3/4 have.
its also a little less bulkier, but not as stable as the PRS15

May 6, 2004
Overall stability was #1.

Strong clamp for the bike was #2.

Ability to fold up was #3
Basically, I spent some time thinking about what would be my deciding factors and those above seem to be crucial. I am not really bothered with weight, simply because if needed at races, I would simply chuck it into the booth and job done.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I use Ultimate Pro. I like the simple clamp mechanism, although I prefer to support the front wheel when I work on any 40+lb bikes.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I use Ultimate Pro. I like the simple clamp mechanism, although I prefer to support the front wheel when I work on any 40+lb bikes.
I'm with this guy, but the clamp will rotate with a 40+ lb bike in the stand. I've had nothing but terrible luck with Park stands short of the PRS-2.

The Ultimate is very stable, light, compact, easy to use, and generally far more affordable than anything Park offers that compares.