Quantcast

Parlee Cycles

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Anyone have any personal experience with these bikes? Looking for comments related to ride quality, durability, customer services, really anything. Thanks.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I haven't owned one, but I have talked extensively with their senior sales/engineer guy.

I think Parlee is one of the best carbon frames out there.

One thing to consider is their lugged frame construction gives you lots of flexibility in terms of geometry and tubing choice. The custom geometry is pretty obvious, but the tube selection is not.

If you were to buy a stock frame from Trek/Giant/Specialized/etc, it is built around a typical rider weight and riding style. Custom tube selection allows you to build a bike around you, and I know you are not the typical 6'1" roadie.

However, you might also consider getting titanium. I think the ride characteristics are better than carbon, the frame is more durable, and the cost compared to a Parlee is similar.

Maybe even cheaper: http://www.bicycling.com/article/1,6610,s1-1-383-16057-1,00.html

Parlee Z1
2007 Editor's Choice Dream Road Bike

Every year Dream Road brings out strong opinions from testers. One thing we all agree on is that the $5,400 (frame only) Parlee Z1 was very slightly better rounded than the other two finalists. It's "masterfully crafted," and "achieves a balance of speed, quickness, refined road feel--and grace." The Z1 is equally adept at all kinds of riding. It's "as comfy in a tight pack as it is on a gentle cruise with your spouse," said one tester.

PRICE: $12,420

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
if your thinking of spending that much on a frameset then Parlee would be a good choice as well as Crumpton and maybe even Serotta, especially if you need some type of custom geometry. don't know which model of Parlee your looking to get, but i have read some positive things about the Z4, their Taiwan made frame. if you think about Ti, it is going to be cheaper than a Z1 and there are plenty of smaller custom builders you can use if you want the custom route. i would love to take a tour of the Parlee shop seeing it's only a couple of miles from my place. as for me, i wouldn't rule out steel.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Thanks guys. I am not talking about retail pricing, I already have a great custom steel bike, I don't want titanium, and I know there are lots of other options for carbon. Again, just curious for comments about these bikes, preferably from personal experience.